I want to know EVERYTHING a mod - TESV the right tool?

mothergoose729

The question is the title. I am working on a mod compilation project, and I want to go through all my mods and find out exactly what they change. Things I want to know is cells modified, object modified, scripts added, ect. basically anything that changes the vanilla. Is TESV the right tool for the job? Should I use something else? Does such a tool exist? Thank you for any help.

Yes, tes5edit will tell you, at least for the cells and objects and worldspace. Scripts, I'd have to check a completely vanilla install but I think that folder starts out pretty much empty except for the source directory.

Depending on how many mods you're examining, this may take AGES, even with TES5edit's filtering ability. And it will only be valid for that particular version of a mod you're examining, if an author updates their mod and adds/changes stuff...

Yes, tes5edit will tell you, at least for the cells and objects and worldspace. Scripts, I'd have to check a completely vanilla install but I think that folder starts out pretty much empty except for the source directory.

Depending on how many mods you're examining, this may take AGES, even with TES5edit's filtering ability. And it will only be valid for that particular version of a mod you're examining, if an author updates their mod and adds/changes stuff...

Thank you very much. I have to agree about the time invested but I am excited about taking on the challenge. Skyrim, for the first time in bethesda modding history, has enough good user content available so that it is possible to almost completely reinvent the game. I think some of the best contributions people can make right now is consolidating great mods into packages and working with the authors to fix bugs, improve stability, and provide guarantees of compatibility and stability to the user which is something I intend to try doing!

Sounds like an admirable (if huge) project. To make your life a little easier, you could ask the tes5edit team if there is any chance of adding an export function (like "take all the edited/deleted vanilla records and dump them in a csv format"). There is another program tes5dump which will dump ALL records of a given plugin (it's a commandline tool) which you can write to a text file but then you just have this massive text file; you'd have to build your own excel (or whatever) tool to compare records to vanilla. Edited by acidzebra

Due to the problems we have had with them in the past, we don't allow mod compilations to be uploaded here.

On the surface a compilation may look like a good idea, but there are many unforeseen problems.

first, there is the problem of mod authors actually wanting credit for their mods - in the form of downloads and endorsements - neither of which they get when someone gets their work through a compilation.

Then the problem of getting permission from all of the authors - we don't allow posting someone elses work without their permission. And many will refuse to give permission because they don't get credit - just saying I give credit to author - doesn't get them any downloads or endorsements toward file of the month, hot files, top 100 lists etc.

If your compilation contains more than a few mods, it can be huge - making it take a long time to upload & download (and, unless you elect to not support it at all, you will be doing that a LOT. :wallbash:

If there is a patch that causes just one of the mods in your compilation to crash, the entire compilation must be redone and reuploaded.

If there is a bug in one of the mods included, users will expect you - and not the real author to fix it for them and then when it is fixed, another version of the compilation to be redone and reuploaded.

If a user wants a mod not in your compilation, and it conflicts with one that is in it, - they must choose either the compilation or the mod - or redownload every mod in the compilation. Every mod you add to make them happy makes it even bigger and take even longer to upload and download.

If a user doesn't want just one of the mods, again they must choose to either play with a mod they don't want - or reinstall every mod. And you catch the flack for not doing it the way they want it.

You will have to put up with constant demands to add various mods, to remove various mods, to make it compatible with various mods, to update xyz mod because the author made a major update and other user demands and requests.

Most other compilation makers haven given up trying to keep their compilation up to date after a month or so (it's a lot more work than you might expect)