What personal rules do you play?

slainia

Mine are....weird.

- I never murder people. Unless it's part of a quest, then I'll feel horribly guilty for doing it but do it anyway.

**Except for the feast quest and haunted house quest. Have avoided both of those on all characters since I realized what I was expected to do. Same with the ebony blade.

- I always give beggers a coin, and try and avoid stealing from poor npcs. Until they have something specific I want, then I leave them something in return. Usually food or books. (sometimes it's because of weight, but shhhh. don't tell anyone.)

- I prefer to play a character style strictly - ie if i'm playing my archer, she's not getting involved with the mages guild until she actually qualifies in more than just having enchanting and resto at higher levels. if i'm on my mages character I don't really have any rules except joining the companions - if I can't actually contribute to their...favored skill set so to speak I don't do it. Unless i'm forced into it by the stupid stone quest, of course. :>

- I try and....hrm. this is going to make me sound realllly creepy, but i get attached to followers. In other words, this is the first playthrough - in almost 1k hours played - that I've had a follower other than lydia, except for a *very* brief period where I had the mage from the tower. This means I refuse to let them die, even if it means I have to reload 20 times at the same spot in order to avoid it.

- Try and spend my gold at vendors that I know are struggling. This one's hard, but if i can i try and use the winterhold trader quite a bit. :> Just wish it actually had an effect. :(:(

Atm that's about it, aside from the normal collect everything in sight thing.

So. What about you? What odd quirks do you have?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally try to protect the underdog wherever I can. I try to avoid violence wherever possible, unless I see someone oppressing/killing someone else, in which case I'm quick to exact justice on them with the wrath and fury of a fanatic. So, I kill bandits when I see them, and I free prisoners and kill their oppressors. Same with Thalmor if I'm feeling game. I also take special pleasure in stalking and hunting the hunters, and seeing them resemble their own prey as they run around blindly in their final moments while I pop them from the bushes. I also set those painted cows free by killing the farmers who are leading them to their death.

If I see hunters attacking wolves, I'll kill the hunters. But if I see wolves attacking hares, I'll kill the wolves. I know the wolves gotta eat, but so do the hares...on my watch, it's the hares that get to eat.

I'm a keen alchemist, but I generally use only plant materials, and leave the butterflies and fish alone.

Though more than anything, I play it by ear, rather than sticking to any rules religiously. I like Enatiomorph's philosophy, but that kind of role playing is not for me. I've almost never replayed an RPG - I do whatever feels most right to me at the time, so if I replayed it, I'd just end up doing almost the same things anyway. Rather, I do one very long, very thorough playthrough that leaves me feeling fully immersed and satiated.

You've given me some ideas.... hrm. That may, or may not, be a good thing, but more rp options is nice. Lol. (l'm not an rp'er by nature, but i do think of my character as rather...neutral-good, l think.) She'll do what's necessary for her own gains, but if possible she helps out everyone. They just may have... a few items missing when she leaves, thats' all.

Not sure I've ever really played an evil character, actually. Don't think I've even really tried. It just feels...weird.

Mind you, i almost never make it past level 20, either - i tend to restart the instant I feel my character outlevels the content of the main quest, even tho l almost never do it. /sigh

Like volnaiskra, I actually only have one very long, thorough character ^^; Level 51...ish. I think he's chaotic good, but he has a very messed up religion ^^;

-I don't steal. I think it was because the game kept pushing me toward the Thieves Guild, but whatever the reason, he hates theives... so he doesn't steal. Brynjolf is offensive to me, always saying my gains must be ill-gotten, and I modded in a change to the guard dialogue that they don't call me sneak-thief unless Sneak and Pickpocket are above fifty >> (originally, it was if Sneak OR Pickpocket was over 30. And my Sneak was thirty by the time I was level 5.) I don't break into people's houses, either, unless I have to.

-If a Daedra or other Higher Power tells me to do something, I do it. (The only other Higher Power in the game is Sithis, really, since the Divines don't speak to us directly.) I think of this as happening because my first encounter with the Daedra was the House of Horrors, and Molag Bal got into my head.

this is true even if I like the person they're inevitably telling me to kill. I like Dunmer a lot, and I quite liked the guy from the Vaermina quest (Erandur? Or is that someone else's name?), but once she told me to kill him, I turned to him and said basically "Sorry... I'm sure you understand" and set him on fire. Boethiah tells me to show that I can deceive, so I didn't do it the easy way and just hire somebody, because that's following the words but not the spirit... Nope, I went to the college, took poor innocent Brelyna, and sacrificed her on the pillar, telling her it was a great honor, and being a Dunmer I'm sure she knew it was a privilege. Hircine tells me to hunt - sorry, Sindig, your hide will hold a place of honor on my wall. The same is true of the DB... Nothing personal, it's just business. Even when the contract was for Narfi. :< Poor Narfi... I put him out of his misery, but it does make me sad ^^; the only exception was Clvicus Vile, because I knew I wouldn't get his artifact for obeying him Barbas was part of him and had his best interests at heart, so I did what I should for him ^^; Actually I feel kind of bad about that one, I should have slaughtered Barbas.)

-Complimentary to the above, I assassinate all Vigilants of Stendarr. For one, I think Stendarr is the morally worst of the Divines, but for another, I always try to give them a chance, but I think I have yet to pass a group that doesn't say something like "Stendarr's mercy does not extend to Daedra worshipers!" or something snarky about people who just happen to worship Daedra. Daedra worshipers are not inherently evil (although some Daedra are pretty bad, still, they should be judged as individuals, not persecuted for their religion. They're every bit as bad as the Thalmor, just no one is on the persecuted ones' side.) So again I do the whole Molag-Bal's-voice-in-my-head thing, deciding that he tells me to slay them. :> My preferred method is to sneak up behind them after I pass (tribute to Boethiah) and kill them with Mehrunes Razor.

As an aside I was amused when I installed Dawnguard and it talked about the Hall of the Vigilants having been razed, because I'd already gone there and slaughtered everyone within on my own :P

-Except when in conflict with the above rules, I don't kill innocents or people who don't need to die. No matter how much they irritate me. I always try to talk out of a situation first, and if someone isn't hostile I don't attack them. Sometimes I even prefer to sneak through bandit dens to kill the bandit leaders for bounties, leaving the others alive (and no doubt very confused). I feel bad if a situation gets out of control and someone attacks me and I kill them to defend myself... Like this one fox who had been chased by a wolf, so I killed the wolf but the fox had been turned hostile and attacked me :< I wanted to save it, dang it.

-No fast travel. Carriages yes, because it's in-game, but no fast travel. If I happen to lose Shadowmere I'll fast-travel to the stable I'm at just to make him show up though ^^;

-I don't wear armor, period. My guy wears only clothes and robes (and jewelry). On the one hand it's because he's a mage and I don't want to become a jack-of-all-trades, but on the other it's a practical consideration... armor is heavy and I've never put a single level into Fatigue ^^; (because mage)

-I don't train except for very rarely at the College, because hey, it's a place of learning. Other than that, I only let my skills level up regularly. I don't even 'train' my magic outside of when I would actually use it... no casting Detect Life or Stoneflesh or Waterbreathing when I don't actually need them just to level up Alteration. As a result, on my level 50 mage character my Alteration is only about 65, but... eh. It's natural.

-When I meet skooma dealers I buy up their stock. Apparently I'm a drug-addicted weakling mage :P I wish addiction were part of the actual game mechanic, but I fake it. Especially Redwater Skooma... delish. :}

And basically (here comes the 'good' part) if someone asks for help, provide it in good faith. Assume the best of people and fight on the side of law and justice (so join the Imperials, believe the Alik'r, confront the guy in Windhlem about assaulting the Dunmer lady...) Fight against oppressors and tyrants (Ulfric, Thalmor, both Dawnguard & Volkihar :rolleyes:) and be a good person... when not assassinating or eating people because the voices in my head tell me to. Heh.

Edited by AnkhAscendant

Hahah your character would be fascinating to meet.

>.> I just bought dawnguard and hearthfire. Now skyrim won't let me play. /cry

Going to haunt the forums and clean, because if i sleep it'll be for hours. Anyway. I think chaotic-good might actually be a more accurate description of how I play, although I can't remember how lesser crimes like stealing play into the definitions.

As for the thieves guild, I love it - the storyline is pretty well done. When I'm doing the random quests tho, I avoid doing any that require me to frame someone unless i don't like the npc. If i don't theyr'e fair game, but I felt so guilty when I was asked to frame brunwulf freewinter in one of my first games. (only realized I could avoid that quest type THIS playthrough. heh.)

I actually thought of 2 things I do purposely, just to make the game annoyingly difficult.

1 is pricing - i have ace's byog pricing set at -75% i think, + phitts alchemy mod reducing pot value so that most of the pots l'm making are worth 3-7g each before the markdown. Lol.

Again w/ byog I have xp set at -75% so i can explore as much as I want. i'd always restart around level 14-20 before this mod, now I can finally build a character where I feel her lack of assets, both skills and monetary etc forced her to claw her way up from being a dirt pour prisoner with rags on her back to someone the townspeople can respect.

and maybe fear.

just a bit.

I always try and help people too, actually. I'm also tempted to take advantage of the multiple followers mod, if only to tell them their home is some luxurious palace where tehy won't have to work aday in their lives unelss adventuring.

but you know what i really want?

a polygamy mod. >.> not for the...adult aspects, but because i think my character would get too attached to all of them to chose. o.O

I want polygamy too (although partially for the adult aspects :P) I like collecting people. Theoretically there are at least a couple that let you marry multiple people, but one is all menu-driven through a book because the author finished the coding part but didn't really get to the implementation before he had to stop, and the other seems kind of buggy... at the least, it's a workaround more than a fix, it has one (the most recently married) a your 'active' spouse and ten other slots for your other spouses. Unfortunately I can't remember what either of them are called or I'd find them...

"Polygamy mod... because I'm not sleazy, just passionate." <-Sloganified.

I can find other sources of the...more passionate aspects, so i'm ok w/o those. TBH the npc kissing animation kinda makes me laugh. But seriously, wtb polygamy mod. Or more accurately - though this would never ever happen - a mod that allowed for interaction between the npc spouses to show their relationship. hahaha..../wanders off with head in the clouds

usually my rules depend on the character i'm playing, for the most part.

these are my kind of universal rules i suppose

i do tend to rp obsessively i guess. i only fast travel when i'm pressed for time or i'm going to be running over terrain i've already gone over several times, basically to give things a chance to respawn.

this isn't exactly a rule but i have trouble playing evil characters, it makes me feel guilty & i don't really enjoy it. i'm just the goodie-two-shoes type at heart. that might make a good name for my next argonian character. on second thought no. :biggrin:

Ummm....let me see....what I do in every game:

1/ Never steal or murder....just can't do it.... :facepalm:

2/ Always wipe out the DB and TG....so much fun.... :devil:

3/ Always eat, drink, sleep, restrict weight for items carried, looted, etc...

4/ Never fast Travel or take carriages.

5/ Always give Beggars coins....though I always let the male beggar in Riften finish his first time rant before I give him the coin.... :biggrin:

6/ Always a pure blood Werewolf ....infect him from the start of the game with a mod.

7/ Always help Spriggans....have a mod that makes them friendly to the player now, that helps a lot.... :tongue:

9/ Never kill Deer, Bunnies, Foxes and other harmless creatures....only kill predators if I really have to.... :(

10/ Always hunt down and kill Bandits, Thalmor, Vamps and other such un-pleasantries.... :devil:

11/ Never wed....always play something of a bad boy in that department.... :blush:

12/ Always side with Madannach.

13/ Will NEVER kill Paarturnax.

Edited by StayFrosty05