Fallout 3 "ring of console" mod

LumpAcidShadow

So I decided to crack open Oblivion and Fallout's console after beating both games just for laughs, screwing around and make some funny/interesting stuff happen, and to get a few screenshots into the mix. Oblivion's problem has been fixed by a mod.

Guess what, no console opened. And I've tried everything to fix it.

-Remote sensor? Don't have one. Don't have any infrared drivers or anything like that either. Checked my drivers in device manager - Human Interface, USB controllers - no trace of remote/sensor/infrared drivers.

-Changing the settings in the FALLOUT/Oblivion .ini files? Everything was already set to what I wanted them to be. Hitting the tilde key did nothing at all.

-Tilde key isn't mapped to anything apparently, and appears as "key 148" or "148". Tilde key can be mapped to any key, though it shouldn't be able to be mapped.

-Running on US configuration with standard drivers did nothing.

-Changing resolutions did nothing.

So, I've basically done everything I could, and still no console pops up. I'm thinking that it's just the type of keyboard I'm using - people I've seen using a PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 keyboard experience the same problem.

So I'm wondering if anybody shares this problem, or if there are any fixes for this problem. Also, note that the console works without a hitch in every other PC game I have that has a dev console, or if a mod will pop up. Basically, the mod should have the same principles as the ring of console - an item that, when worn, will activate the console. Fallout 3 runs on the same engine as Oblivion, so I'm hoping that it wouldn't be too hard to create.

• 2 weeks later...

someone tracked this down to a registry entry set in Vista because the machines are setup using an Asian keyboard to begin with.

to fix it:

Start regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

There should be an entry named OverrideKeyboardSubtype with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 2.

Set the value to 0 and reboot.

backup your registry 1st if you think you might flub the edit, otherwise there is no problem with changing that value.

Archived