[Req]Far slower pacing mod

Roflcore

Hello everyone

This is a thread about a new mod I like to make, or even better to find somebody who can make it happen. I think one big issue is the pacing of the game. At the old fallout titles you came out of the vault totaly naked, with only your gun and some little ammo. While theorically it is the same in fallout 3, it practically sure doesn't feel that way. when you are getting out of the vault you are already a hell of a fighter and that sucks. big time. I know there is already a mod "slowerpacingmod" and I'm already using and enjoying it, however its not enough!

remember fallout 1/2, were you are slowly leveling up (except for those idiots who shortcutted/cheated their way to navarro)? getting your first armor, then maybe a smg or even a shotgun? and so on? carefully attacking only enemys were you had a chance? getting more and more money and information about the world?

yes, those were the days they say, but..

fallout 3 should feel the same. but it doesn't.

I have installed every mod of this thread and yes, the difficulty is definitly increased. I like it very much, but even with those drastic changes and even with harder combat I stilled managed to beat the 6 raiders at the school nearby. It was a though fight, far thougher then vanilla fallout 3 ever can be, but I made it. and afterwards I had 3 hunting rifles, some grenades, 3 pistoles, 6 armors and about 100 caps. a little while later (20 minutes) I ran into 5 more raiders and I managed to get a flamer. remember when you get a flamer at fallout1/2? Of course the flamer maybe lucky, honestly I don't know, but the other guns and ammo and caps are normal. And I hate it.

So, lets make the start more like fallout I say. How do we do that?

Since it will be really hard to improve the enemy AI (did they managed to do this in Oblivion anyways, or are we stuck with this forever?), we have to circumvent this. Here is my suggestions on how to do this:

First of all: change the vault. If possible, no riotcops, but if thats not possible give all of them except maybe the last only melee weapons. the last one should have maybe 5-15 rounds of 10mm ammo and maybe additional 5 rounds should be somewhere in the vault. but thats about it. maybe even less.

Now: gundamage should be increased even further. sager mod does a good start by 25% more, but I'd say pull it up even more. you should die when you are hit more then 4 times.

So, this way, you are coming out of the vault and you can not really start a battle with raiders, because you lack the ammo and the armor to do so. oh yes armor: the entire vault should have none at all. it has huge blastdoors, why would they care about armor? its just silly.

but this is just a temporary solution, changing the vault is the first step in the right direction, but we have to go even further.

I'd suggest, if that is even possible (somebody know?) to remove the ability to loot armor from raiders and other enemys. If possible not total, but make the odds that you can obtain one this way extremly low.

oh and please, don't say this is unrealistic. it isn't. just because the dudes at bethesda are so dumb to make every character in the entire world exactly the same doesn't mean we have to stick with it. in real life I am a little bit bigger then 2 meters. At times it is very hard for me to buy cloth that fits. Imagine me in a postapocalyptic world. I would have to shoot about 100 raiders until if found one with my size. In addition: if you shoot someone there is most like not much of an armor left. specially if you shoot of his arms/legs.

If possible, but I think this will be very hard, you should be able to loot "material" from those armors if you have the tools (a big knife) and experience (repairpoints) - this way you can fix you armor with parts you cut out from raiders armor. of course it should not be possible to patch a power armor with whats left of a raider. the "material" should be heavy and not worth much, so that it is not really worth the trouble to go and sell it.

guns you obtain from raiders should be damaged even further, or maybe there should be again a "check" if you can loot it. It is harder to explain why, but balancewise I think it would be better, since you wouldn't aquiere so much money so fast. It would also dump down the grind, because grinding the wastelands would not be as profitable as doing quests n stuff.

If we are able to patch up the enemy AI, we should make the following changes:

- Enemys with good ranged weapons should never charge. they do now as soon as you take cover. if you have a pistole and they have a hunting rifle you gain the advantage. this shouldn't and wouldn't happen at all.

- raiders should stick together. no picking em of one after one with vets superiority (at least not until we are able to fix vets)

if we are unable to edit the AI behaviour we should at least remove any sort of raiders out of buildings, since they are too stupid for it. if you have no cover and only a pistole and only a weak armor, 5 raiders can kill you real good. thats the way it should be. in buildings we still could plays raiders, but only raiders which can defend themself and are stronger then you. meaning a good armor and an assault rifle or a combatshotgun. lootingchances on this items should be extremly low, looting from such places should be increased though.

all in all this should lead to the following: you leave the vault weak and pathetic, constantly scared and running (did I mention radiationlevels have to be way higher and water should not heal but remove fatigue?). if you see raiders you run like hell! you make your first money by doing smaller quests (we do need more of them since the orginal game lacks quests) and hunting animals and stuff (foodprices should be slightly higher, if the quality fits. some animals should have a chance of getting something "special", for e.g. a radscorpion tail which brings you good money because of its medical usage). this way you can slowly level up till you are able to pick off first raiders. after raiders you can take down more and more..

I know I have talk much about raiders and not much about the rest of the enemies. I think the biggest issue is at the game start. If you slowly getting better equiqment it will be much more interesting. later enemys should have even better weapons. supermutants for instance not simple hunting rifles but far better weapons. I lack the experience with the later game to make any precise adwise, but we should get this startet at least. balancing this out might be hell, I know, but I think its really worth it.

Comments? Who do we have to abduct to get this done? What should we change? Not too much "dreaming" please, try to see my point and lets focus on getting this as good and fast as possible, instead of dreaming about more and more content/motor bikes/"and this and that would be cool". it needs to be do able. I know I did fit in those descriptions, but I think this issue is really important.

Archived