Modpatcher

dreadylein

That worked, thanks dreadylein.

Exact procedure to get it right is from page 8 of this thread, if that helps someone else:

Hey gus, try this

Deleting the backup file and orignial file

Let steam check

Try patching again

This didn't work at first, but adding one extra step solved it for me:

1. I deleted both the patched and the original backup .exe file

2. had steam 'verify game cache' to re-download the original .exe

3. ran the game once first! this brought up the 'completing installation' window and modified the .exe that was just downloaded

4. exited the game and patched

and now it seems to work. So it looks like maybe people who were re-validating to get a fresh .exe and then immediately patching it had this problem, you have to let Steam launch the game and finalize it first, then patch.

Edited by Kitako

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems with the latest steam/xcom patch that only part of the defaultgamecore.ini works.

The 1st part where you can edit/change the items, gear and weapons doesn't work anymore.

I can change the starting cash, monthly income, xp to lvl, etc. Just about everything at the base seems to work, but the field (items, gear, armor, weapons) doesn't.

Anyone else notice this? Did they move the items/gear/armor/weapons to another file with the latest patch?

I accidently and stupidly allowed the exe to connect to the internet once and now no matter what I do if steam is in online mode it undoes all the item changes. If I try to re-patch the exe it requires being connected online to "complete installation" and undoes the changes again. Finally I said hell with it, patched the exe, made it read only, and it just says "Steam is too busy" to complete the installation. I give up.

try deleting all binarys (backup and original) , let steam update, restart and apply patches

After the "restart", then launch XCOM. This makes Steam happy that game is up to date. Then quit XCOM and apply mod patches. Also make sure you modify your host file to block further attempts by XCOM to phone home.

Is it possible to 'dump' the DefaultGameCore contents of the .exe to a text file? I ask because with the recent patch, the DefaultGameCore.mod file packaged with modpatcher is probably out of date, and whatever changes I make, I'd like them to be based on the current settings of the game.

EDIT: nvm, resource hacker was what I was looking for. For anyone else who wants the default Nov1 "DefaultGameCore" settings: http://www.mediafire.com/?3wwik5j2ir3em5c

Edited by willssi

Yes, it's also a better way to do it.

Also, just a suggestion: You don't have to call every mod's file "defaultgamecore.mod"! Modpatcher accepts any name at the command line, so you can call your mod's ini e.g. "MyGameCore.ini" (I prefer ini or txt because they are then opened in notepad on double-click), and make MyMod.bat that says "modpatcher MyGameCore.ini".

Is it possible to 'dump' the DefaultGameCore contents of the .exe to a text file? I ask because with the recent patch, the DefaultGameCore.mod file packaged with modpatcher is probably out of date, and whatever changes I make, I'd like them to be based on the current settings of the game.

EDIT: nvm, resource hacker was what I was looking for. For anyone else who wants the default Nov1 "DefaultGameCore" settings: http://www.mediafire.com/?3wwik5j2ir3em5c

You can simply open the EXE in a text editor. Scroll down to the ini file bits that are used in the .mod file. Copy them to the .mod file. Done.

But no, there's no differences since the game patch. Except maybe some minor tweaks to existing variables.

Edited by BlackAlpha