Creating a custom weapon rack

Ulath420

Trying to create a custom set of weapon racks instead of the vanilla looking ones you see all over the place.

I'm trying to get a specified weapon rack for each weapon type but at the moment I'd just be happy with the custom mount working at all.

Using the standard WeaponRackMidACTIVATORPlayerHouse but I want it to visually mount on a WRDunIntStoneBracket01.

I followed all the instructions for linking WeaponRackMidACTIVATORPlayerHouse to a standard WeaponRckMidPlayerHouse (just replaced it with the WRDunIntStoneBracket01) but the weapon is ending up horizontal about 2 paces right of the player. Refreshing the cell (leaving and re-entering) made no difference.

So I tried to get a little more specific. Just left the mounting point alone and embedded a dummybattleaxe in it and linked the battle axe and the activator, same result.

I'm at a loss and I cant find any tutorials for creating custom weapon mounts so I'm asking for help.

Tried the Mod Troubleshooting forum with no responses so I thought I'd try here, any help would be appreciated.

The way weapon racks work is that they:

1. Force the player to drop his/her currently equipped weapon.

2. Tell the weapon object to lose it's havok physics and therefore hang in mid-air

3. Tell the weapon object to attach itself to a special node in the rack that acts like a 'hanger'. That's the part that's messing you up. Your stone bit does not have that special node.

I was able to make myself some custom weapon racks as an experiment, which I ended up never releasing, but they worked well. I just scripted them from scratch and dispensed with the activator trigger. I had also used Nifskope to create my own 'hanger' nodes in the .nifs. Hanger nodes are just regular nodes placed wherever in the 'rack' mesh that the weapon's center will be, and rotated the correct way. To use your stone block, you'll at least need to add hanger nodes with the exact same names as those found in vanilla racks, if you intend to use the vanilla system.

You might be able to get away with making a duplicate of the vanilla weapon rock, position the racks so that the weapon appears where you want it to on your stone and then assigning the "NullTextureSet" to all rack parts making it invisible.

Your new stone "weapon rack" can just be a normal static. When the weapon is placed on the transparent rack, it will look like it's mounted to the stone.

You also might be able to copy the NiTriStripsData of the stone using NifSkope and paste it over the tri data in a copy of the vanilla rack.

Ah cool. Thanks, I'll try both of those. While I've been stuck on this I also tried to set it up as a container, like a bookshelf with a dummy weapon instead of a book marker. I must say, containers that display what they are holding is not my forte.

Thanks again!

if you were talking about weapon is being misplace even that you've put the weapon rack marker properly you might want check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdfilJ12l0

read the comments, well if that is really the problem in your end..

@LittleBaron

i see you create your own script for the activator trigger so i just wondering is there any kind of axis placement for type of weapons that we put because i'm really cant understand scripts. i made some custom rack for my bow collections and as you know the common ways the bow will always facing up, when put. but in my particular case i want it to face down. i've tried to tweak with rotating the marker but still no avail, so i thought it may has something to do with the scripts.

thanks

Edited by ebony_ivory

@ EbonyIvory: You just have to change the rotation of the named hanger node, with Nifskope.That is, if by 'custom rack' you meant you made a new mesh. If not, then you could (I think) tell the bow object to rotate 180 degrees in the (DUPLICATED!) vanilla script, just after it attaches itself to the node. If that does not make sense, PM me so we can stop Hijacking this thread. :wink:

@ EbonyIvory: You just have to change the rotation of the named hanger node, with Nifskope.That is, if by 'custom rack' you meant you made a new mesh.

It worked, and daym why i did'nt thought about it before when i replace the mesh with my custom made. simple -90 on Y and R and there it goes thanks for the tips Baron, much appreciated :laugh:

Hijack away! This actually sounds like an issue I may be facing soon :tongue:

haha, dont worry i'll go away now...thanks to LittleBaron :dance: