MORE blood please

Gone Wide

To get the 'what' out of the way, I'd like to see a mod that increases the amount of blood spatter that occurs in combat and upon death. Ive tinkered with a few decal settings and even downloaded a high res spatter mod which is nice, but... let me tell you a story.

I was walking up to the Capitol Building for the first time. Lets say there was a tussle going on, not to spoil anything, and there were a cluster of npcs meleeing each other. I got carried away with my nuka-grenades, and anyone whose used those can affirm that the carnage spread by a well placed nuka-grenade can put the Hostel movies to shame. But when the dust cleared and the emancipated body parts stopped burning there was a distinct lack of blood on the otherwise gore-peppered scenery. Its like I busted up a bunch of piñatas and meat shaped confetti fell out. While the display was still more than enough to offend a few grandmas, I was left wondering where my river of blood was.

I do realize the game is already excessively violent and heads are prone to rolling off their shoulders at the slightest provocation, but why go that direction and not bring with it all the appropriate elements? Nobody ever said that the Fallout universe was clean or prudish, and any such notions should be left on the shelf along with the unpurchased title. I bought a game where I find myself routinely removing the extremities of my foes, and seeing them hit the floor with a spatter that would shame the mildest nosebleed leaves me wanting.

I took a look at the guide and did some playing with the .ini settings and managed to get the total decals rendered at once to be more significant and to last longer, which is a good start and deserves thanks. What I was looking for was more long the lines of getting more decals to be rendered per event. For example, currently when an npc in front of a wall is shot in the torso usually a single spatter decal is rendered on the wall behind them, which is fine for that instance.

Take the same npc and sever a limb or the head, and you'll usually see the same single, conservative decal render somewhere near the body. You'll see it more blatantly in VATS when decapitated, the head can roll a considerable distance and has blood spray from the wound that doesn't result in decals when in all likeliness it would make a significant splatter. My protest is the way the blood is displayed primarily on the textures of the model by way of wounds and not everywhere else.

I have to come back to the example of the nuka-grenade. Its one of the easiest ways to get significant amounts of gibbing. There's plenty of model damage and physical destruction, but the end result strikes me as kind of plastic and unpolished in terms of game design. Especially the way the pieces sit neatly on mattresses and floor tiles absent any of the blood that should have been passing through them moments before. The dead npcs end up looking more like broken action figures than the aftermath of a battle.

Archived