Favorite Mod Manager

eCustic

So, I've recently come back to Skyrim modding and I was wondering which mod managers people were using these days. Before Skyrim came out I was a very big fan of Wrye Bash and considered it the ultimate tool for avoiding conflicts and keeping my load order tidy. It is still my mod manager of choice for when I'm playing Oblivion and I only occasionally use OBMM.

I've reinstalled Skyrim twice during the past week and I've tried two different mod managers: Nexus Mod Manager, and Mod Organizer, and I've found both inadequate. The Nexus Mod Manager is basically a very limited version of OBMM which I've always found resulted in my data folder looking like a mess when I was done installing my mods. The concept of the Mod Organizer is quite nice as it keeps your data folder completely clean and allows you to revert anything you've done. However, due to the structure of some mods like CBBE BodySlide and FNIS you're forced to copy stuff manually into your data folder anyway, otherwise the executables included in the mods do not work.

Optimally I'd use the Skyrim version of Wrye Bash but the Nexus page says that the developers have been MIA for the last few months and it's not actually being developed except for some minor bugfixes. Also there doesn't seem to be anyone making BAIN packages for their mods anymore so that means that every mod must be installed manually if you're using Wrye Bash.

So does anyone know if Wrye Bash is still a good solution or if there are any other mod managers which are good? Or is everyone just using NMM? :P

WB is still useful. I don't use it to install as I've never understood the BAIN thing. NMM works fine for installing mods, tho I do tend to manually extract some questionable mods just to make sure that they don't need to be repacked. Especially true of those mods where the author puts 10 ESP files in and then tells you to pick only one.

I use WB to let me know what mods are tied to what saves since I have a tendency to uninstall/deactivate mods when I am developing and testing my own mods out. The ability to automatically switch list of mods in that way is pretty powerful in my opinion. I also use it to make temporary masters when working on certain mods.

I use Wrye Bash to adjust my load order, but do not use a bashed patch. Wrye Bash is great for esmification and espification while doing mod building. In my eyes, that is Wrye Bash's very best feature.

So Wrye Bash still seems to be the best as far as I can tell. I suppose I could just extract the NMM installers and then create my own BAIN installers from the files. Also @Brasher, I agree with you about the esmification/espification feature of Wrye Bash. A must-have for anyone creating mods which derive from other mods.