Soldier HP Mod?

uberlicker

Hello, and sorry if this has been handled already, but I couldn't find it :(

I am wondering if there is a simple mod which only corrects the new recruit HP issue, or how I would go about doing that myself.

Totally new to modding, but interested in learning some simple things.

Thanks

This has been discussed extensively in the forums before but I don't think a mod has been released to correct just that one thing.

Doing a proper search in the forum would have let you to these instructions for how to modify things in the exe-embedded ini :

(but then again that's not very clearly arranged so I can understand how it's not that easy to find)

- Get a tool called Resource Hacker (freeware, google for it) and install it

- Make a backup copy of your game exe (steam/steamapps/common/xcom-enemy-unknown/binaries/win32/xcomgame.exe)

- Open that exe with Resource Hacker

- From the left panel, navigate to RCData/1020/1033

- There you have the contents of an ini file in plain text. There are lots of things you can modify in there. (see below for the specifics in your case)

- After making your modfications, press Comple Script (button over the text area)

- File/Save your exe (keep the name as the original xcomgame.exe)

- Start Steam in OFFLINE MODE (or your mod will not work)

- Launch game from Steam, you're done.

Regarding the soldier health bug, the problem is that new recruits have their health defined by the Easy difficulty modifier, regardless of the difficulty you are actually in. The line you will be looking for in the data is :

BalanceMods_Easy=(eType=eChar_Soldier, iDamage=0, iCritHit=0,iAim=0,iDefense=0,iHP=1, iMobility=0,iWill=0)

The base HP for a soldier is 5, making it 6 with this iHP=1 modifier.

What you can do is set the iHP on this line at the same value that the equivalent line for the difficulty you are in.

Be careful, the balance modifier for Classic is described in the file by BalanceMods_Hard and for Impossible it's BalanceMods_Classic, which is counterintuitive.

The value for Classic and Impossible both is -1 (4HP) (...I think. My exe may be modded so I'm not completely sure).

So if you set the iHP value to -1 instead of 1 in the line above, new recruits in your games at all difficulties will have 4HP. If you play Classic or Imp, then this is the correct value, problem solved. The value's not correct anymore for normal or easy, but you should'nt be playing that anyway ^^

BTW, the change applies to new all soldiers recruited after making the mod, even in games that were started before the modification (... I'm pretty sure it does, at least...)

Also, it's highly likely that this bug will be fixed by Firaxis themselves in the next patch, whenever that may be (my money is on the end of this month)

Edited by PepprmintButler

Thank you sir!

I appreciate the detailed instructions, as I am totally new to doing this type of thing myself. I would just use a larger mod, but I want to play the vanilla game a bit to see my reactions to various issues.

This HP issue bugged me enough to want to take a shot at learning how to address it myself.

What bug are you talking about exactly?

He’s not talking about it being bugged, just that it bugged him a lot. Guessing like me he hated how the game, to make things harder they lowered you HP and upped their crits probably.

I am almost done tweaking my mods and testing what I have dome to make the game actually harder and challenging, not stupid and ridicules.

This line in the Exe changes all soldiers HP even the different diffuculty´s numbers, its the base the difficulty numbers change later.

Characters=(iType=eChar_Soldier,HP=5,Offense=70,Defense=10,Mobility=12,SightRadius=27,Will=40,Psionics=30,CritHitChance=0,CritWoundChance=0,FlightFuel=0,

Reaction=0,ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_TakeCover,ABILITIES[1]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[2]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[3]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[4]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES

[5]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[6]=eAbility_NONE,ABILITIES[7]=eAbility_NONE,Properties[0]=eCP_CanGainXP,Properties[1]=eCP_None,Properties[2]=eCP_None,Properties

[3]=eCP_None,Properties[4]=eCP_None,Properties[5]=eCP_None,bCanUse_eTraversal_Normal=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbOver=True,

bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbOnto=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_ClimbLadder=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_DropDown=True,

bCanUse_eTraversal_Grapple=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_Landing=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_BreakWindow=True,bCanUse_eTraversal_KickDoor=True,

bCanUse_eTraversal_JumpUp=False,bCanUse_eTraversal_WallClimb=False,bCanUse_eTraversal_BreakWall=False,eClass=eSC_None,bHasPsiGift=False)

Ohh and there is a different version for the starting troops and the recruit troops as well, but both use this one as a base.

Edited by Miin

He’s not talking about it being bugged, just that it bugged him a lot. Guessing like me he hated how the game, to make things harder they lowered you HP and upped their crits probably.

I am almost done tweaking my mods and testing what I have dome to make the game actually harder and challenging, not stupid and ridicules.

Yah, I didn't mean an actual bug, though I guess it sort of is bug, where the new recruits come in with Easy HP (6) on all difficulty levels. I meant it bothered me that playing on classic, I was getting a 'bonus' I didn't actually want.

Thanks again for the instructions, I was able to make it work :)

Of course then I promptly got a bomb mission on a map I was not familiar with, and wound up facing 6 thin men without being able to deactivate enough nodes, so I charged in a bit, missed a couple shots, and they proceeded to wipe 4/6 including my major and captain.

Oh well, sticking it out, even though my last mission was 5 rookies...

Yah, I didn't mean an actual bug, though I guess it sort of is bug, where the new recruits come in with Easy HP (6) on all difficulty levels. I meant it bothered me that playing on classic, I was getting a 'bonus' I didn't actually want.

Thanks again for the instructions, I was able to make it work :)

Of course then I promptly got a bomb mission on a map I was not familiar with, and wound up facing 6 thin men without being able to deactivate enough nodes, so I charged in a bit, missed a couple shots, and they proceeded to wipe 4/6 including my major and captain.

Oh well, sticking it out, even though my last mission was 5 rookies...

The issue where new recruits get more HP than starting soldiers, that's actually a bug. :wink:

I can confirm what PepprmintButler said, it works. I found that out a while ago and have been using it in Warspace.