Modding troubles

asbj0813

I am in the process of making a new worldspace(essentially a just a new city at the size of Solitude), to serve, as an additional district of Markarth. Check my SkyrimNexus profile for screens if you need to visualize it.

But the problem however, is, that I can't enter dialogue with any of my custom npc's(apart from orcs due to default bloodkin dialogue option). I have tried to setup a couple of merchants, each with their own faction and each connected to a specific container placed fairly close by the npc. I have used default voices and everything seems to be in order, yet I cannot talk to them. Also, I have begun making a simple quest, but like the merchants, I can't choose the topic about the quest. In case you wan't to know, then the whole place has been navmeshed(by hand), interiors have been made, all unique including a player home.

Now, I really wan't everything to work before releasing it, as I wan't to tell a story about the people of the district and include a quest about rotten business and unfair play, conflicts the Dovahkiin must resolve. And I also wan't to make all the merchants function properly, selling everything from hunting gear to artifacts of quetionable origin. But at this point I've hit the wall due to these problems, and it would be a shame to release it if my original intentions were indeed optainable.

So, if anyone has any idea or possibly the solution to this or just more questions, then feel free to leave a comment.

• 1 month later...

"I can't enter dialogue with any of my custom npc's. I have tried to setup a couple of merchants, each with their own faction and each connected to a specific container placed fairly close by the npc. I have used default voices and everything seems to be in order, yet I cannot talk to them."

As to this specific problem, do the npc say anything at all? Such as generic one-liner greetings? If not, then I can't help.

If they are saying the usual random lines, but don't offer to sell you their goods, I would look at these simple things:

1. Once you created your merchant's faction, did you remember to go back and list it in the npc's faction list?

2. In the merchant's faction, under the "general" tab, try setting the location he/she sells the goods to "near self".

3. Are the start/end times in the faction list the same as the times you listed in the vendor's work package?

This is basic stuff, but sometimes when making a lot of merchants all at once it's easy to forget to connect everything. I've made mistakes in each of these points and my vendors wouldn't give the selling dialogue option.

This may sound silly, but are you approaching the vendor at the times you set him/her up to sell?

Finally, on a related point make sure your npc's faction "vendor buy/sell list" option matches up with the CLASS of vendor you selected for your npc. Example, the actor npc's class is "Vendor spells" but the faction vendor buy/sell list is marked as "VendorItemsMisc". That may bring up a dialogue option, but your npc's merchandise list will be empty.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ahondara, it certainly helps. When approaching and "activating" an npc, they do say something generic like "oh, hi", but I won't enter the state in which the player is frozen until he or she exits dialogue. It might very well be that I've forgotten to set the right times for the vendor packages. I'll try working something out.

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions. I appreciate that you would take your time to help me out;)