[LE] Nifskope Help

Greenston

Hmm, to me that still sounds like the barrel is either skinned to a wrong bone or not skinned correctly (so it just follows the character root).

To share the NIF you need to upload it at a external file sharing service and post the download link it gives you here.

E.g. I always use this one for quick exchanges here on the forum. Simple and free.

Edited by Pineappletree

Well, looks like your barrel is missing all kinds of important data, not just weighting information.

An armor NiTriShape needs at least three sets of data to function correctly:

NiTriShapeData which contains information about the actual mesh needed by the engine. Even static objects need to have this.

NiSkinInstance or NiDismemberSkinInstance which contain the weight data binding the mesh to the character's bones.

BSLightingShaderProperty which contains material properties and shader information for the engine.

Example

armornitrishapedata3yjpt.jpg

You barrel is missing the first two of these data sets which TBH makes it surprising you got the barrel to show up in the game at all.

So what you need to do now is to retrace your steps to find out where you lost the NiTriShapeData of the barrel. Here's a comparison of your barrel's NiTriShape (left) and that of the original barrel from Skyrim:

barrelnitrimodandorgmik2w.jpg

As you can see the two are quite different which makes me suspect you exported the barrel into a non-Skyrim NIF format at some point (there are lots of different ways to organize a NIF internally, depending on the 3d engine the NIF is supposed to be used by). You've got to correct that.

Once the NiTriiShapeData is restored you then need to find a way to generate correct skin (weight) data (as Hanaisse said earlier by using either the Caliente Body Slide Outfit Studio or a "proper" 3d package like Blender or 3dsMax).

Just copying the Spine2 node / bone to the NIF is not enough for this. It just tells the game engine there's a bone you want to work with but not what you actually want to do with it. Which would be why your barrel is just following your character's root but not the actual spine bone at the moment.

Edited by Pineappletree

Thank you for checking my nif file.

Ok so, I'll explain in steps what I did, because I already went over the weight painting and such.

And I know there is some data missing. but the question really is: how do I get it in there?

This is what I did:

1) I copied the meshes from a backpack mod and the barrel and placed them in a folder

2) I opened the backpack mesh in Outfit Studio, and I dragged the barrel mesh in there too and positioned it accordingly

3) I deleted the backpack mod mesh in Outfit Studio, leaving only the barrel mesh

4) I selected "NPC Spine2" from the bones and painted the barrel in a deep red to indicate heavy weight

5) I saved that as a nif

But somehow there is skin data missing when I export it from outfit studio.

Should I adapt a setting when I export?

You mentioned I exported in a "non-Skyrim" format, how do I export in a Skyrim format?

(Thanks a bunch for guiding me trough this and searching for a solution, because I know it can be hard to explain stuff to noob-level beginners, so thank you. :smile: )

EDIT:

Ok, so I redid everything again like I described it in the steps. I also added "NPC Spine1" in addition to "NPC Spine2", both with weight paints.

I admit I've been messing around with this for a while and the previous file may have been a failed test file.

But here's a fresh one I just made: https://ufile.io/8cwamot1

Notice I just exported it as a .nif from Outfit Studio, and the "NiSkinData" is missing, so perhaps I'm exporting it wrongly?

Edited by Greenston

Ooooooh...

Well...

I feared you might say that.

Because there are differences between the Skyrim LE and SE file formats and, frankly, I have little idea about the SE side of things.

From what I do understand (after taking a quick look at some SE armor meshes) you're fine with not having seperate NiTriShapeData in your BiTriShapes in this case.

But you still need a NiSkinInstance or BSDismemberSkinInstance to bind your mesh to the correct bones (there's also a "Skinned" flag missing from the NiTriShape / VertexDesc node of the barrel you posted).

Which still means there's a problem with your exports from Outfit Studio.

Which in turn means I'm once more unsure how to help you as I do all my skinning in 3dsMax and have no expirience with this part of Outfit Studio.

Maybe the Outfit Studio documentation can help you find the issue?

Maybe Outfit Studio simply has problems with converting static meshes?

Maybe someone else here has an idea?

€dit

And taking another quick look at Outfit Studio, there's a "Skinned" flag in the Geometry tab of the Shape Properties of any mesh. Did you set that?

One has to assume weight data won't be exported if this is not checked.

Edited by Pineappletree

Hmm, I thought that might make a difference.

The "Skinned" flag in the geometry tab is something was still unchecked, and after I checked it the "NiSkinInstance" showed up in the .nif file!

Thanks for that!

I am, however, getting a CTD when i load it in game now... :D

So I guess there are some other things seriously wrong.

I'll have a look at that documentation you suggested at a later date.

Maybe I can find something in there.

Thanks for helping!