How moddable is the camera

willssi

My question is simple: are there command line (ini?) tweaks that can be made such that the automatic camera movements are disabled. I don't mean action cam, and 3rd person camera (which you can disable in game), but the annoying game behavior where the camera will automatically zoom in when a new unit is selected or certain actions are selected. I find it incredibly annoying that despite having the camera at an ideal elevation, the game decides that it needs to zoom in whenever I select a different unit or a unit's action.

Anyone know how to disable this?

totally agree. especially inside an alien ship, every time you switch characters all you can see is the top of the damn roof.

you have to constantly relevel the view to whatever character you just switched to.

it's even WORSE when you switch to targeting, as you still get "roof view", but now there is no way to change the view downward.

seriously annoying.

bumpitty!

What I'd really like is....

since we can modify the button scheme for the controller seemingly pretty easily I'd like to be able to disable to auto zoom-back-in when you zoom out with the left trigger.

Have left trigger zoom out only, and have something like left trigger + left thumb click zoom back in.

I'll mess around with it later. I saw the file where the buttons were defined and read through it but I don't remember them having a definition for the thumb click L3 R3.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH and maybe I'll make R3 quick save....................

it really is a huge pain in the ass, you were right on with the alien ship levels. I'm amazed the developers never ran into this problem themselves, or not one on the QA team reported it. The camera 'snap' resets whatever your elevation height is set at!

I swapped the mouse wheel / T & G keys, and it makes the zoom scheme a little better.

it really is a huge pain in the ass, you were right on with the alien ship levels. I'm amazed the developers never ran into this problem themselves, or not one on the QA team reported it. The camera 'snap' resets whatever your elevation height is set at!

I swapped the mouse wheel / T & G keys, and it makes the zoom scheme a little better.

hmm, yeah, that might make it a tad less annoying, as it is a smooth function instead of a snap-jump like the mousewheel level-scroll function.

as to the devs... I think they got a build that had relatively few bugs in it and were told to just ship it as is.

it does actually have relatively few game-killing bugs compared to a great many games I've played on release over the last 20 years.

my point being, is that this issue was likely reported as "cosmetic" bug instead of "gamekilling" so they just let it go for expediency.

anywho, can you do that through the standard in game options, or did you have to mod an ini file? (edit: nvmd, i see you can do it through the standard options. yes, I like that config better, but it doesn't remove the "jump past roof when switch units" issue, though it does make it easier to refocus).

Edited by Sir_Toejam