Skyrim Hallucinogenic Recreational Overhaul Of Madness(SHROOM)

ArtMurder

Welcome to Skyrim Hallucinogenic Overhaul of Madness, or as I like to call it SHROOM!

Have you ever wondered why the plants in Skyrim don't really do much when you eat them? You would think with beings like Sheogorath prancing about in this world, at least SOME of the plants would create crazy, trippy visual effects when ingested, I mean our simple mundane earthly plants do it, why can't the plants of Mundus do it? And it's not just as simple as trippy visuals, some plants like nightshade will have powerful negative effects on the ingester, making it hard to see and damaging your health.

Hello, I'm a long time TES fan, (over 10 years) I've fumbled around in the construction kit on past TES games, but never released anything, but this time, I believe I can actually do it! This thread will be a log and report of my progress on my new mod SHROOM, it will be somewhat inspired by the Shivering Isles of oblivion, a wonderful fantasy escape from the bleak grim world that is Skyrim. I intend to make most of this mod myself, but the creator of the mod Skyhighrim has given me permission to mess with his mod, and possibly include parts of it in mine. Though this mod is not a 'drugs' mod, and will not touch skooma, or alcohol(though I might mess with moon sugar) this mod also does not ADD anything to Skyrim, I will simply replace the first alchemical effect of many alchemy ingredients with a 'drugged' effect. (I would like to see if it's possible to simply have the effect applied on the item, without taking up any of the alchemy slots like the mod Psilocybin Mushrooms but so far, this seems to be the most immersion friendly way of doing this.) I have NOT gotten permission to use parts of that mod yet, though I only left a comment a day or two ago. I only want to know how they added the effect to the ingredients though, not actually use any part of the mod.

------------------------------------------------------------

Plans for this mod:

Give different visual effects(some including a poison effect) to EVERY mushroom in skyrim.

Give appropriate effects to other plants in Skyrim, like Night Shade and Nirnroot.

Introduce 'drugged' potions, that will create much more intense versions of the effect when you combine multiple items with the 'drugged' effect.

Stacking. Every additional item you take will double the effect, and the duration.

DON'T EAT THAT. Some items will create very, very bad effects, either damaging your stats, health/magicka/stamina, applying an intense visual effect that makes the makes combat impossible until it fades away, or a combination of all of the above. Eating random unknown plants should be risky, now it will be.

Adding some of the more 'delightful' mushrooms to the 'drug dealers' sell list, and addition to increasing the value of some of the 'choice trip' items.

Combat helpful trips. I intend to make some of these trips in this game be helpful during combat.For example, Moonsugar might make you move twice as fast, give you more stamina, and swing your weapons twice as fast, but it might also apply a bad screen blur effect, while reducing your health and magicka regeneration to nothing.

Garlic and Vampires. Just for fun, I'd like to throw in Garlic disabling all vampiric abilities for a short time. if you can reverse pickpocket garlic into a vampire, he will be badly weakened. This is just an idea, and may not be possible.

Trip Monsters. I'll need help with this one. I'd like some drugs, once consumed, to 'summon' a monster to attack the player, this may sound random, but for drugs with highly intense trips that the person may react badly to, it s a good representation of what it would be like to fight off a bad trip.

And lastly, if I can find a way to make some vanilla voices work, find some good resources, or get a friendly voice actor, I'd like to introduce 'Lunatics' tot he game, these are people who will be in the most random of places, completely out of their mind. They will generally ignore your existence, or attack everything on site. They will always have at least one drug on them.

Antidotes. Having a bad trip? drink an antidote. I'd like to see if it's possible to add the script to charcoal, so I don't even have to add these.

What this mod will NEVER include:

REPLACERS. I will only edit vanilla alchemy ingredients, I will replace nothing.

ADDITIONS. I will not add any new meshes, or items to the game, again, only editing existing items, so as to keep lore/immersion to a maximum.

QUESTS. This is going to be a 'plug and forget' mod, nothing but the raw edits will be included. You have to find them, and find which ones you like, all by yourself. If it is HIGHLY requested, I will put a SINGLE book somewhere in the game describing the effects of some of the more 'delightful' and 'devastating' trips. I will hide it well, yet not stupidly, and it won't be obviously named (Don't look for 'Guide to SHROOMS in Skyrim' ). I think most of the fun in this mod will be in the experimenting, and the book should be a wonderfully useful guide to help keep you alive in the wilds of Skyrim, not a given-on-startup-insta-know-everything-guide.

ALCOHOL. This exists. I just don't care to included it. This should be compatible with any alcohol mods that way too.

EARTH DRUGS. I may base some of the effects of earth drugs, but I will never outright include an earth drugs. It's lore, and immersion breaking.

ADDICTION. I simply don't see how it's fun to simulate addiction. If you become addicted to a drug in this mod, it's purely based on how much you enjoy it's effects, not some stat drainer forcing you to find more. If anything, I think will teach people something. If you look back on your game, and realize you spent over half of it tripping on one particular mushroom, and diving in dungeons all the time to find more of them, maybe you will decide your character needs an intervention. or maybe it'll just give you a reason to dive in dungeons more, and make everything prettier in the process.

Logs/Progress:

None yet, I am currently getting a grasp of how screen effects are applied ins Skyrim. I just got Skyim for PC this month, so I am still spending most of my time actually PLAYING Skyrim right now.

Final Notes:

This mod is not for the faint of heart. Some of the effects may be very scary, or just flat out annoying. Always bring an antidote if you are going to eat random plants you know very little about.

I MYSELF DO NOT USE DRUGS. I have in the past, but I don't know. Please do not assume I am a simple druggy wanting to drug-up Skyrim. I simply want to create a more interesting, realistic experience in Skyrim. I like the screen effects Skyrim is capable of, and the vanilla game just doesn't do any of them justice, and no mod created today works the way I want it to.

This mod is still in the very early experimental stages. I can use any help I can get, and am not above begging! if you think you can help on this mod AT ALL, please don't hesitate to post! I am not very skilled at the CK, and I want this mod to be very professional, so if I have to I'm willing to just be a director of sorts on this mod. I will also do every little detail of it myself if I have to, I just known the end result won't be as good.

This is the one, and only mod I will work on on Skyrim. Maybe once I finish this I'll work on something else, but for now, this is going to be my baby.

If I placed this in the wrong forum, I apologize, I looked all over, and this seemed to be the most appropriate forum.

Edited by ArtMurder

What are you going to do to differentiate it from the mods you linked?

" Give different visual effects(some including a poison effect) to EVERY mushroom in skyrim. "

I don't think that's a good idea. I eat mushrooms IRL and I've never hallucinated. Not all mushrooms need this effect.

As far as not using alchemy property slots, I'd think it would be pretty easy to just trigger the effect with a script when you eat one.

i like the idea :)

you should add trippy dialog (all the people are laughing around you, all people are telling you incredible great you are, dragonborn talks crazy to himself or other strange sounds) and trippy quests (find the happinessblade, dragonborn wants to figth, maybe some drug teleports you to a custom dungeon with custom halucination design)

What are you going to do to differentiate it from the mods you linked?

" Give different visual effects(some including a poison effect) to EVERY mushroom in skyrim. "

I don't think that's a good idea. I eat mushrooms IRL and I've never hallucinated. Not all mushrooms need this effect.

As far as not using alchemy property slots, I'd think it would be pretty easy to just trigger the effect with a script when you eat one.

The main things are going to be immersion, lore, and friendliness. Skyhighrim is really annoying in the fact that in replaces some basic items with it's items, effectively making items like Sweetroles, Cream Tarts, Skooma, and Alto Wine impossible to find. And the other mood basically makes the items inaccessible unless you want to use console, since they are only added to merchants selling items (very rarely I might add) for 3-4 thousand gold each, very unpractical for realism. I also want to have less 'intense' effects, and negative effects, and make it so you can actually PICK an item and get an effect from it, something neither of those mods do. I'm basically just perfecting the ideas, and trying to make this mod both easy to use, and easy to forget about once it's installed. By that I mean, minimal conflicting, minimal immersion breaking, minimal lore breaking, minimal effect on the game period, while still accomplishing a very structured and effective way of making most, if not all plants in skyrim more interesting. I just want to make something fun, that won't have a strong effect on your game. I love for all my mods to flow together and for none of them to stick out at me, and every time I see amphetamines in a church or 5,000 gold mushrooms for sell from a shop owner who's entire inventory + gold amount doesn't even equal 1,000, I just think "this could be done so much better". Plus I had the idea for oblivion, and it never seemed to work right.

And by 'hallucination' I don't really mean just bright colors or something, some might just make the screen blur, some might make things shake, some might loop odd sounds, just in general everything will do different things. And you have to remember that a) these are magical plants to begin with, eating them should do more then have a tiny unnoticeable buff/debuff effect that goes away in 30-60 seconds, regardless of what it is. I will also not include this effects in items that are often seen being used as food items in game. (elves ear, frost mirium, fly amanite, mountain flowers, etc.) Though I would like to add a blur effect on salt, since I can't imagine eating salt would be fun. You have to remember, it's impossible to make any of the other 3 senses work in skyrim, so I have to convey every part of the 'trip effect' into either visuals or sound, so they have to be more intense then you would expect. Though, I likely won't make any but the most intense of items have 'strong' effects like the mushrooms and acid from skyhighrim.

i like the idea :)

you should add trippy dialog (all the people are laughing around you, all people are telling you incredible great you are, dragonborn talks crazy to himself or other strange sounds) and trippy quests (find the happinessblade, dragonborn wants to figth, maybe some drug teleports you to a custom dungeon with custom halucination design)

I've already had the idea of a 'custom dungeon'. but I like the other ides too. I don't want them to be too 'irritating' though, so I'll have to limit dialog. I do have some ideas for it though. :tongue:

You should call the mod "Fear and Loathing in Skyrim" :)

XD The thought actually crossed my mind, I was actually debating between something like that and this name!

EDIT: Oh, I use a few of your mods. I have to say, the Jaws one sounded cool, until I got killed by a 15 foot flying rainbow color fish. :sweat: But I love the ants one, I don't know why, but even in vanilla skyrim I found myself staring at ants on the ground forever...

Ugh. your formatting is... extreme.

I only got to the first half-paragraph or so before the center text bright red font turned me off.

Interesting idea from what I could gather, but my eyes!

lol

So I like rainbows. :armscrossed:

At least I didn't rainbow format the ENTIRE post? :tongue:

Edited by ArtMurder