Mod Distribution/Automation Program

Daemonjax

I'm busy finalizing my new mod version. I'm just using XSHAPE + Modpatcher for now. But I'm planning to use this for my next version.

I quickly looked over the files but I couldn't find a step by step tutorial on how to create (not including the HEX editing, other topics can cover that) and install "your first mod", so to speak. I think adding that would make it easier for many people to figure out how to use this new mod manager.

Ok, fair enough.

Step by step tutorial is incoming shortly.

Trying to use it now. I've been working on exe tweaks only until now, so a complete rookie at upk edits (for XCOM at least).

Maybe my steps can help idiot-proof this:

4) Download and extract XSHAPE v0.14+ into your xcom folder.

Extracted, ran, error 5. Figured it out.

How about adding uncompressedsize file removal straight into the .bat file?

Also, do users need to decompress the upk files themselves first?

The uncompressed_size files are automatically taken care of when you use the modinstaller.bat file. ;)

Maybe have a sanity check for attempting to create an unmodified mod... if that even makes sense! ;) i.e. When the function file is mistakenly the same as the original and so the comparison fails to find any differences:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

(I think that's what the problem was, haha).

Good idea, will do.

Also, might be a bit more user friendly if the config file had a .txt extension to make it easier to edit. Perhaps also put an underscore in the filename too, just to make it a bit clearer: MYMOD_Config.txt.

You're right. The mod config file should have an extension. I personally like .xcom_mod_config.

EDIT: Just saw you mention in another thread that the GUI doesn't work for you. I tried it the other day and got an error when trying to create a mod, but I thought that was just because it wasn't finished yet :)

For me, the gui does the same thing (returns error code 1) even if I delete ModMaker.jar and ModInstaller.jar.

But, dose has a new version for me to test... we'll see how it goes. It's in C#. I'm hopeful.

If it doesn't work then we'll just switch to java and get the gui done this weekend. Java Swing is pretty decent nowadays, and their Nimbus look and feel looks and feels not at all like crap.

UPDATE: OK, the GUI is available for download at the same link as on the first page. I can't get it to work correctly, but it works for him, so we need others to test it regardless. Keep in mind that the batch files have more features than the GUI at this point, but (in theory) you can more easily create and install mods using the GUI.

I'm also working on another GUI in Java. I expect to have something good enough to share tomorrow.

If you need help, I'm usually in IRC.

Edited by Daemonjax

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm busy finalizing my new mod version. I'm just using XSHAPE + Modpatcher for now. But I'm planning to use this for my next version.

I quickly looked over the files but I couldn't find a step by step tutorial on how to create (not including the HEX editing, other topics can cover that) and install "your first mod", so to speak. I think adding that would make it easier for many people to figure out how to use this new mod manager.

Ok, fair enough.

Step by step tutorial is incoming shortly.

Trying to use it now. I've been working on exe tweaks only until now, so a complete rookie at upk edits (for XCOM at least).

Maybe my steps can help idiot-proof this:

Extracted, ran, error 5. Figured it out.

How about adding uncompressedsize file removal straight into the .bat file?

Also, do users need to decompress the upk files themselves first?

The uncompressed_size files are automatically taken care of when you use the modinstaller.bat file. ;)

Maybe have a sanity check for attempting to create an unmodified mod... if that even makes sense! ;) i.e. When the function file is mistakenly the same as the original and so the comparison fails to find any differences:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

(I think that's what the problem was, haha).

Good idea, will do.

Also, might be a bit more user friendly if the config file had a .txt extension to make it easier to edit. Perhaps also put an underscore in the filename too, just to make it a bit clearer: MYMOD_Config.txt.

You're right. The mod config file should have an extension. I personally like .xcom_mod_config.

EDIT: Just saw you mention in another thread that the GUI doesn't work for you. I tried it the other day and got an error when trying to create a mod, but I thought that was just because it wasn't finished yet :)

For me, the gui does the same thing (returns error code 1) even if I delete ModMaker.jar and ModInstaller.jar.

But, dose has a new version for me to test... we'll see how it goes. It's in C#. I'm hopeful.

If it doesn't work then we'll just switch to java and get the gui done this weekend. Java Swing is pretty decent nowadays, and their Nimbus look and feel looks and feels not at all like crap.

UPDATE: OK, the GUI is available for download at the same link as on the first page. I can't get it to work correctly, but it works for him, so we need others to test it regardless. Keep in mind that the batch files have more features than the GUI at this point, but (in theory) you can more easily create and install mods using the GUI.

I'm also working on another GUI in Java. I expect to have something good enough to share tomorrow.

If you need help, I'm usually in IRC.

I just finished a big standing order for my work. I'll check out the code today and test that GUI. Personally, I think a C# GUI would be better, and we can easily plugin any java we need, but if the GUI doesn't work, then we'll make do.

I'll comment on it later today (leaving work in 5 hours)

Right, tested it, I'm getting the same errors with the GUI. I'm sure it's salvageable, though. I haven't had much time to look at the code, but I'll spend my lunchtime tomorrow going through it, and hopefully I'll find what's wrong with it. I really hope we can salvage it, 'cause C# is a damn sight easier to code, and more powerful than Java, and I have a lot more experience in it, so it's better for me also ; P

Daemon, what's your timezone? I have a couple of questions already, and I'll undoubtedly have more tomorrow, but I have no idea when you're about xD

Catch you soon ; )

John

Okay, I was actually able to "make" my own version of the Equal Gender Ratio Mod by using the GUI in Debug mode. It's a bit clunky, but it's definitely working. I still think WPF would've been easier and more aesthetically pleasing, but the GUI is definitely in working order. I can't test opening files at work, this PC is nowhere near powerful enough for XCOM, but I'll test it again tonight on the debug version, and if that works, I'll try it again on the release.

Daemon, make sure the settings on your GUI are set up correctly, that could be affecting the GUI's performance on installing mods. You should still be able to create a new mod, name it, and add the equal gender ratio file to it and make the .mod

Give it a try, let me know how that went xD

And when you can, give me a few minutes of your time.

Happy modding : )

~John

Question: In the below step... what is the "xcom" folder?

Do you mean ... \Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown

or

the "this" folder (where you download everything else)

or

Some other location

Sorry for the NOOB question, just seeing if I can get this to work. Thanks for the great tool!!!!

I know this may annoy some but I have been working on a Java GUI for this. The C# version was not working for me; I'm too new to C# to really be of any help there. Thanks to C# devs though as time is not wasted as the C# base was still important in helping me design this version.

Anyhow, so far I have it creating mods from files that I drag and drop into the program and settings some user fields. Some other features.

• Made use of JaxB xml libray which allows for simple java object to xml mapping, marshalling and unmarshalling.
  • Added support for file drag and drop - still somewhat limited in 'file control' e.g. add, remove, delete
  • In progress: adding support for a portable database, using HSQL and Hibernate, to save the xml java objects as datatbase tables or entites so as to track mod creations, versions and installation of mods
  • java code runs mostly from original
  • streamed console output to the gui when it is run
  • combined modmaker and mod installer command line versions
  • added gui to combined version command line
  • switches: XModMan -i GenderRatioMod, XModMan -m GenderRatioMod, XModMan -g
  • commandline version still works; however have not tested again for a day
  • Currently only the make button works; I wish to release it only once all the simple GUI features are working

Refinements obviously needed.

• Need to redo error control so it works for both GUI and command line versions
  • Need to integrate XShape
  • Need to integrate Modpathcer
  • Need to review some of the xml settings
  • Need to review how file paths are sorted and found
  • Need to handle exceptions
  • Need to simplify the code
  • Need to document code
  • Need to add ini editor - thinking of converting to xml so as to use simple java objects for editing
  • Need to swicth console streams between install , maker, editor
  • NEED to write tests for the code to ensure agility when there are several code writers.

Looks great :thumbsup: release it soon! :) Can't wait for multi file support.

Are spaces allowed in mod name?

Can mods be created using the tool and comparison between edited UPK and decompressed untouched UPK?

Looks great :thumbsup: release it soon! :) Can't wait for multi file support.

Are spaces allowed in mod name?

Can mods be created using the tool and comparison between edited UPK and decompressed untouched UPK?

Mods should be able to have spaces in name unless the gods want to restrict this?

Multi file support shouldn't be far away. DemonJax had this mostly coded. It's just my edits to allow for database support and better xml support may have broken some of this. This is why JUnit tests are needed.

Currently the GUI does not compress, uncompress, unpack XCom files. There are licence issues with this so I may create a prompt to download all the needed third parties. Again the mod creators need to specify.

I have moved from the written consensus of how some xml's should look just so I can understand the code more easily to begin with. I can change it back any time.