Wanting advice for bundling and building mod files

davethepak

So, one of my mods is started to have a lot of files.

The CK is not so great at building archives, and I have not quite got the hang of Archive.exe yet.

So, just looking for any advice from other modders out there - how do you keep track of all your files in your mod, and make sure they end up in you zip file?

(Yeah, I have a list, then go back and double check ssedit etc. but I feel like I am missing something here..).

thanks in advance.

Well, list like you already said... Rename scripts, give them a name relative to your mod rather then the default string name CK gives them... Use a file naming convention (e.g. "SkiaMK_ModName_XYZMesh", "SkiaMK_ModName_XYZTexture")... Also the mod I am currently actively working on is the only thing not native to Skyrim (i.e. is from Bethesda) installed in my Skyrim directory, every thing else runs through the MO2 virtualization process; ergo, anything in the folders that isn't part of the clean install files is something that belongs to my mod (think of that as a sort of safety net... as well as a way to be absolutely sure you are not using another modders resources in your mod without realizing it.

I do use prefixes and naming conventions, and that helps - but sadly, I have a ton of mods and its a bit...busy in there.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I am honestly surprised no one else has advice - unless of course its basically what you said with better organization.

thanks. :)

I do use prefixes and naming conventions, and that helps - but sadly, I have a ton of mods and its a bit...busy in there.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I am honestly surprised no one else has advice - unless of course its basically what you said with better organization.

thanks. :smile:

Sounds like you're on the right track then... As for the folder being a mess, well, I know it's a major PITA but I would suggest you make a note of your load order, dump your entire Skyrim folder into a 7z or rar archive as a safety/backup; then do a clean install of Skyrim, install MO2, and get your mods reinstalled via MO2. Then, once you have tested and see it's working you can safely delete the archive of your old Skyrim folder. MO2's virtualization process is just simply unbeatable, add to that the ability to have multiple profiles for different mod setups and it's like turning an alley into a super-highway. For that matter, even mods you on working on could be done via a dedicated profile in MO2, then MO2 would collect every new file with directory structure for you in it's "overwrite" folder; just note that you can get some odd issues occurring when you run CK via MO2 and are working on scripts (if you're working on a completely script free mod just run CK via MO2, but using a profile that doesn't load any other mods to avoid using others modders resources by mistake because even if a modder has open permissions on their resources you need to be aware of what you used from whom so you can credit them. In case you need it, here is a link to GamerPoets MO2 installation video

No problem... Who know on the number of answers, some things seem to get lots of response and others non at all...

Edited by SkiaMK

SkiaMK - thanks for the response.

I did a wipe about 8 months ago, and that helped a lot.

I also noticed that the "create archive" option in the CK produces a text file list that you can import and export. I had thought of editing that to get the main tool to help with BSA files, but for some reason I can't get it to respect that changes I have made to the file (I am assuming user error here....just have to work on it more).

Currently I am using NMM for my mod manager, but may give MO2 a shot on my back up pc (I am working on putting a clean install of skyrim on that for mod testing).

thanks for your input, and the video link. I will give it a watch and consider mo2.