True Fallout Weapons

TheNexxusOne

Fallout Concept:

The weapons that were in use at the time of The War, are the weapons that remain in the world at the time of FO1...at the time of FO2...and should be the weapons that remain in FO3! Where is the Bozar, the H&K G11, the Pipe Rifle, the Desert Eagle .44, the .223 pistol, the FN FAL, and many many others that made up the world of Fallout that we know and love?

Suggested Mod Project:

1. Rebuild the entire weapon inventory to exactly match the weapons of FO1 and FO2 with maybe a couple of SENSIBLE additions. I know there are many highly talented graphic artists out there who have made some really awesome looking weapons for FO3 already. Is anyone willing to recreate the weapons that are SUPPOSED to be in a Fallout game? I know that it will take a lot of work, and I wish I had the coding or artistic skills to assist, but sadly, I do not.

2. The Fat Man is a retard weapon, and many other weapons are incongruent with the weapons inventories from the first two titles.

I kind of agree on the Fat Man part. It has OOH factor, but in reality, it's a HIGHLY impractical weapon, both realistically, in terms of ammo, and in terms of "when the hell are you really going to need something this powerful"

The lack of consistency in weapon names doesn't really bother me a whole lot. Different location, different situation. Still, having at least -some- of the same weapons would be nice..

My biggest problem with the Fatman is the fact that it is "dumb" fiction. Granted there is a lot of fantastic material in the Fallout universe, but a good deal of the science fiction here is also grounded in real (or at least plausible) science fact. The Fatman (and the exploding fusion powered cars for that matter) is a completely impossible concept. There is no such thing as a nuclear detonation of small enough yield that you could set it off a mere 20 or so feet from your location and survive. Not even close.

As for the inconsistencies in the names, models, and calibers of the weapons, it bothers me a lot because it is a bigger issue than just "different location, different situation." If you go from New York to L.A. the people there will speak the same language but speak with a slightly different accent and may use slightly different words. That is not the case with military hardware. If you go to the 1st Marine Division at the MCAGCC in Twentynine Palms California, the M16A2s, the M249 SAWs and the M240Gs are the exact same weapons stocked in the armories of the 2nd Marine Division in Camp Lejeune North Carolina. Many of the weapons (and advanced armors) in the Fallout universe are leftovers from the equipment being used by the U.S. and China during the Great War. I am certain that the exact same weapons were in use in California and in DC when the bombs fell on 23 Oct 2077. As such, I believe that Fallout 3 should have the exact same weapons as previous titles. Maybe few sensible additions could be added in to keep things interesting, but at the very least, no previous weapons should be missing from the DC Wasteland.

I totally agree with Nexxus, he's basically said what NMA has said for the past year, Exploding cars and Fatman == Fail. The exploding cars create problems because when you're fighting a stray bullet will hit a car which causes a domino effect.. which as a result kills you and everyone in the area.

Further more diversity in the weapons would be epic, As a lot of people have been saying and doing.. Fallout 3 has to be a sequel to Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. The way it is now its not a true sequel but with mods it can easily become one. Just insert the broken parts that Bethesda left out of the game.

I look forward to seeing this happen as I know it will happen eventually because the original Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics weapons were epic win. The fatman is canon breaking.. it just pisses on everything that is Fallout by saying "look who cares about Nukes.. they're like candeh! have some and share the love", fallout was more about the concequences of nuclear warfare.. where the hell is that in this game.. even megaton has a pretty piss weak concequence for nuking it.

Although your putting allot of thought into these things your missing one crucial thing, fun factor! Sure the fat man's highly over powered and alogical but so is practically everything else in Fallouts concept of the aftermath of an atomic war. Would animals mutate like that? probably not but its sure *ban* cool to think they would.

So vulk yeah make more guns, but keep it interesting.

As far as im concerned fallout 3's completely separate from 1-2, stop living in the past and just accept the change!

Your so caught up in this realism and proper terminology, by the way did you notice the submerged cars still blow up and start on fire? Hows that for realism?

I definitely agree that the arsenal should match that of the previous 3 games, plus more. I miss the regular shot gun, and the Gauss Rifle and Pistol!

I'd really like to see a mod that is similar to what one feature of Francesco's mod did to Oblivion, that is providing a great deal more variety when it comes to weapons. This would include increasing ammo types and such. I'd really like a Colt .45! Even if this creates a lot of "clone" type weapons, like 7 different kinds of hunting rifles that look different and have only slightly different stats, it would still be really good because it would increase the variety and give a much more unique feel to any character you create and develop.

Some stuff i'd like to see:

Colt .45 (maybe two different versions: with a 5" and a 7 1/2" barrel [you could modify your colt at a workbench!])

All the old Fallout guns.

SKSs (different versions, russian, chinese, yugoslavian, etc, and they should shoot 7.62x39 rounds)

A full-length double barrel shotgun.

a Mini-14

M-1 Garands (i think these were in the old ones, but i don't remember)

Addable scopes for all rifles. (again, at a workbench)

Different ammo types, like Armor Piercing or Hollow Point, with original stats

@ brandon717: you're obviously an Oblivion fanboi since a true fallout fan would never say that about implementing TRUE CANON material into a non-canon game. The changes are wrong, the Fatman isn't fun at all- its more a gimmick that 14 year old boys rub up against each other from all the bloody mess.. If you wanted that go play Gears of War.. get your FPS out of my CRPG.

What we want to do is make Fallout 3 the REAL sequel to Fallout 1 and 2, in order to do that it requires a lot of repairing to the damaged canon that Bethesda has done. This is why I'm all for it, and frankly bethesda's choices of weapons suck.

last time I checked it was a very mild FPS with an awesome VATS system that salvaged the gameplay making it more a CRPG like it should have been all along.

What Fallout fans want is for this game to represent the legacy of Fallout.. not to go off and do something else.. this is why so many of us were pissed off at Bethesda because they were just butchering the poo out of the franchise.. The fatman being a pure example of that but also how they re-branded the Brotherhood of Steel to be like the Blades in the Elder Scrolls.

My comment on Gears of War was that if you want a game that is just about Manly Men running around blowing each others heads off with generic weapons then Gears of war is for you.. but if you want a REAL CRPG then Fallout by all means is the definition of that and should reflect on that.

Whilst sure there is the fun factor to consider, Fallout was never really about Fun. Was it fun getting ganked by raiders at level 1?.. no.. Fallout was all about the challenge of the game, that's where the fun was. Fallout 3 has no- to very little challenge. Variety of Weapons would change that.. Variety of munitions would as well. Make the game stupidly hard.. I don't mind. Fallout is supposed to be brutal.

Archived