Quicksaves

TheNexxusOne

I read another post recently that asked if anyone else is ashamed of their quicksaving techniques. LOL! If I used quicksaves before every fight, every lock pick, every hack, every conversation, then yes, I would be terribly ashamed because IMHO I would be taking all of the FUN out of the game! For me at least, a lot of the fun of playing a game like Fallout is the danger factor...the risk of failure. Constant quicksaving removes all risk of failure and danger. So...here are my thoughts.

Real World Concept: There is no such thing as a magical "quicksave" that allows people infinite "do-overs" when attempting difficult tasks such as lock picking, taking on a group of Super Mutants, or disarming some land mines.

Corresponding Game Mechanic: Remove the quicksave function and adjust autosaves to only save on sleep or wait, not when entering a new zone.

Additional Game Mechanic: Adjust the regular save function so that a player can only save they game when exiting the program.

Current solution: Since there is currently no mod for this that I know of, my solution is to NEVER save manually. I will wait for an hour anytime I use food, drink, or meds to simulate giving them time to work (see below) and when I do, the game will autosave for me. Other than this "autosave on wait" I never save my game. This one concept alone makes the game approximately 15K times more exciting for me! My heart actually races and I experience real fear when I am in dire combat situations. Knowing that if I die, I will have to go back to the last time I found a safe place to rest makes the wasteland much more dangerous and exciting for me. It also gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I manage to make it back to my house alive.

I missed disarming 3 landmines in Minefield, and I never loaded my game. Each time, I just found a house to "rest" (I use the WAIT command to avoid the ridiculous healing effects of sleeping) in for an hour, ate 1 food item, drank 1 drink item, and used 1 stim pack, and went back to the land mines. Talk about a great memory for my character! "Sonny, let me tell you about the time I found a town called Minefield, I had the most terrible time trying to disarm all of the land mines there to sell for Nuka caps...oh the injuries were terrible..."

I like your point. I haven't yet reloaded from locking a terminal, or giving up on a safe. My real saves are whenever I sleep. I have auto save turned off except sleeping.

The only thing i'm ashamed of is that I almost have to have quick save bound to my left mouse button because sometimes the game crashes every 5 minutes, and I seem to get "stuck" somewhere whenever i take a step off the main road, and that I spent money on a product that was released broken without reading reviews first. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My Fallout crashes every now and then due to some behind the scenes errors, so I'm quite happy with the auto-saves - I even believe you can disable them in the options menu and not quick saving every now and then just requires you to plug the button assigned to it out of your keyboard. :P

Modding without even coding or scripting anything, I'm a genius. :D

Archived