Changing the music

captaindimitri

Hello, fellow modders, I've been trying to find an easy way to do this, and have come up with nothing. I'm downloading the UDK right now to get to the bottom of this, but if someone has already beat me to it, then let me know.

I'd like to change the background music to many of XCOM's different situations. Combat, enemy movement, HQ, game startup, mission briefing, etc. (More specifically, I'm going to be changing it to the Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack.) Does anyone have any pointers on how to do this? I'll post what I figure out here if I can.

Thanks!

Edit: f*** that, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. It's gonna be a while.

Edited by captaindimitri

This game would be so much better without the music that sounds like it belongs in a US Army recruitment ad on television. A way to put the PSX soundtrack into the game would be great.(As far as I know, considering a site like Strategyinformer has the entire soundtrack available, tossing it in wouldn't be illegal. Even if the actual music was a no-go, directions for how to replace the ingame music with whatever people do have on their PC would be awesome.)

• 3 weeks later...

Really wish I knew. As far as I can tell, the sound files are somewhere in one of the UPKs, and getting them out, then replacing them with something else, would take more skill than I've got. :\

Edit: Did a bit more looking, seems like the music is in the following files, if we go by their names:

Strategic music:

HQSound_Act1Music_SF.upk

HQSound_Act2Music_SF.upk

HQSound_Act3Music_SF.upk

HQSound_InterceptionMusic_SF.upk

HQSound_MCMusic_SF.upk

HQSound_MemorialMusic_SF.upk

HQSound_SoldierSelect_SF.upk

HQSound_YouLoseMusic_SF.upk

Tactical music:

SoundCombatSoundtrack01_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack02_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack03_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack04_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack05_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack06_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack07_SF.upk

SoundCombatSoundtrack08_SF.upk

SoundTerrorSoundtrack01_SF.upk

SoundTerrorSoundtrack02_SF.upk

SoundTerrorSoundtrack03_SF.upk

Other music:

Sound_CreditsMusic_SF.upk

SoundXComMenuMusic_SF.upk

That's all I've been able to find, at least. No idea if the huge number of files called "SN____________SF.upk"(with the underscore being replaced by a bunch of numbers) are related, but I'd wager those are sound effect files, and not music.

Edit #2:

Successfully unpacked at least one of the upks. I used the upk decompresser to unpack HQSound_InterceptionMusic_SF.upk, then used oggextract on it, and wound up with a .ogg file of the interception music. Now, if there was a way to get another audio file into .ogg format, and get it /back into/ the uncompressed upk, then use XShape to make the game read it, we'd be in business, I believe.

Oggextract: http://moriya.ca/oggextract/

Edit #3:

From what I'm reading about the modding of Borderlands(Another game that uses UE3) packing audio back into the game would require either making the game look for the audio in a directory within CookedPCConsole, or using UDK to pack a file in, which, last I heard, wouldn't work, because UDK-packed stuff isn't compatible with XCOM.

Edit #4:

Tried loading the upk in udk, didn't work. Going to look around a bit, see if I did something wrong.

Edited by FlyingHigh10000000

• 2 years later...