Creating your own mods

euphoriaalpha

Kind of discouraged with my mod atm - getting reports that the mesh/texture files are missing when people download it, but l don't know how to fix that. /:

If you've created or are using unique textures or meshes they are living in \data\textures and \data\meshes (or subfolders of that) of your skyrim installation. You need to package them in your archive.

Would that contradict this, though?

"You may use this as you wish as long as you don't charge money for it and you credit me for any work used.

Please do not re-host this file without my explicit permission. " - specifically this section.

Also, the weird thing is some people say the items show up in game - others say they don't. /:

Edit - l'm not actually sure how to go about doing it, aside from using steams method. Not posting this on steam because of the 100 mb size limit tho. :>

Edited by slainia

If it's a modders resource, it's pretty much a given that you're going to use meshes from it. The prohibition is talking about rehosting the entire file somewhere else.

If some other people see the meshes and/or textures, it means they already have that resource or another one which uses the same meshes/textures.

Unless you screwed up something else, but let's assume not and given that you haven't actually packed the meshes and textures with the archive, it's a safe bet.

I'm sorry to be so stupid with this. (First, I just don't want to go against the original authors wishes. Kind of leery about that.) Anyway - goign with what you've said, by packing you mean the zip/winrar achrive idea.

What woudl be the simplest way of doing this?

Ie

When I'm setting up the archive, manually go into my meshes/textures folder? :> As you can see i'm....a bit um. unskilled when it comes to this. IS there a guide on how to do this actually? i've looked before i think, but don't think l found naything. probably wasn't using the right search terms.

If you're using winrar, just rar/zip your esp file as you normally would (I only have winrar but I imagine the process is much the same for winzip or other archive software)

Next, open the archive using winrar.

1. right-click in the files area > new folder. Call this folder "meshes"

2. Open this folder by doubleclicking it (still in the winrar program)

3. If all your meshes are in the data\meshes folder, just drag and drop all the meshes you need from explorer to winrar, you will get a parameters dialogue, normally just click OK

(if your meshes are in a subfolder of \data\meshes, recreate this folder structure first, then drop everything in the proper subfolders)

4. Do the same for \textures, and for whatever other custom resources you have used.

Finally, test your archive just to be sure - close it, then extract it to a test folder - does everything look the way it should? i.e. esp at top level folder, then subfolders with all the meshes etc. You may also want to test this in a "live" skyrim installation which hasn't seen your mod (or temporarily remove your mod + resources used).

This is the "loose files" method, in that people extracting your mod will end up with a bunch of loose files in their skyrim data folder. I may be doing it in a horribly convoluted way, I don't know how everyone else does it. This works for me.

The other method is using the archive.exe tool which came with creation kit to create a single BSA file - for that method see

http://creationkitad...ive-for-skyrim/

Which is better? I personally have no real preference, but some people have problems with BSAs if the comments on many mod threads are to be believed - I've never had them myself so I don't know. Other people dislike having a bunch of random files in their data folder. You could go the "complete" route and offer both, if you really wanted to please everyone.

Not a stupid question - all part of the process ;)

Edited by acidzebra

Wow...Thank you. Seriously, thanks...Lol.

That actually should be posted somewhere. Anyway, I actually thought the steam method - which is what l would use if i could, just because it does it for me and prevents errors - was only for the workshop. Lol.

Edit; reading the link now. Looks like I'll be able to figure this out once I follow the steps a few times. Thanks again.

Edit2: maybe this one really is a stupid question, but what happens if I drag n drop all the resource packs to a separate folder like the guide says to create? That would leave me with the directories they're going to use, wouldn't it? I could either delete all the actual files (might be easier than recreating the directories)... Would this be scary? lol. (I'm thinking it might be less mistake-prone given how many actual directories Im looking at. so far I have...8? different resource packs Im working with,a nd the number of file paths is crazy.

Edited by slainia

Yes, making a mock data folder plus subfolders, dumping it all in, and then zipping/raring that will work fine too. Probably better if you are using many resources and subfolders. What the hell are you building? http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/happy.gif

Basically adding clutter to skyrim. And mini treasures.

I'ts actually not all that fancy, or even big - i just use a lot of small objects for variety.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25509/

Belethor has kids toys on display for example. Not for sale - dunno, maybe i should set that up - but they're there. He also has spools of thread. In his loft theres a laundry area, with a clothes bin full of lumpy wet clothes, bars of soap & so on.

InsanitySorrow made most of those items, but I also have paintings Im' placing on walls - usually in richer areas - and so on.

Lol.

So far i've mostly finished whiterun, and started windhelm. :)

that wouldn't count as uploading the entire file, would it? :>

Edited by slainia

I'm so sorry about not getting back to you and posting the instructions for tiny-izing the statics. I'm on Long Island and we just got our power back today, ugh. I'll check out what's been going on in this thread later tonight, I have approximately 374 emails in my box.

No worries at all. Focus on what you have to do in real life. I know New York got hit bad, so I'm glad you're ok. :)

On a side note, someone released another resource pack, and i'm sooo excited by it right now. (that sounds wrong.)

I was able to put a globe model of tamriels' world map in the blue palace... and a GORGEOUS horse statue. (is tiny!) Oh. and a book of patterns...

Radiant Ramant - sp? - is getting a makeover atm.

l need a life.

Edited by slainia