Req: tougher Overseer/guards

wxman

Okay... the Overseer is supposed to be the lord and master of the vault with access to all its technology, training etc. yet he and all his guards go down like bitches vs. a lvl one PC? This guy should be like the equivalent of like a lvl 10 PC... and if you attack him he should whip out a plasma pistol and turn you to ash. Remember how in the older games the overseer had a chair with mini guns mounted on it? Maybe the the Overseer in Fallout 3 needs robot with a mini gun?

Well, he's a tutorial enemy. Besides that, he's an weak old man, what else do you want? Besides, I think the point was to make him seem pathetic anyway, and making him an easy kill is an important choice, not a big crazy boss fight.

Besides, if Oblivion started out with you fighting trolls and minotaurs in the tutorial, instead of rats and weak goblins, people would turn it off in the first 30 minutes.

Welcome to Fallout. Where a Rad Scorpion will ass rape you the second you leave your precious Vault.

The whole point of Fallout was not to hold your hand, it was about letting the player do what ever they thought was necessary to survive. So you should be able to go up against the uber level 10 overseer..

Plus you do see him again and he's just as weak the second time.

I'm for this.. Screw Oblivion.

This game isn't Oblivion.. It just has the unfortunate fate of being developed by the same developers. Fans should be wanting Fallout 3 to resemble the first two more than Oblivion.

Ahem...

"Where a Rad Scorpion will ass rape you the second you leave your precious Vault."

Where, exactly, are these guards and overseer living? Oh, wait... it's the vault! The most these guards have to deal with is a rowdy kid every now and then. What the heck makes you think they'll be tough?

As for the overseer... this is not some tribal society with a warrior chief, the Overseer inherited his position from his father and has lived a life of relative luxury, likely being waited on hand and foot. Not exactly the makings of any 'uber boss material' eh?

What the heck makes you think they'll be tough?

They did scouting missions for the Overseer did they not (it states so in the overseers computer) and later on it establishes that they did come into contact with the enclave. If they can survive all that then they have balls IMO.

The overseer even acknowledges that people have come and gone from the vault from time to time.. but establishes his conservative views later on. Eventually you do see that the Overseer has some balls.. but by then you're already a battle harden wasteland warrior so say if the Overseer were level 10, you'd be much higher than him at this point of the game due to your combat exposure. Only problem I see is with Amata becoming the new Overseer since she's weak and only killed 1 guy in her whole life.. assuming you gave her the gun and she used it.

Also be aware that your characters combat experience consists of 1. Beating up Butch and 2. killing a rad roach with a BB gun.. No way in hell are you going to be able to beat security guards.

It should be a real struggle for you to survive in the wasteland and as the game plays out its either Wasteland or Death.. its not going to end pretty IMO. I want to feel my heart going 100mph trying to run away from the Overseer's security guards going "OH poo THEY'RE COMING TO KILL ME!" Observe how easy it was for them to kill the other kids in the vault too. I mean that one guy goes down instantly.. 1 shot.

The main problem is though that the Level scaling doesn't catch up

when you eventually return to 101

. So when you do return its basically 1 shot kills to everyone.

Thanks mr_cyberpunk, I'm glad someone agrees with me. In the original Fallout's when you come out of the vault at lvl one you were likely to seriously get a beet down if ran into a raider... the security guards should be too much for any character that didn't focus their skills/attributes on combat (and a challenge still for those that did). And given how quickly the Overseer goes down he probably has 1/4 the characters HP (if that).

I also did some more research, the Logs in the overseers computer state that the guards did in fact make it to Megaton, it also states that they killed several Warrior fire ants. If that is true then WTF? I mean I'm a level 1 with a bbgun. yet I can still kill them in 4 hits, yet it takes them 20 for me..?!

I call that inconsistent, if anything a mod should make it possible to either talk your way out of a confrontation (such as "TAKE ME TO THE OVERSEER!- give Amata the gun and she'll kill the guard in the room leaving you to escape- which should involve some kind of chase.)

I'd also like to see the guards leave the vault instead of freaking out every time they leave the door. Like they have left the vault before! They did kill some Fire Ants.. its not a big deal.

You should also be able to reopen the door using AMATA as the password since it makes no sense for the door just to lock behind you despite the fact you already know the password (else you couldn't have escaped).

The vault seriously has a lot of inconsistencies with the plot.. and on the second mission for vault 101 it gets worse.

because the enclave are acknowledged for coming in contact with Vault 101.. which given what happened to your dad seems to be a shoot first ask questions later bunch of people. So how the hell did they survive?!

Also the Vault guards should have SMGs and Pistols because again they did leave the vault.. The game constantly acknowledges this.. stating that your dad lied to you and that the overseer is just covering up that fact for his conservative views on the wasteland. You discover this right away when you reach Megaton as even the sheriff states "Man I haven't seen one of those uniforms in a while.. you must be from the vault" that suggests that indeed your farther lied.

Archived