Adjusting (Lower) Max Level Cap with Add-Ons?

hruza

I want to limit max player level cap LOWER than what is allowed after all Add-ons are installed (lv.50). Say I want to limit it at 35.

When looking at the GECK with all Add-ons loaded I see iMaxCharacterLevel is still 30. So Add-ons do not rise level cap by adjusting this setting. So how Add-ons do it then? Anybody have idea what to edit?

When looking at Logan's Loophole it simply prevents experience after level 30 so this is not probably way to go.

I want to limit max player level cap LOWER than what is allowed after all Add-ons are installed (lv.50). Say I want to limit it at 35.

When looking at the GECK with all Add-ons loaded I see iMaxCharacterLevel is still 30. So Add-ons do not rise level cap by adjusting this setting. So how Add-ons do it then? Anybody have idea what to edit?

I bet they use the SetGameSetting function in a script taht fires off early along with adding new weapons to formlists and all the prep work for the dlc. I already looked in the NVDLC03MQ01SCRIPT to NVDLC03MQ05SCRIPT for OWB scripts and didn't see it though. It could even be in a result script of one of the quests.

EDIT: If your able to track it down let everyone know, I'm curious myself.

Edited by devinpatterson

No it is not in starting scripts like NVDLC01MQ00SCRIPT. It seems it is hard coded in the DLC itself. Sawyer reportedly lowered max level in his mod by lowering base max level setting (iMaxCharacterLevel) to 15 (so with 4 DLCs his mod is using, you end up at 35). I was not checking his mod but if he does it this way than there is probably no setting/script in DLCs you can edit.

As far as I am concerned, lowering base is OK for me so I will go with it as well. It just did not came to my mind earlier. Sometimes best solution is the simplest one.

No it is not in starting scripts like NVDLC01MQ00SCRIPT. It seems it is hard coded in the DLC itself.

No. A DLC is not a program, source code or a executable object.....hard coded makes no sense in that context.

As far as I am concerned, lowering base is OK for me so I will go with it as well. It just did not came to my mind earlier. Sometimes best solution is the simplest one.

Perhaps because you asked re: lowering the max level cap;

I want to limit max player level cap LOWER

But hey if it works for you, knock yourself out.....

No it is not in starting scripts like NVDLC01MQ00SCRIPT. It seems it is hard coded in the DLC itself.

No. A DLC is not a program, source code or a executable object.....hard coded makes no sense in that context.

It appears to be hardcoded into FalloutNV.exe to check for the presence of the official DLC .esm files, and bump the iMaxCharacterLevel by 5 for each one it finds.

Well may be not in "DLC itself" as I claimed but it might be hard coded in NV executable. DLCs were supported only after certain patch. Which might be point when 5 levels were hard coded.

So far I did not find anything inside DLCs which sets new limit on player level.

It appears to be hardcoded into FalloutNV.exe to check for the presence of the official DLC .esm files, and bump the iMaxCharacterLevel by 5 for each one it finds.

Shame if that's the case. Are you assuming this by a process of elimination (ie haven't located any other setting in the DLC) or have actual information that it is the case?

Shame if that's the case. Are you assuming this by a process of elimination (ie haven't located any other setting in the DLC) or have actual information that it is the case?

Empirical data, although the premise was formed since I previously could not find any changes in the DLCs.

1. Using a hex editor I saw that the DLC filenames are in FalloutNV.exe.

2. I took a random mod, esm-ified it and renamed it to one of the official DLCs. I started New Vegas with the renamed mod and nothing else (even moved all other mods and official DLC out of the Data folder). In game I opened the console and observed that the max level had increased by 5 to 35.

Edited by viennacalling