Ideas for vault that is still active

kagstrom2100

Hi, So for a while now I have been making a vault for New Vegas called Vault 32. Vault 32 is inspired from vault 101 in Fallout 3 in the way that it's still alive.

This vault is going to be still active and alive, the story I got so far is that it's going to be research a way to reverse the effects of radiation but what the dwellers didn't know was that vault tec had planned so that after a certain amount of years there would start to leek in radiation in the Labs. You the courier will somehow find vault 32, be captured by the dwellers and somehow help or destroy the vault. I also plan to include a new race (if possible) and some of fallout's comical moments.

The levels vault 32 will consist of:

Level 1: Atrium / Clinic / Security office / Overseer's office

Level 2: Living Quarters / Diner / School / Common Room

Level 3: Labs / Testing Area

Level 4: Lower Levels / Reactor / Maintenance department / Server Room / Storage / Water plant

So what I need now is your input and ideas to help me make Vault 32 as good as possible :)

the story I got so far is that it's going to be research a way to reverse the effects of radiation but what the dwellers didn't know was that vault tec had planned so that after a certain amount of years there would start to leek in radiation in the Labs.

So maybe things that hint at this slow rad contamination;

The water plant (sewage treatment) might have some glowing radroaches (I think they're in the geck as cut content, if not you could add the glowing ones actor effects to them).

If there are any house plants they could show some unusual colors or blooms as minor mutations.

Hydroponics may have some strangely colored vegatables, and have to constantly cull mutant seedlings that are cropping up (possibly some small mantisis that get into the air ducts from hydroponics).

I have no idea how vault dwellers take care of their dead. Maybe they compost them through a chemical process, maybe they cremate them, etc. But if you do have a funeral/mausoleum type setup (and just about every culture has something to honor their dead). You could have a person or two over the decades that was pronounced dead and was in the midst of going through ghoulification. Then waking up in it's coffin/pod maybe gnaws on bones of the dead, but keeps to the shadows etc. Making for a more traditional view of the legandary ghouls of superstition.

Make the doctors overburned by a steady stream of health complaints.

Also I think heavily irradiated food tastes bad, so maybe some comments from older vault dwellers that the food has sure gone downhill.

Maybe stuff like that?

Does everyone know about the radiation leak, or just a select few researchers/doctors/leadership that keep it from the main populace to reduce panic? If that's the case uncovering/hacking secret terminal entries for evidence to overthrow the overseer might be a quest line.

the story I got so far is that it's going to be research a way to reverse the effects of radiation but what the dwellers didn't know was that vault tec had planned so that after a certain amount of years there would start to leek in radiation in the Labs.

So maybe things that hint at this slow rad contamination;

The water plant (sewage treatment) might have some glowing radroaches (I think they're in the geck as cut content, if not you could add the glowing ones actor effects to them).

If there are any house plants they could show some unusual colors or blooms as minor mutations.

Hydroponics may have some strangely colored vegatables, and have to constantly cull mutant seedlings that are cropping up (possibly some small mantisis that get into the air ducts from hydroponics).

I have no idea how vault dwellers take care of their dead. Maybe they compost them through a chemical process, maybe they cremate them, etc. But if you do have a funeral/mausoleum type setup (and just about every culture has something to honor their dead). You could have a person or two over the decades that was pronounced dead and was in the midst of going through ghoulification. Then waking up in it's coffin/pod maybe gnaws on bones of the dead, but keeps to the shadows etc. Making for a more traditional view of the legandary ghouls of superstition.

Make the doctors overburned by a steady stream of health complaints.

Also I think heavily irradiated food tastes bad, so maybe some comments from older vault dwellers that the food has sure gone downhill.

Maybe stuff like that?

Does everyone know about the radiation leak, or just a select few researchers/doctors/leadership that keep it from the main populace to reduce panic? If that's the case uncovering/hacking secret terminal entries for evidence to overthrow the overseer might be a quest line.

That's some good ideas there, I was thinking that the radiation would have leaked out into the went on the lab level. But small amounts could possibly travel further and get to the food storage making the food taste worst and also to the food production plant ( don't think I will actually make that room, but rather just have them mention it.)

It would be cool to have a sort of cemetery for the vault dwellers, where people don't offend come to visit anymore because of rumors of a monster living there ( which would be a ghoul that woke up in his coffin after they taught he was dead.) Though I think that would be a tough cell to make, possibly modding existent parts and also placing them.

Yes the doctors would be overwhelmed because of the radiation.

I was thinking that no one would know about the radiation leak, but maybe have the player suspect that the overseers was the one responsible for the leak, as we have seen many other overseers that where the cause of the vaults problems. One way you could possibly find out that the radiation leek was planned by vault-tec is to hack the mainframe where the plan was stored. Or maybe the overseers was meant to know but some generations ago that information was forgotten/lost.

The plan I got for the vault lab is that they have developed a more advanced of Rad-x which would protect you better but also have stronger side-effects, which would you say? They would also ( maybe ) have upgraded a advanced radiation suit to a highly advanced radiation suit, but that one also with possible side-effects?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I have been working on this for some time now and have a pretty good idea on how I want stuff to look and work now. I'm currently still working on the interiors of the vault tho.

I decided on this setup:

Level 0: Entrance

Level 1: Atrium / Clinic / Security office / Overseer's office
Level 2: Living Quarters / Diner / School / Common Room
Level 3: Labs / Testing Area
Level 4: Lower Levels / Reactor / Maintenance department / Server Room

I also decided that the entrance to the vault is going to located at Crescent Canyon because that part of the map is really empty and because the radiation levels in the canyon is very high, that would explain why it's undiscovered.

Any input for other people would be great :)

• 1 year later...

maybe you could add some kind of stealth mission, like say, you have to sneak through back rooms in the tops that are guarded to get some dudes secret documents and find the place

and some rogue guy out front of the tops brings you down an alley way to talk about it before hand

he helps you find the vault after you get the papers and then maybe tries to betray you as the door opens?

just an idea