How do you install mods?

RezSig11

:wallbash: okay, ive been messing around with my fallout3.ini file and trying to move Archiveinvalidation.txt into my Fallout3/Data folder and it just wont happen.

Could someone please tell me the basic instructions on how to install Fo3 mods

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most mods at this stage come as an .esp file. These go in the Data folder in your main Fallout 3 directory. When you start Fallout 3 click on Data Files and check which ones you want to use (as war77 said).

Other mods that change sounds or textures go in their respective directories inside the Data folder (the read me's will tell you which).

The Archiveinvalidation.txt goes in the main Fallout 3 directory.

Hope this helps :)

Ok I have done all that and nothing has changed in the game. What gives? :wallbash:

I am specifically talking about the archiveinvalidation.txt mods.

The esp filed ones seem to be working fine so far.

It basically comes down to 3 things.

1. Have the textures etc been put into the correct folders inside the Fallout 3 / Data directory?

2. Have the correct entries been added to the Archiveinvalidation.txt? Remember, don't just copy and paste the Archiveinvalidation.txt if you all ready have one as it will delete any old information. You need to add the new entries into the existing one.

3. Is the Archiveinvalidation.txt in the main Fallout 3 directory?

There is a possible 4th question and that is...

4. Are you using Vista as I believe there are issues with that OS and Fallout.

Did you change bInvalidateOlderFiles=0 to bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 ?

Yes, I triple checked everything. I even put an 'archiveinvalidation.txt' in both Fallout3/ dir and the Fallout3/Data dir just because there is some confusion on that.

I have been reading other topics to figure this out. My next move is to try and get the tech supp. with bethesda. I want to cover all bases before that.

When this issue is resolved I have some mods I want to get done so I am kind of anxious. :confused:

Did you change bInvalidateOlderFiles=0 to bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 ?

Yes, I triple checked everything. I even put an 'archiveinvalidation.txt' in both Fallout3/ dir and the Fallout3/Data dir just because there is some confusion on that.

I have been reading other topics to figure this out. My next move is to try and get the tech supp. with bethesda. I want to cover all bases before that.

When this issue is resolved I have some mods I want to get done so I am kind of anxious. :confused:

This may take some time but it's the only thing I can think of.

Take out the archiveinvalidation.txt from the Data folder. I'd hate to think that two of them are conflicting. As far as I'm aware it only goes in the Fallout directory (it works this way for me).

Delete the contents of the archiveinvalidation.txt and reinsert the texture lines.

What OS are you using?

Other than that I don't know what the problem might be.