Faction Quests

caseycox

I would really like too see an expansion of factions. Specifically I'd like to have something similar to the quest lines in Escape Velocity: Nova. In that game there were several different factions that you could join, each with a storyline that you could follow to the "end of the game," although after completing this storyline quest you could still play.

What I am proposing would be a very big mod that allows you to join the existing factions. I have seen a few similar requests on this board, but not to this extent.

I have no modding experience but I have extensive experience in writing/creating campaigns for pen and paper D&D, so I would be able to create the "script" for every faction and could probably get some voice actors, as I am a college student surrounded by wannabe actors.

Here's a brief idea of what I'd like to do:

Most factions would have ranks similar to the guilds In Oblivion, but with a greater ability to lead the faction in different directions when you get higher up.

"Main Story Line" Factions:

Brotherhood of Steel: Joinable at a certain level with neutral or good karma, after completing a scripted event. The main enemy would be the Enclave, and possibly the Outcasts.

Player would start as an initiate, the first quests would be generic scouting/scaving runs. As the player moved up they would begin to start "main quest" specific tasks, like recruiting and dealing with the outcasts and the enclave.

Outcasts: Same requirements as Brotherhood, but joining would be harder, possibly involving turning in a lot of tech or a specific item. The Main enemy would be the Enclave and possibly the Brotherhood proper, depending on how the faction is led as the player gets higher authority.

Similar progression as the Brotherhood

Reily's Rangers: Joinable after saving the stranded Party. Main enemy would be Talon Company.

Generic quests would include recruiting, moving on to taking out the Talon Company

Talon Company: Opposite of above.

Also:

Raiders: Player would start as a member of a small band, working towards unifying other bands together. Player could then take out or merge with the Slavers, and find a way to deal with the Talon Company and the good factions

Slavers: Similar choices in terms of dealing with raiders and other factions

maybe the enclave...

Minor Factions (these wouldn't result in a "game winning" or "ultimate conclusion" ending)

Traders

Bounty Hunters (good or evil, expansion on the existing perk-based factions)

"Town Sheriff" storyline for megaton, big town, etc.

Abolitionists (there was a faction like this in Fallout 2 but i cant remember the name)

Create a drug dealing ring: start as an independent dealer and move up to Kingpin, would probably involve working something out with the raiders.

The player would have to choose one "Main" storyline to follow, but as in EV:Nova, there would be a few opportunities to switch sides. All story lines would end in a big event, like destroying the enclave, that would have a permanent in-game effect.

I realize that this would be a huge undertaking, and as of yet would be impossible without a Construction Set, but I think it would be a vast improvement over the existing set up. I would also encourage the use of other mods that increase the "Falloutness" and variety that is somewhat lacking in Vanilla. I have seen mods for other games, like Medieval 2:Total War, that have taken over a year to complete with a whole team of contributors so I know it is possible.

I also realize that my contribution would constitute a small portion of the work that would be required, but creating the story lines (and making them good) would require alot of creativity and forethought, something I believe I would be able to handle quite well because of my experience with D&D campaign making.

So basically I'm trying to inspire those of you with modding ability to get together in a big project to create something that I believe would be quite popular.

So please, anyone who is interested let me know, or if you are already working on a big mod like this and need creative input I would love to contribute. I have already begun formulating a plan... all I need is some computer people to put it in action.

I would like Faction quests.. but I feel that perhaps the game would have to be changed significantly to do that. For instance, you'd have to become an initiate in the BOS before getting anything to do with power armor.. and for that matter it'd be next to impossible to become an initiate- Tactics sorta screwed this up by recruiting random villagers. Outcasts would be cooler IMO as they are more truer to the BOS in Fallout 1 and 2. I'd also like to see the character be able to join the Enclave as that would be epic win. For once in a Bethesda game let me play the bad guys. (Enclave aren't bad btw.. this stupid game is just biased against them. Enclave are just a darker shade of grey.. just as the BOS are.)

I'm a bit concerned that such quests could really screw with the Main Quest.. its probably better to just chuck the Main Quest entirely and instead write a series of quests that let you go out of the vault and make a life for yourself... but mainly come back to the vault with something worth while (like a GECK since Vault 101 didn't receive one.) I just think the MQ ruins a lot of the potential that this game has. I support Faction quests and joining them. But it requires huge sacrifices for them to make sense given how broken the main quest is to the canon and also to the entire game

(in that you die and it f*#@s everything up).

Well the brotherhood in fallout 3 has followed similar lines as the brotherhood in tactics, which is what caused the rift, so you might be able to convince them to recruit you. The Outcasts, on the other hand, would require a great deal of service or some real fancy talking to get you in. And yeah this would basically cut out the main quest and replace it with several others.

Archived