Where to Extract Files

BadPeople

• 3 months later...

Where do I extract compressed mod files to in order to see them on the data files menu?

I assume you're new to modding and are asking how to install a mod.

Let's say you downloaded an armor mod, a mod that adds a piece of armor to the game in say, Balmora Fighter's Guild. The way I install mods is I first extract the compressed file on my desktop. Now, after extracting this mod file you will be given several folders normally. The first thing you want to do is find the ESP, or ESM file that comes with the mod. Then dependent on what VERSION OF MORROWIND YOU ARE USING, Steam OR NORMAL, you will want to extract the ESP/ESM files TO YOUR MORROWIND INSTALLATION DIRECTORY.

Instructions on locating your Installation Directory, Steam users: (Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Morrowind/Data Files) <--- This is where you will install all mods pertaining to Morrowind (In the data files folder) except for mods that come with their own installers or alter the game engine through a third party program.

Instructions on locating the Installation Directory on a version of Morrowind NOT PURCHASED FROM STEAM: (Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind/Data Files)

Now, in your typical mod that adds a new piece of armor to the game there will be at LEAST 1 FILE depending on whether or not it uses in game textures, or third party textures. Normally mods use third party textures, meaning NOT ONLY will you have to install the ESM/ESP file in the datafiles folder BUT, YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO CREATE a TEXTURE folder within your datafiles folder and a MESHES folder. Sometimes you will ALSO need to make an ICONS folder.

Now take a look at this mod:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7252

This mod adds a new set of armor to the game.

Extract this mod's files to your desktop by using winzip or some other unarchiving program.

WITHIN the unarhived folder you will see 5 FILES. The readme is a file containing instructions on how to install the mod, but is unimportant in the overall installation process.

The files you will NEED to install your mod are these, the files WITHIN the Icons folder, Meshes folder, and Textures folder. You will open up the Icons folder, copy all files within it, then extract those files to your Morrowind Installation Directory (DATA FILES) into the folder you created called Icons. You do the same with meshes and textures. Lastly extract the .esp FILE into your data files folder (it can just be dumped in there, no extra folder needed esp files are needed to fetch the meshes/textures of mods and apply them to the game giving them the ability to be equipped, and giving them stats).

LASTLY open up your Morrowind GAME. UNDER the Play button you will see a DATA FILES button, click on it, then it will bring up a pop up menu, CLICK ON THE ESP of THE MOD YOU JUST INSTALLED (in the example case I gave, the esp would be called NerevarArmor-v30.esp) then click on the box next to it, which will activate it and fill it with an X meaning it is now being used. Then play Morrowind.