Console opening Mod

UberHobo

Ok, so I had a topic earlier about the possibility of making a mod like Oblivion's Ring of Console without a CS or Script extender for Fallout 3.

**READ HERE BEFORE POSTING: Many people have this problem and the whole removing of IR drivers, keyboard layout, ect. does not work, so please do not respond with repeated information of the sorts, because I, and many others have scoured the internet for a solution, and none have worked.**

So once again I pose the question, but this time with some more info. I need to make some sort of modification, be it directly inserted (esp) or some form of injection (like a trainer), to open up the console when I press a key.

The new information I have acquired came from the help of a friend with a completely normal working console. Now, when I would go into settings -> Controls -> Action mapping, and go to re-assign a key to any action, I use the ~ key, the Tilde (Yes it is the key above Tab, yes I am from the US, and yes I have my layout set to US, for anyone who did not read above). When I do this, it says I pushed "148". Now I am not an expert, but I would probably say that is a code for some key. I know it is not the code for the ~ key because when I had my friend do the same exact thing, a message popped up saying he could not bind that key.

This seems to confirm my suspicions that something is changing the code of the ~ key to something less common to some programs, (I can use the ~ in all text editors, any source games (HL2, TF2, ect.), but not in Oblivion, FO3, or Crysis). I have windows Vista 32-bit Premium, My cousin has XP home (he has the same problem), and my friend with the working console has Vista 64-bit Ultimate, so I no longer think it has to do with Windows Media Center, but honestly I have no idea what makes it happen.

Now my question is, would it be possible to make a mod that reads the input of the ~ code, and outputs the correct code that the game engine is looking for. My thoughts originally would be the possibility of making an esp file for a direct mod, but I do not think that would work without a script extender. So my other thought would be something that acted like a trainer and injected itself into the game. I do not have any modding experience, nor any programming/coding abilities, which is why I am asking people from the place I see as the best and most experienced ES4/FO3 modding community for an answer.

Thank you for spending time to read this enormous thread.

Ok, I see it:

If you have a controller connected to your computer, try disconnecting it. This was a known issue in oblivion and may carry over into Fallout3 as they use the same engine.

Might work, might not.....worth a try though.

Buddah

I think you should just give up trying to get information in this forum (it's obvious all you will get are replies about the IR drivers), and move the request to the "requested mods" forum.

there are several threads there asking for exactly the same thing (I just bumped one of them).

don't think any modders are paying any attention, though.

I'm thinking about going back to the oblivion modders forum, and seeing if the person who did the console-ring thing is still active. the format of the files for FO3 is pretty much the same as that for oblivion.

NOTE: the following does NOT mean that a mod which enables the console command isn't needed. It would still be tremendously useful, just like it was in oblivion.

I did a ton more research on this, and it turns out what is happening is that since a lot of laptops are manufactured in China these days, they typically install all the software using an external asian keyboard.

what happens is that there is a registry setting left afterwards that has some key mappings incorrect for US keyboards in it, and the grave key (tilde key) is one of those.

so, here's how to fix it:

open regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

There should be an entry named OverrideKeyboardSubtype with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 2.

Set the value to 0 and reboot.

now, uninstalling the IR drivers in the device manager (if you have them) will work to enable the console to come up.

if you don't have any IR drivers, then just doing the reg change should fix it for you.

I just tested this myself, and it does work for my ASUS laptop.

open regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

There should be an entry named OverrideKeyboardSubtype with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 2.

Set the value to 0 and reboot.

now, uninstalling the IR drivers in the device manager (if you have them) will work to enable the console to come up.

if you don't have any IR drivers, then just doing the reg change should fix it for you.

I just tested this myself, and it does work for my ASUS laptop.

THIS WORKS!!!

I also have an ASUS laptop and just tried this and it worked like a charm. MASSIVE props deserved to the Sir of Toejam.

This news must be spread! Quickly gentlemen, TO THE INTERNET!!!