Open Community  ·  797 members

Stardew Valley

What are the legality issues of making a mod based on a tv show/another game?

rjames106

Here's the case:

I want to make a custom npc mod which is based on characters from a tv show. I saw a couple of those still available here on Nexus but I also heard of this Naruto mod taken down, because of copyright issues? I understand that even the legality of modding is loose but I want to know some things before I get immersed to my idea.

Is it safe to use the name of the character and his/her quotes for the dialogue?
What are the loose concepts or workaround to avoid copyright conflict for this idea?
And if I do go with this mod idea, what bad can happen? Do I get lawsuits or the worst case scenario is that my mod is taken down?

I know I sound paranoid but again, I don't want wasted effort if I get immersed with my idea and put effort to it so I'm being careful. :laugh:

Thank you!

The issue, I believe, was more about the assets it was using was copyrighted. In order to avoid this, you will need to make each asset on your own. I make music mods that use video game music, however I make them from scratch so they are safe.

So long as you make assets yourself you should be good. :3