The Evolving Society Mod

QQuix

I saw the U-Tube video.It`s very exciting.But is it workable to open the sails when the ship is not at port? That would make it more immersive. I was thinking that you should disable any fast-travel from the island.Making the ships the only way on/off the island.Like a ferry boat schedule. Once you arrive, you must watch for the next boat, easy to see with full sail.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it must have open sail, but during development I usually work with vanilla objects only and it does not have an open sail mesh.

Having both meshes, it is pretty easy to switch as the ship sails or docks. Of course it would be an instant switch, unless somebody is willing to do an animation to open the sails.

I know there are ship resources around (like Mr_Siikas Better Ports) and I take the opportunity to ask for suggestions for ship resources that have open and closed (?) sales meshes.

Yes, making the ship the only way to go back and forth is a good idea. The first time is still uncertain, as it is related to whatever the storyline may be. After that, maybe the player does not have a way to leave the island until he builds a small dock. Then a ship will show up every once in a while and, as the community grows, it shows up more frequently.

. . . well, maybe not. I may need a ship arriving earlier to bring candidates to be hired or to take the player elsewhere to do the hiring.

Anyway, when the community is fully developed, the player will build his own ships and may set a regular schedule for the travels.

perhaps using the elven ship resource on tesnexus

take a look at my owned army topic there are many militairy related things which you can use(especially the offices and units)

Glad to see this thread is still going!

I was wondering if there would be a possibility of some sort of knightly order either founded on the island or coming to offer assistance in bringing it under control, if the Hero has enough fame, rank, etc. they could patrol the roads on horeback if there is more than one settlement, much like the Legion does.

I saw the new elven ships, but they are too good looking to be visiting an island lost in the ocean. Maybe they could come toward the end, when the community will be large enough to get the attention of larger ships.

In the beginning, only a few, small ships will deviate from their routes to visit the island. As the island grows, larger ships will come.

I took a closer look at mr_siika'a Better Ports and it seems it cover all bases it has a small fishermam sailboat to be used at the initial stage, a medium size corvette that, properly scaled, may be used as a medium size cargo ship and a large cog for the final stages. All with both, folded and unfolded sails.

So, there are ships of all sizes to visit the island at different times. This also may allow for building the shipyard earlier than I was planning, so the player may start building rowboats and grow from there.

juderodney , the player will build a security force. Stating small and growing as the economy grows and can afford them. Btw, one of the things that may or may not be implemented (depending on having the time at the end of the project) is the possibility of officers going up in rank within the force.

Whether they will be a knightly order, just plain guards or something else is up to the storyline. Meaning: it is still open to suggestions.

I saw the new elven ships, but they are too good looking to be visiting an island lost in the ocean. Maybe they could come toward the end, when the community will be large enough to get the attention of larger ships.

In the beginning, only a few, small ships will deviate from their routes to visit the island. As the island grows, larger ships will come.

I took a closer look at mr_siika'a Better Ports and it seems it cover all bases it has a small fishermam sailboat to be used at the initial stage, a medium size corvette that, properly scaled, may be used as a medium size cargo ship and a large cog for the final stages. All with both, folded and unfolded sails.

So, there are ships of all sizes to visit the island at different times. This also may allow for building the shipyard earlier than I was planning, so the player may start building rowboats and grow from there.

juderodney , the player will build a security force. Stating small and growing as the economy grows and can afford them. Btw, one of the things that may or may not be implemented (depending on having the time at the end of the project) is the possibility of officers going up in rank within the force.

Whether they will be a knightly order, just plain guards or something else is up to the storyline. Meaning: it is still open to suggestions.

if using the elven ships at the end of the storyline: elves of ltr can come to your island as extra citizens and special soldiers, i have an lotr race mod so we can use that and an elven soldier tech line :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hi, juderodney.

The answer would be: YES and NO.

The NO part is because I have not worked on the main engine of the mod during this period.

But there is a good reason: the OBSE team released a revolutionary version in June (v17 with array support) and is about to release another revolutionary one (v18 with User Functions). They were also kind enough to include functions to move load doors, so I can move the buildings in this mod.

So, I was waiting for these awesome new functions in order to review/recode the main scripts.

And YES, because I am exercising my hand with the new functions, on things that will be part of the mod:

1-A ship schedule 'engine' - 75% done, still have to add backward movement

2-A customized AI for the NPCs - 33% done. Working on it

3-The mechanics for the player to choose the building style - 50% done

All heavy stuff, and I kind of cycle thru them so I don't burn my brain. As soon as I finish one of them, I will resume working in the main engine.

So, the general answer is YES, as most of what I do is, directly or indirectly, moving this mod forward.

Thanks for the interest. And for asking. (it sure gives me a warm feeling)

More ideas are always welcome, but I must say that I won't work on compiling and selecting ideas for a couple of months, at least.

So, take your time and, if you come up with some, either post them ASAP (preferred) or write them down and post them when the time comes.

On a quick progress update, I am pleased to say that the customized AI for the NPCs is going fine and I would bet that most of you will enjoy the little side mod that will result from it.