How do you install mods?

RezSig11

Did you change bInvalidateOlderFiles=0 to bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 ?

Yes, I triple checked everything. I even put an 'archiveinvalidation.txt' in both Fallout3/ dir and the Fallout3/Data dir just because there is some confusion on that.

I have been reading other topics to figure this out. My next move is to try and get the tech supp. with bethesda. I want to cover all bases before that.

When this issue is resolved I have some mods I want to get done so I am kind of anxious. :confused:

This may take some time but it's the only thing I can think of.

Take out the archiveinvalidation.txt from the Data folder. I'd hate to think that two of them are conflicting. As far as I'm aware it only goes in the Fallout directory (it works this way for me).

Delete the contents of the archiveinvalidation.txt and reinsert the texture lines.

What OS are you using?

Other than that I don't know what the problem might be.

Ok, I will try that. I only added the archiveinvalidation.txt file to the Fallout3/ dir after reading a few posts. I will take the file out of the Fallout3/Data folder to eliminate that possibility of error.

I am on Vista so I have been reading more and more reports that there might be some sort of conflict with Vista.

So what I have done is:

a. extract new texture files to Fallout3/Data folders (following modders directions to specific texture files)

b. changed .ini file in the mydocs

c. created archiveinvalidation.txt in my main Fallout3/ dir

d. added all the path for the new textures within my archiveinvalidation.txt

That seems to be the basic thing everyone is doing to get these types of mods to work. Let me know if I have something left out or wrong.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks fine to me. If that doesn't work then I'd lean towards some sort of problem with Vista :wallbash:

I'm using XP so I can't help you there unfortunately.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

ok so i have gone to the fallout.ini in my documents, changed the archiveinvalidate to 1.

added ArchiveInvalidation.txt to the main directory

added

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3\Data\repair_mod.esp

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3\Data\norepairneededv2.esp

to the invalidation file, and checked the mods in the fallout mod selection when starting the game.

but the only thing that happens is it screws up my game and i lose all items. as soon as i remove the mod files it works right. i even tried using each mod individually

what am i missing?

im using win xp, steam version of the game.

ok so i have gone to the fallout.ini in my documents, changed the archiveinvalidate to 1.

added ArchiveInvalidation.txt to the main directory

added

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3\Data\repair_mod.esp

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3\Data\norepairneededv2.esp

to the invalidation file, and checked the mods in the fallout mod selection when starting the game.

but the only thing that happens is it screws up my game and i lose all items. as soon as i remove the mod files it works right. i even tried using each mod individually

what am i missing?

im using win xp, steam version of the game.

OK. You don't need to add anything to ArchiveInvalidation.txt if you are using .esp files. Just put those .esp files into your Fallout 3 / Data directory and check them in Data Options when you use the Fallout 3 launcher.

Delete those entries from ArchiveInvalidation.txt

ArchiveInvalidation is used when you are adding textures or sounds, things like that. You aren't using any of those here :)

The only thing you need to change in the ini is set bInvalidateOlderFiles to 1. By default it's 0

Now you should be good to go :thumbsup:

removed the entrys from archiveinvalidation, checked only one mod at startup.....and it still breaks my game :wallbash:

could the mod just be broken? or could it be the steam version has something to do with it?

I'm sorry I'm not sure about that. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable might be able to help.

Yes, I triple checked everything. I even put an 'archiveinvalidation.txt' in both Fallout3/ dir and the Fallout3/Data dir just because there is some confusion on that.

I have been reading other topics to figure this out. My next move is to try and get the tech supp. with bethesda. I want to cover all bases before that.

When this issue is resolved I have some mods I want to get done so I am kind of anxious. :confused:

Take out the archiveinvalidation.txt from the Data folder. I'd hate to think that two of them are conflicting. As far as I'm aware it only goes in the Fallout directory (it works this way for me).

Delete the contents of the archiveinvalidation.txt and reinsert the texture lines.

What OS are you using?

Ok did that but still no fix. I also tried to change the default .ini in the fallout3 main dir. Still the game is unresponsive.

Perhaps there is a way to make these texture mods into a esm plugin. Any thoughts?

What OS are you using?

Ok did that but still no fix. I also tried to change the default .ini in the fallout3 main dir. Still the game is unresponsive.

Perhaps there is a way to make these texture mods into a esm plugin. Any thoughts?

Why are you changing the default ini in the main directory?

The ini to be changed is in MyDocuments/MyGames/Fallout3

What OS are you using?

Why are you changing the default ini in the main directory?

The ini to be changed is in MyDocuments/MyGames/Fallout3

I know, I changed it there because I am trying new things. Apparently there is something wrong with the prescribed method. I don't know if it is a Vista problem or what but there has to be some disconnect between the mods and our current method of getting the textures to work.

In any case that did not fix it. So I will try something else until someone finds a fix. If I find a fix either by reading or myself I will post it.

Do we know anything specific about this problem. All I can gather is that only people using OS Vista are having this issue.

Has anybody heard of anyone getting texture mods with archiveinvalidation.txt file to work on Vista?