VATS body part selection for Melee and Unarmed

joeiudi

I don't have anything substantive to add, but... Yes. Just... Yes. YES!

You give me a sword, I want to be able to slice somebody's head off with it. I mean, come on! As it is, there's no point in using VATS if you've got a melee or unarmed character. That's just as shame, as VATS is absolutely the best thing about the game.

I have no idea how to mod this game but seeing how VATS exists in game, and melee and unarmed exist in game....how hard is it to make it so you can target all the same parts you can target with a gun?

Anyone know how to make this happen?

Maybe for a gun, the bullet is the sole object flying at the parts.

While for Melee/Unarmed, you've got the character's ragdoll that needs to animate fully to hit a part.

Lets see:

L/R Arms

L/R Legs

Torso

Head

and Weapon

Thats 7 animation a melee weapon or unarmed attack would need to do.

Maybe for attack legs, your character uses a downswing, while L/R Arms and Torso requires Sideswing or thrust attacks. The head can have either.

Weapons on their hands can be either but better for side attacks.

EDIT: Oh and consider other player's mod for groin hits, etc.

• 1 year later...

Oh God yes!

Fellas im with ya

I see no reason why melee was excluded from the VAts and it kinda ruins the post apocalyptic feel when its too hard to beat someone to death with a tire iron.

In terms of the ragdoll i dont think somewhat innacurate ragdolling would matter in a mod, i just want the ability to break legs and skulls by choice.

The only critcism ive read about FO3 is that the combat can be a bit clumsy, i think this and a few certain changes would remedy that

Ive tried to mod this but i cant mod the wings off a fly so if anyone needs a project and wants my love and acclaim then have a crack at this i reckon

Absolutely yes. I thought it was a major let down when i first played a melee character and found i couldn't swing a sledge hammer AT my target's head. I think they really missed the mark with this area of the game. It should've been this way from the start....you can target any body part just as you would with a gun, and there is an animation to go along with each attack. I can just see some slow motion VATS action with a super sledge to the face :yes: