REQ: Binoculars!

Kizoku

Binoculars would be very nice, allowing you to survey the terrain before you go tromping into it. (Anybody play Stalker? If there's one way in which Stalker was better than Fallout 3, it was those binoculars.) There could even be more than one kind of binoculars: Civilian Binoculars might be nothing more than a 7x zoomed view, while Military Binoculars might have 10x with some nifty range-finder graphics.

Old-fashioned single-lens Telescopes might be an interesting choice, too. (Think of the scope on the sniper rifle, but without the crosshairs.) They should be 15x or more (possibly even as much as 30x), but the image should have deliberately blurry (or frosted) edges and maybe even some small "cracks" on the lens. Call it the Antique Telescope, perhaps.

And how about Night Vision Goggles? Or IR Goggles? I would think one or both of those should be built into Power Armor Helmets…

If there's a way of modifying the HUD sniper sights overlay to look more like a pair of binoculars, I suppose you could always make a pseudo-weapon with a scope and make it use a binocular model of sorts. I think the real problem will be adding an animation such that it'd actually look like your character is using binocs rather than aiming a binocular at the enemy like a pistol or rifle... unless you make a pirate-style looking glass and having the character hold it like an aimed rifle... which would be kind of cool too, maybe a detached sniper scope. :D

You could make a scope to look through by taking a sniper and stripping off most of the parts (like the barrel clip most of the other bits and pieces) so it looks like someone found the smashed up remains of a sniper rifle and all thats left are the handles the top bit of the frame and the scope. Or if you can make binoculars make them out of two taped together scopes! The crosshairs would still be there they would be overlapped and at odd angles.

• 2 weeks later...
And how about Night Vision Goggles? Or IR Goggles? I would think one or both of those should be built into Power Armor Helmets…

Enclave armor should definitely have night vision or thermals (put those glowing eyes to use!), but I think the pre-war suits should just use those big helmet-mounted headlights... Speaking of which, why hasn't anyone tackled that yet? Seems simple enough...

Archived