Ditch the Insta-Healing

TheNexxusOne

Good point... it is either healing potions or healing orbs or something like that... I guess instead of requesting a mod for these kind of details, a player can roleplay so he/she doesnt use stimpacks during fights or roaming the wasteland and use stimpacks only at home in Megaton or something, or only get healing by doctors...

You are absolutely correct, macmert. If you will note in the "current solution" portion of my original post, I stated that I ONLY eat, drink, or use stim packs when I am in a relatively safe location (if the wait command will not come up because enemies are nearby, then the area is not safe). And then I will only use one of each item type and then wait for 1 hour to simulate the hour required (in my imagination) for the effects to kick in.

Thank you for reading and for your comments!

No problem, I love to contribute... The thing is we dont have a CS right now so all we can do is roleplay ourselves...

This + ammo weight would make me very happy

The problem with adding weight to ammo is that the lowest value recognized for weight is 0.1

I think 100 5.56 rounds in real life weighs approximately a pound, so setting it to 0.1 would be 10x more punishing than it should be.

I'm very disappointed by the fact that they didn't allow room for smaller numbers.

I agree that food/drink shouldn't be usable in combat, but stims should. However they should not be instant! I'd like to see a 3 second wait period before it kicks in (I'm sure an animation of stabbing one into your wound is asking too much) that consumes a good chunk of Action Points; and during those 3 seconds you shouldn't be able to fire your weapon or do anything else but move around because you're busy injecting the stimpack. To prevent overuse, they should be addictive like other chems, but the option to use a bunch in a short amount of time should still be present.

This, along with disabling pipboy access during combat, ammo weight, hunger/thirst/fatigue, and higher vulnerability to damage, would make a great realism overhaul mod that further enhances the survival aspect of the game.

The problem with adding weight to ammo is that the lowest value recognized for weight is 0.1

I dunno, I've seen some pretty amazing mods in Oblivion that even Bethesda said were impossible (IE mounted combat). I'm sure there are workarounds, though we're probably going to have to wait for the CS.

What if ammo was weightless until you hit 10 rounds? Then 11, 12, 13, etc weighed 0.1 until 20 rounds which weighs 0.2? Kinda like selling stuff that's worth half a cap. If you sell a dart you get nothing in return, but 2 darts are worth a cap.

I agree that food/drink shouldn't be usable in combat, but stims should. However they should not be instant! I'd like to see a 3 second wait period before it kicks in (I'm sure an animation of stabbing one into your wound is asking too much) that consumes a good chunk of Action Points; and during those 3 seconds you shouldn't be able to fire your weapon or do anything else but move around because you're busy injecting the stimpack. To prevent overuse, they should be addictive like other chems, but the option to use a bunch in a short amount of time should still be present.

This, along with disabling pipboy access during combat, ammo weight, hunger/thirst/fatigue, and higher vulnerability to damage, would make a great realism overhaul mod that further enhances the survival aspect of the game.

I dunno, I've seen some pretty amazing mods in Oblivion that even Bethesda said were impossible (IE mounted combat). I'm sure there are workarounds, though we're probably going to have to wait for the CS.

What if ammo was weightless until you hit 10 rounds? Then 11, 12, 13, etc weighed 0.1 until 20 rounds which weighs 0.2? Kinda like selling stuff that's worth half a cap. If you sell a dart you get nothing in return, but 2 darts are worth a cap.

You're absolutely right, course as you said I wouldn't count on a solution for it until the CS comes, *if* it comes.

And as far as the grouping solution, I kept coming back to that idea over and over again on how to give it weight, but I have no idea how I'd implement that, at least when using FOMM.

This + ammo weight would make me very happy

I have requested an ammo weight mod from Neclipse who made a great weight mod for MISC items. He said he might do something like that in the future. I certainly hope so! I would also like to see a weight mod for drugs. Even with the minimum weight of 0.1 I think modding weigs for these items would add a lot to the game.

Well, your solution is a bit too extreme - what should happen is either the health should be gained over time as in Diablo (10 seconds or so) or using a stim/eating etc should have an appropriate animation - meaning each time you eat or take a stim mid-combat, you are going to be getting shot at. This would make it more like fallout 1/2 where stims take action points.

As it is right now, the game is far too easy - how can you possibly die when you can freeze time to heal? It really destroys the gameplay.

:thanks: for the comments and suggestions, dascott! However, I respectfully disagree with your first statement. I do not believe allowing only one stim per hour is too extreme. My L33T FPS skills are quite sad really, and I follow this rule 100% of the time while playing the game on Hard difficulty. The way I RP the game is to never heal. eat. or drink in combat. When I enter combat, I go into the fight as-is and fight to the death or try to escape if I think I can. If I survive the fight, I will try to find a bombed out building or other place to "hide" for an hour. Once inside, I eat 1 food item, drink 1 drink item, and use 1 stim-pack. I then exit my PipBoy and immediately "Wait" for 1 hour to simulate giving the stuff time to work. After the wait period is over, I leave my hiding place and move on regardless of my current physical condition (after-all, no one can stay in one place too long in the wasteland and hope to survive!) As such, I frequently go into a fight with medium to low HP. This combined with my philosophy on game saves (click here to read) the game takes on a COMPLETELY different feel for me. It becomes a world filled with real danger and real risk associated with my decisions.

Is this more extreme than some would like? Of course. There are plenty of people who play this game just for the fun of running through the wasteland and blowing away monsters FPS style, etc. And that is fine! They are entitled to have fun in their own way. But do I believe it is "too extreme" for those looking for a deeper RPG experience? I do not. I am not a mad skillz player of shooter titles, and I have done just fine surviving using these techniques on Hard difficulty so far. I have to be careful out there, and sometimes I die resulting in loading a game form 30 minutes ago, but the experience is certainly worth it for me!

That's above and beyond the call of the typical survival games I know :blink: But more power to ya.

I would however like to see a mod that would at least increase your health in a stream over time instead of instantaneously.

Thanks for the suggestion, BlindSniper! You and a few others have made similar suggestions, and after thinking about it a bit, I believe you may be on to something! Restoring HP in a stream would be a great idea! I would also suggest that if anyone does go for a mod like this, that they make the "stream duration" adjustable. Clearly, there are some who want a stim to restore HP in 3 seconds or 10 seconds...and then there are the die-hards like me who want it to take 60 minutes! That would actually fit my vision perfectly. If the stim took 60 minutes to run its course, that would be perfect for me!

I think 100 5.56 rounds in real life weighs approximately a pound, so setting it to 0.1 would be 10x more punishing than it should be.

Easiest fix would be just to add an extra zero on the end of everything else and that includes the base PC weight. Pretty simple fix really since you don't need any extra decimal places. So basically what I'm saying is say the PC has a base weight of 190, add an extra 0 to make it 1900, then a Rifle that used to have the weight of 3 would be 30 if you add an extra zero.

Really you just need to mess with the existing scaling system to workaround the hard limits.

Archived