Dragonborn DLC ~ asset heaven?

Korodic

So I looked into the dlc bit. I sure noticed the area it will be located. Speculation as it may be, I think we'll be getting some rich new content to use, and morrowind mods may benefit from it, such as the telvanni structures.

Sure glad I didn't participate in a mod redoing Solstheim... I knew it'd be redone!

This is a good strategy for Bethesda, intentional or not. By putting in high quality models it certainly increases the value of the DLC to a modder and therefore tempts us to buy the DLC, create mods with the DLC, and therefore the mod-users be required to get the DLC.

Why that may seem profit-driven, it's probably for the better, since it has the opportunity to bump the quality of mods and help those who are creating large scale mods. The moving boats and mounting of dragons appearance may also indicate that they are investing their time in things we are struggling in.

Sure we have moving boats and such, but my no means are they perfect, nor can they be due to some restrictions of the base game. With Bethesda's unlimited access to change these things (being limited by the engine) and viewing the things we were working on to possibly learn from or get basic ideas, they appear to be taking the best of it and spreading the love to consoles (BUT PC WILL BE BETTER BECUZ.)

So what do you guys think? Am I the only one seeing a tiny pattern here? I hope this is their strategy, we can only benefit :P

I don't know if that's their strategy... it'd be nice if it were. The thought of PC players and modders getting some love, however belated, is certainly appealing.

So far, though, there have been relatively few mods released using assets provided by DG and HF (especially the latter). There are a few notable exceptions, of course, such as Ghosu's work with his musket/flintlock mods, but generally speaking, modders have avoided toying with DLC content. I'm not sure what the reason is, as my work hasn't necessitated touching that stuff, but I have to assume that there have been technical hurdles standing in their way. God knows that the CK is a temperamental beast on the best of days.

However, when it comes to simple assets, like meshes and textures, I'm sure that you're right... it will open up a range of new possibilities for modders.

I've only released 4 home mods but even the 2 bigger mods I've been working on use vanilla skyrim exclusively. I want my mods to be available to the largest possible public. Not everyone has or is interested in HF and DG (for me, vampires don't do it although I got it for the crossbow/soul cairn/castle fun and adoption/kids are meh), but I will definitely be buying DB.

So for me it's a conscious choice to stay away from DLC requirements in my mods simply because it may restrict your audience.

Unless there is some kind of super-duper ultra set of meshes which I just can't pass up - never say never right?

Edited by acidzebra

I think Dragonborn will be great for modders, just as Dawnguard and Hearthfire were, but maybe much more so. Most importantly, any engine additions can only improve things for literally every last Skyrim player. Like you said, sure, we have mods for "Aspect A" and "Aspect B" but they're just that. Mods. A moving boat or dragon riding may be a very small part of Dragonborn for all we know, but we only benefit from their existence alone. The meshes and textures will help Morrowind mods greatly too, but I also expect to see people expanding the Dragonborn play space with new homes, NPCs, stores, and who knows what based on the same assets. Like I said, DG and HF are good for assets too, but I think because of how different everything is in Solstheim, the creativity gears will really start turning.

You know, speaking of assets though, I know I'm probably dreaming, but I'd love to see unfinished meshes and textures released to the PC community after all is said and done with DLC and updates. I mean, even if it's some low poly mockup gravestone, an unused set of logs, birds, whatever, that stuff would make so much difference in sprucing up a mod. The things cut early in development that aren't up to par could be fixed up a bit by modders and have the pack re-released as a semi-official modders resource. I think it'd be great, because little things like that matter immensely, and just like any game, you know they probably have tons of stuff like that that'll otherwise go to waste. It sounds overdramatic lol but it's seriously a shame! :ohdear:

I think Dragonborn will be great for modders, just as Dawnguard and Hearthfire were, but maybe much more so.

90% of the mods I've seen for Hearthfire are bug fixes or cheats to provide the player with building materials. I don't think it's proven to be that great for modders... I haven't seen any of the adoption/building resources used in any modded homes for instance.

Dawnguard has done a little better, but there still aren't that many new and interesting mods using its assets. Muskets, Dwemer rifles, and playable snow elves... that's about all I've seen.

I think Dragonborn will be great for modders, just as Dawnguard and Hearthfire were, but maybe much more so.

90% of the mods I've seen for Hearthfire are bug fixes or cheats to provide the player with building materials. I don't think it's proven to be that great for modders... I haven't seen any of the adoption/building resources used in any modded homes for instance.

Dawnguard has done a little better, but there still aren't that many new and interesting mods using its assets. Muskets, Dwemer rifles, and playable snow elves... that's about all I've seen.

I have to agree with everything you said so far with 100%, but I do think Dragonborn will be different because all of the new assets provided and again the possibility of engine changes, or coding that makes move-able boats mountable dragons either entirely possible or maybe more possible. We'll have to wait and see.

Well most people want their mod to be working for all people who use skyrim and rather makes compatability patches for DLC's. I too work mostly with vanilla assets, but mostly because Dawnguard Hearthfire provided me with little reason to use them. I would like to make use of the building system Hearthfire uses one day, but im excited to see how the Dragonborn DLC turns out, that boat animation would be fun to use.