Beyond DefaultGameCore.ini - Analyzing the Game Scripts

Beknatok

I could use a bit of workflow help here due to my unfamiliarity with Unreal.

I'm trying to modify a script to get it loaded through XSHAPE. Assuming I can get the bytecode right, what is it exactly that I should modify? Bytecode in the decompressed UPK file itself, or the .*property files after extracting the UPK? If the latter, how do I get them back into the UPK?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey people.I want ask something:How i can add a Officer Training school at the start of the game on Impossible difficulty?Or made it to build at the start of the game on Impossible? Edited by parkanos

In this post, DaemonJax basically goes over the whole process in broad strokes. If you missed it, it might help.

And yeah, UnrealScripts don't seem to be compiled so much as they're compressed. The "compiler" just seems to tokenise everything and replace the tokens with indices into various tables. There's one for native operators and library functions, one for variable and class names, one for exported functions, and one for imported functions. The most complex thing it seems to do is generate jumps for conditionals (but not for the ternary operator :?, which is actually a single three-"operand" instruction)

OK, with the tips here, I succeeded in modifying the scripts so that any weapon is considered to be free-fireable. It shows that very dirty modifications of scripts work, and invalid code is ignored if the function terminates earlier with valid code.

On the downside, while it says "free aim" in the game, that modification alone doesn't help the UI - it still highlights the aliens and won't let you choose an arbitrary spot to fire at. Let's see if I can get around that.

Note: if modifying a function that does not call any other function, invalid code is okay. That is, if you have a function like

bool somefunc()

{

statement;

anotherStatement;

}

and change it to

bool somefunc()

{

return true;

nowInvalidStatement;

}

it works.

But, if you have a function that calls another function, you have to take care to remove the extra parameters, space for return values, etc., or the game crashes.

Yeah, that's the expected result, but I believe Solver is saying that it actually DOESN'T work like that when you're calling a function. Even if execution will never reach a function call, the interpreter will check that call in advance to make sure its parameters are correct. So while execution never reaches that line, it will still cause a crash because it's being checked for correctness before execution even begins.