So I need some help...

slainia

Here's the deal. I want my skyrim to be colorful, so I'm using FXAA. Everythings working great etc, no problems. I have realistic lighting installed (as far as i can tell it's working well too.) and outdoors look awesome, dungeons not too bad. Until I cast candlelight, which I cannot do without.

The instant I do that, everything goes shiney and my eyes explode in my head. It's always been like this, with or without either of the above mods.

Been experimenting with fxaa, my ati settings, skyrims ingame settings etc, and i can make things darker, but not duller, and that only makes me want to use candlelight more often and increasing the problem.

Am I missing something obvious I can adjust? i've also messed with my monitor, but nothing seems to change it.

What I would really prefer is torch light instead of the glare of the candle spell, but their radius is too small and I want that hand free.

Help? :( getting very annoyed with this, although it's happening for the last year. lol...

I love the way the game looks, but I hate the candlelight spell...

Wearable lanterns might be a good mod for you?

Ps. Are you running ENB? That can really mess with the lights.

no l don't think l am. Only installed these two lighting etc mods cus i try not to fiddle with this stuff much. I hadn't thought of the lanterns thing, will check that out. I really want a softer light, but that's not so easy. Thanks for the suggestion :P

omg I love the lanterns..thank you. I don't know why I didn't check the mod out before, I've seen it on the nexus... Thank you again. :)

Edited by slainia

I found something in the realistic lighting mod that seems to help.

With the vision settings (brighter interiors & dungeons) + the patcher (assuming l've done it properly) I found the game slightly too dark, but at least not as glaring. I opened the realistic lighting ini file, and was reading some of the comments.

This in particular caught my eye.

;Target Lum's can have a dramatic effect on brightness. In RL, they are usually 5 / .5. In vanilla, they are usually 1 / 1 or something close.

;I'm not sure of the exact definition of these variables, so experiment with them as you will.

;With respect to RL values, lowering target lum 2 will increase the brightness, while increasing it will lower the brightness.

;The effect of target lum 1 is usually affected by the value of lum 2.

targetLum1MultiplierGlobal=1

targetLum2MultiplierGlobal=1

I changed both variables to 2, and although I need to adjust the brightness of the game itself a little, the glare is almost *completely* gone, even with candlelight + a lantern. Much better, and more atmospheric. Thanks for your help, Acid. :)