Need help with leveled list for guards armor

taro8

Im currently trying to add variants of guards armor to the guards. However I run into a problem: for some reason guards do not use new armor variants. Here's what I did:

1. I created new armor entries for 2 new variants and changed the models

2. I edited whiterun guard leveled list in order to remove the base armor

4. I replaced boots with leather ones (it works) and added gloves (also works)

3. In place of that removed armor I added a new leveled list containing all 3 variants of whiterun guard armor

Now I started new game multiple times, but guards kept using only the base armor and no variants appeared. I have little experience with CK so I have absolutely no idea what ma I doing wrong. Please help.

I am not entirely sure if this is the solution but have you made new outfit entries for your new guard armor items?

If I understand the system correctly the items worn by NPCs are controlled not only by the Leveled Lists but also by being linked to specific outfits.

As far as I know the structure looks like this right now

Whiterun guards (NPCs) < whiterun guard outfit (set in inventory) < whiterun guard leveled list (the only thing in said outfit) < whiterun guard armor LL (new one created by me) < whiterun guard armors

My armor LL does seem to work somewhat as if I remove it, then guards dont have any armor ingame. When I add it then ydo wear armor, but only vanilla variant.

Edited by taro8

That's not it. You see, I did not create a new outfit. The whiterun guard outfit only consist of leveled list. I edited said LL and the changes did take an effect, so Im editing the correct thing. The problem is that I want armor to randomly assigned for each guard, but they keep wearing same vanilla one, so the problem lies in the new leveled list I created for armors. Edited by taro8

The whole system is cursed and logic does not seem to apply to it. I have had the same type of problems that you mention and have not found a surefire solution.

Randomized leveled lists do not work for me in this context. It works if I edit an existing list and put different items into it, but it does not work if I add new leveled lists to places that had items rather than lists before.

Savegame memory is a very serious problem when trying to play-test a mod like this. It can be very hard to know if your mod does not work, or if your savegame is just remembering how things used to be before you installed the mod. In order to accurately test what Whiterun guards wear, you may have to go to extremes such as as starting a new character, testing with a character who has never been to Whiterun, staying away from Whiterun so long that it respawns, or building a test cell that contains Whiterun guards since your character never could have been there before since you just barely built it.

I start new character after EVERY change. I have alternative start mod, so I can start in whiterun right away. This solution eliminates any factors with savegame and game remembering how it was before.

BTW: Adding items to leveled list (like Im doing to guards) only takes effect when starting new game.

Edited by taro8

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I'm delving into Leveled Lists and have been trying to figure out out Outfits play into all of this. I've been experimenting with Bandit leveled lists, and have been able to make new armors appear on them when I spawn them randomly, even with my existing save. I haven't tried it with guards yet, though.