Were there artists - sculptors, etc? - in prev tes games?

slainia

Whats funny to think about is look at the Nords from Solstein and look at them in Skyrim. They haven't realy advanced much in the past few hundred years.

So it is no wonder they don't have any artists :tongue:

Perhaps it's time for a guild of artisans mod.

I wonder if we could have a post MQ statue similar to the one in Bruma.

That would be sooo nice... Skyrim is definitely lacking in depth in a lot of ways. /:

Bards and one author-npc are the only mention of artists in skyrim, that iv'e found so far. (fairly extensive exploration. I like talking to npcs...lol.)

That's rather...pale, don't you think? I'm refering to vanilla here, not stuff people added in. It's kind of... well. I'm starting to agree with the sentiment that beth leaves stuff out intentionally for modders, but.. that 'stuff' is seeming more important by the week...

not sure if that's nice of them or if they're just taking advantage of what modders do, but /:

If you look around, though, there are no actual artist type npcs, by any definition of the term but the bards & author windhelm.

Bards and one author-npc are the only mention of artists in skyrim, that iv'e found so far. (fairly extensive exploration. I like talking to npcs...lol.)

That's rather...pale, don't you think? I'm refering to vanilla here, not stuff people added in. It's kind of... well. I'm starting to agree with the sentiment that beth leaves stuff out intentionally for modders, but.. that 'stuff' is seeming more important by the week...

not sure if that's nice of them or if they're just taking advantage of what modders do, but /:

If you look around, though, there are no actual artist type npcs, by any definition of the term but the bards & author windhelm.

I didn't really want to go too far off topic and mention it, but to me it speaks of nordic culture in general. The whole of Skyrim is a run down ruin except for Imperial run Solitude and the Jarl's don't really seem to care. That's what makes it all the more laughable to me that the Stormcloaks think they'll do a better job going back to archaic ideals. Look for example at Winterhold. What did they call that disaster? The great collapse? And all the Jarl does is sit there placing the blame on the Mage College instead of attempting to rebuild. Even a thriving city like Whiterun is surrounded by a crumbling wall. The whole battle of Whiterun was such a farce when you can literally walk over the western side of the wall right onto the battlements from Whiterun plain.

Maybe you can call it Bethesda being lazy, but when you look at the themes they put in place and the NPC's, it seems to me they went out of their way to make Skyrim a rundown ruin.

I would consider the composing of Music, Poetry and Story Telling (traditional story telling) Art myself.....Cyrodiil had the Painters, Skyrim has the Composers...it is still art and requires just as much dedication and talent.

Stemin does have a very good point though in regards to the over all run down appearance of Skyrim....I would have really expected something else myself, Nords being the hefty souls they are to be sprouting Stone Masons at least....decent and well built and attended stone and timber Strong Holds would have made more sense to me coming from such a Warrior focused Society, at least well maintaining their Strong Holds for the ability to defend their land.

I'd be more impressed with the bards if they knew more than 4 (or 5, if you count aggression/oppression as separate) songs. (And all of the songs seem to be less than 20 years old with the exception of The Dragonborn Comes). If some of them actually would recite the entire poetic edda they brag about, sure. The bards don't tell any traditional stories outside of the poetic edda which you only hear part of. I barely consider them bards, since my idea of the ideal bard is Taliesin. And there are no harps in Tamriel that I've seen. Not that anyone cares but me.

I would consider the composing of Music, Poetry and Story Telling (traditional story telling) Art myself.....Cyrodiil had the Painters, Skyrim has the Composers...it is still art and requires just as much dedication and talent.

Stemin does have a very good point though in regards to the over all run down appearance of Skyrim....I would have really expected something else myself, Nords being the hefty souls they are to be sprouting Stone Masons at least....decent and well built and attended stone and timber Strong Holds would have made more sense to me coming from such a Warrior focused Society, at least well maintaining their Strong Holds for the ability to defend their land.

you both have really good points, but the thing is - when a human population has a high enough % of it being inactive, they tend to find ways to amuse themselves. Some of that will be the nazeems and so on, but there would *still* be some with a more creative bent.

As for the bards, I used to write poetry myself, so I'm not saying that it doesn't take skill or dedication. Quite a lot, in fact. But the thing is, with Stemin's point about crumbling walls - it wouold completely fit the game & atmosphere, AND the lack of repairs, if stonemasons did exist. I'm not saying they should be in every city - I'd be happy with the odd one here nad there, even if he only does small work, or if most people think he's a lazy good for nothing SOB.

As to the bard part - i hadn't really thought of the extent of their songs, but there reallly isn't much, is there? Again it points to the idea that it's something beth shouldve fleshed out. Even the poorest, most debillitated culture has art, evne if it's just wood carvings or some other cheap resource.

It's part of human nature to want to create; i don't think the nords would be exempt of that.