We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Blender - correct and updated install guide please

Sebo85

I know there are several guides and tuts out there and there's even a bundle you can download all you need to get started.

Tried almost everything but nothing worked for me (and some other google-users too). If it's wrong programm-versions or errors during import or export, I tried two days using google and nexus too to get blender with nif scripts working.

Can please anyone tell me why I get

"string too long [...]" or "array too long [errors]

during import a nif.

I'd really appreciate your help!

"String too long" usually indicates that the nif version you are trying to import is unsupported (too new) by your version of blender. Some work-arounds are known for some games, but since I have not used blender with FO4 I'm not familiar with the process.

"String too long" usually indicates that the nif version you are trying to import is unsupported (too new) by your version of blender. Some work-arounds are known for some games, but since I have not used blender with FO4 I'm not familiar with the process.

Well I tried with a few objects, some structure and furniture ones and everytime I got this message.

And since there's only one version working with nif scripts, I need to know how these workarounds work..

Thank you for your reply :)

Well I tried with a few objects, some structure and furniture ones and everytime I got this message.

And since there's only one version working with nif scripts, I need to know how these workarounds work..

Thank you for your reply :smile:

I can tell you how it was done in Skyrim. We opened the nif in nifskope and changed the version numbers to Fallout 3 version numbers. In Nifskope the version numbers are in the Header. There are 2 that needed to be changed, 'User Version" and "User Version 2". After that we stripped out everything from the nif that wasn't compatible with Fallout 3 - things like the BSLightingShaderProperty. Anything that isn't compatible will show in the error message when you try to import.

The export procedure was more or less the reverse - export for Fallout 3 and in Nifskope change the version numbers back and paste in anything else it needed.

This was done using Blender 2.49b. I have no idea if something similar would work with FO4. Good luck in your quest. :)

The "normal" way is:

Import into FO4: Create your stuff in blender -> from blender: export as .obj -> from OutfitStudio: import the .obj -> from OutfitStudio: export nif

Export from FO4: from NifSkope (or OutfitStudio): export .obj -> from blender: import .obj

There are some threads and tuts around, just search for it