Save Game Editor

dhague2cfo

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I hope some skilled soul will soon attempt a Save Game Editor. While I agree that resource management is a critical game element of XCOM, I would argue that the scarce resources should be 'alien elements' and that the player should get enough cash to get at least 3-4 satellites up in the first month. To put it another way, XCOM should have a budget greater than the "UN party budget". Being an old "Hex Hacker" from way back, one of the first things that I did was to take a look at the internal structure of the save game files. To me it appears that the save game files consist of 'text' header and trailer sections with a middle section of compressed data using some 'custom' compression algorithm. It also appears that the save game file includes some form of hash error sum checking. While I was able to locate some values (cash, alloy, elerium, etc), any change would result in XCOM giving a 'corrupted file' error message when attempting to load the edited game file. But if I went back and edited the change back to the original value, that particular save game became loadable again. It will take someone way more skilled and experienced then I am to make an XCOM-UE save game editor. Here is hoping that such a person appears sometime soon!

If what you want is to flood yourself with cash or similar cheaty things, that can be done with the exe modding everyone is doing now (starting cash for example is a value easy to modify). There even are trainers out there, although I have no idea why anyone would want that. Edited by PepprmintButler

Well if such a editor was to be made, I'd like an option to import soldiers from another game, I have grown far too fond of this particular soldier of mine, I really doubt without her I can make myself do another playthrough, just wont be the same without her around.

Easiest way to do that, Teraki, is to take a screenshot of your soldier's character sheet, then use it as a reference for an editor. I get the feeling savefiles probably don't track soldiers in individual files, but rather just as a list of stats in the save itself. (Screenshot is by default f12 with the Steam overlay active.)