[REQUEST] Skill requirments for equipment

taro8

I would like to make a request for a system that would add skill requirements for equipping items. Yes, yes not very realistic, but such requirements make game more fun FOR ME. Training myself to use that "Giant sword, +5 to Awesomeness" that I found, makes me feel like my character skills actually matter.

If you dont agree with me, then please go away and dont complain how stupid this idea is.

Ok so the problem with requirements is how to set them and what about items added by mod. So here's my solution: requirement is calculated on the fly using damage (for weapon) or armor rating (for armors and shields) along with item weight (to keep things more varied). The thing is to make a proper function calculating the requirement. When equipping item script check base value of damage/AR and, if corresponding skill is big enough, allows player to wear the item. If not a message appears:

I can't equip this item.

My [skillname] is not high enough.

This item requires [required skill value] [skillname]

I also did a basic formulas for heavy armors included in vanilla skyrim. While making them I realized that if you set requirements for tier 1 items then player wont be able to wear them from start and wont be able to train skills. The solution is to add a condition that any item with requirement below certain threshold is wearable with any skill level.

Also an option to either add or subtract from ALL requirements would be nice, this way player will be able to fine tune the script. And anything that comes up with requirement 100 will have requirement of 100.

So to sum it up:

1. Script runs when player equips an item

2. Script checks BASE damage/AR, item type (light armor, light armor, one handed, two handed, bow, shields use either corresponding armor skill OR block skill) and item weight

3. Script uses item's weight and damage/AR to calculate requirement

4. Script compares calculated requirement to corresponding player skill

5. If;

A) Player skill is equal or bigger, or if item requirement is equal or below set threshold, player equips items as normal

B) Player skill is lower then requirement AND if item requirement is above set threshold, items is immediately unequipped and player is given a message about requirement.

This a VERY crude method, but I think that it would work. Unfortunately I have ABSOLUTELY no idea about skyrim coding, so someone with more experience should try his hand at this.

Check out open office table I made. It's crude, but should do for start. Table