CTD at word walls

peregrine111

Anyone has something similar?

I was fine for AGES, I literally didn't have more than 2 crashes the entire time I played SSE. Until TODAY. Funny thing is, I didn't change anything in my game, and it still has updates disabled, so there's not really anything that should be different.

I'm yet to test the other word walls, (because I ran Bleak Falls yesterdays and was completely fine), but now:

I am crashing EVERY SINGLE TIME I get close to Lost Tongue Overlook's word wall.

Thought it was messed up scripts because I deleted Vivid Weathers this week and continued with the same character, but when I tested it with a new character, I still crashed at Lost Tongue.

The one time I managed to get closer to the wall than 10m without crashing, I got several messages about learning the Fear-Dismay word from it. It appeared that the wall was teaching me the same word over and over and over but I eventually crashed. Can't be the only thing though, because most of the time in that place I crash before even getting close enough to get the word.

As far as I know, I have no mods affecting word walls at all. Literally the only thing that comes to mind is that effin Vivid Weathers. Can it be that using NAT+PRT enb instead of VV some lighting now causes CTD with outdoors walls?

Last thing I'm gonna try is re-installing NAT and PRT to see if Vortex didn't delete some of their files by taking away Vivid Weathers, but if not even that works, then I'm at my wit's end.

EDIT: went to a different outside word wall and that one worked as usual. I have NO IDEA why (after that I returned to LTO and crashed again, so idk). I clear Lost Tongue Overlook on every single playthrough and this is the first time I have CTDs there (or anywhere for that matter).

Edited by peregrine111

If it literally just started, and you haven't changed up your mod order I would think it's the latest Skyrim update. Roll back your version, just to be safe.

SKSE can also be an issue if it's updated, alongside many mods that use SKSE. If your mods are set to auto-update, you might have to pick apart your list.

Otherwise, it'd help if you could provide list of the mods you are using.

I have blocked the updates for Skyrim, still using the... july, was it? version.

I've managed to overcome this stupid CTD after about 30-something crashes.

I walked towards the Word Wall a bit, then used tfc to fly camera to it. Switching back to character and getting closer, back to tfc and getting to the wall, back to character, killing the dragon, moving closer, tfc again, and when I finally walked to the word wall with my character, it didn't crash for once. Dunno why the hell that worked, maybe it was a combination of a different weather/time (aka lighting conditions) or something else. If I never get this bug again, it will be too soon. Spent more than half a day yesterday trying pretty much everything.

• 2 weeks later...

It was not only the word wall. it was everything east of a certain point (even hugging the south side of the Riften's mountain, I couldn't get more than few steps east of the burial mound).

I eventually traced it to INTERESTING NPCs SE (I had version 4.0). One of the added NPCs in that corner of map (likely the one in the burned down house or somewhere close to it) must've been bugged and caused instant CTD the moment it was loaded (I have render distance for NPCs set to max, like most people I think).

Uninstalling Interesting NPCs (3DNPC) fixed the problem for me.

But since that leaves Skyrim kind of bland, I activated it again and downloaded the 4.1 update for Interesting NPCs, and here's hoping that patch fixed it.

Edited by peregrine111

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@peregrine111 Did the updated version of Interesting NPCs SE resolve the CDT issue? I've been having CDTs at a few word walls also.

As I understand it, Interesting NPCs referenced a navmesh that Bethesda deleted at some point. I'm told that updating to the latest version of Interesting NPCs will fix that and stop the CTD.

Here's my thought on this, because I have Interesting NPCs and no issues. The problem likely isn't with the mod Interesting NPCs, the problem is that a character from that mod is trying to use a deleted navmesh. The REAL problem is the mod that deletes that navmesh in the first place.

Do you by any chance have the mod "Folkstead and the border of Hammerfell"? I have never used it, but someone over on my crash fixes page was having the same CTD issues that you are. This mod messes up a navmesh in the area. I am told that the mod author is aware of the problem and working on a patch.

Anyways, just pointing out that Interesting NPCs is unlikely to be the final culprit here.

Link to my crash fixes guide in my signature.

Edited by melvinius