Killable children mod opinions.

Silveressa

Poll: Killable Children mod, Like it? Hate it?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. The mod to make children no longer gods you feel this is....

• Excellent! adds to the realism!
    • Disgusting you sick freak!
    • Meh, I could care less either way.
    • ??? There's a mod for that!?!?
    • Other: (comment below)

Like the poll says, how do you feel about this mod? Love it? Hate it? Find it pointless?

/discuss

I'm curious how the modding community feels about this admittedly controversial mod; and given the Bethsada forums has banned ALL discussion even remotely relating to such a mod, I figure this is the place for such a thread.

(Note I'm hoping to have a productive, informative, non flaming discussion about the mod, if such a thing is indeed at all possible.)

Also note I'm NOT trying to invite discussion of whether or not such a mod should be allowed for download or whatever, but peoples opinions behind the mod concept/idea.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion, it's just a game. This game clearly wasn't created for families or children to play (given the guns and gore). The child killing mod is for a game that is made to be played by reasonably mature people who would rarely harm someone in real life and who understand that the game is separate from reality. For this reason, I have no problem with the mod. If the mod was for a game designed for little kids, who are not emotionally mature enough to handle death, especially that of little kids, I would be against it. Additionally, I think that Bethesda probably kept out child killing to appease censors, just like they changed the name of Morphine to Med-X. I would never, of course, want to prevent someone from making a mod to protect others.

Now for my comment behind my vote for Love it, adds to the realism.

Personally I feel the mod is something that should never have been needed to be created in the first place. Having virtual "children" being the equivalent of gods is absurd to the nth degree in a game where theft, murder, slavery, and cannabilism are all acceptable. (strange how Beth studios feels enslaving children to a horribly abusive fate is fine, but killing them isn't? :wallbash: )

If they didn't want children to be killed they should have left them out entirely, much like they did in Oblivion, to add them in, make some of them annoying as possible then deny you the ability to do something about it; (if you're playing an evil char) seems to only serve as a method of frustrating the player.

At least now we have a mod for it, so those of us who want the added realism, (and challenge of keeping them alive if we're playing good chars) can enjoy such, and those with some kind of moral/ethical objection can happily not download it and enjoy the game their way.

(as a fan of FO 1 & 2 playing it any other way then as "realistic" as possible, just feels shallow.)

Being able to kill children is a MUST... the choice should be left to the players, if a player wants to kill a child, fine shoot the brats...

If you dont want to harm the children, then fine dont shoot at them and be careful not to harm them in a firefight... that is more realistic, more alive... If you dont want a child or an infant play this game and kill children, devise a parent lock, make parents choose what to enable, like gore, violence, offensive language and such... Even maybe disable the drugs in the game, but it should be left to the players... I mean I can kill an adult, even rip his head off, blast his chest, thrash his arms legs, but dont kill a child... well I say this is a disrespect to the Fallout legacy... It is not about the gore violence and stuff, it is a matter of choice...

You know there are various drugs in the game and I use none of it... I never used a drug once in my entire Fallout career,F1, F2 and now F3... It is not an essential thing for me, I might just say "Remove the drugs, I dont use them anyway" but it is unfair, maybe I will use it one day... It should be my choice... I mean I can rig a nuke and destroy an entire town, but can not kill children... Well maybe the children should be made immune to nukes too, like the roaches :) so that way you cant kill that little girl in Megaton, you cant shoot her, you cant nuke her :)

Hi. My first post. :D

Even I as a generally gooy-two-shoes roleplayer, that would never go on a killing spree targeted against kids in a normal game, have voted for "Excellent!".

In my case it's the realism, that I want to see. Even if I won't personally point a gun at a kid's head, it should at least be possible for an unlucky kid to be caught in a crossfire between the player and, i.e., some obnoxious Talon pigs (:P). I want to feel the utter tragedy then.

-Zalmoxis.

kids can interact with the game world and even get me killed... thus i deem it only natural that theyre mortal too... couldnt actually care less to shoot kids but if they put suckers like the lil lamplighters ingame i think we deserve the possibility to treat em the way the game intends us to treat any other npc... and i must admit i was really tempted to unload my fat man in there...

its a descicion like putting whores ingame you cant do anything with except let em sleep in your bed for 120 caps...

or putting in bottle caps at all... as if anyone would actually care for money in such a world anymore...

or putting in bottle caps at all... as if anyone would actually care for money in such a world anymore...

Not to derail my thread, but the concept behind the bottle caps having "value" in such a world is that they are made of a metal that has natural "value" in such a setting. (as in you can melt them all down and make a spoon, a cup, a bowl, or a mirror, etc...)

Paper money would have value too in such a world really, possibly more than in modern times. (I seriously doubt there's a toilet paper factory still cranking out 2-ply 200 years after the nukes fall. :biggrin: )

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread. :closedeyes:

Additionally, I think that Bethesda probably kept out child killing to appease censors, just like they changed the name of Morphine to Med-X. I would never, of course, want to prevent someone from making a mod to protect others.

That and the fact that it came out 1½ weeks before the US Presidential Election. A nuked out Washington is in it self controversial. If Childkilling were in (or were modded into) the game, computer game violence could have become a topic of the election campaign. Most likely the candidates would fight to be the first to decry the game, and promise harder measures against computer game violence. Also, I would expect that it would be a PR disaster if another school shooting came along down the road.

In my case it's the realism, that I want to see. Even if I won't personally point a gun at a kid's head, it should at least be possible for an unlucky kid to be caught in a crossfire between the player and, i.e., some obnoxious Talon pigs (:P). I want to feel the utter tragedy then.

My sentiments exactly. I want to *have to* be careful, when kids are around.

As stated above, I fully understand Bethesdas stance on the issue. I'm glad that they decided to have kids in the game, and that it has been possible to mod them mortal. I would like to suggest usage of "Mortal Children" instead of "Killable Children". Just sounds more reasonable and not as blood thirsty.

They really should have left child characters out of the game. There are some 'realities' that shouldn't be gratuitously recreated for our entertainment, some themes that should only be explored by those with the intellect to treat them with deep respect. I think it was a pretty dumb move by Bethesda to stick those characters in, when they knew full well how resourceful the modding community is, and when they don't have full disclaimers about modification of their intellectual property. Oblivion has already started to get something of a reputation as a game where strange, misfit young men live out sweaty, sordid and voyeuristic little fantasies on their heavily modded Oblivion. Example: how long before we get a 'Sexlivion' for FO3 (assuming we get a CS, or maybe the modders won't need one). Yeah, that's the problem. Does FO3 get the reputation as the game with child-murder and child-sex mods? And how would you morally seperate one from the other? Both would depict violent violation of children, and most members of the public might well assume that anybody interested in one might well be interested in the other.

Knowing how utterly frigging puerile and tasteless people can be, Bethesda should never have left themselves open for this.

Archived