Small things that really bother me

Psykodelic1323

Loading screens are fine, in fact I'm annoyed my SSD loads so damn fast I don't get to read the image captions. Game needs a toggle wait for keypress option at load screens.

I joined the Legion because the Stormcloaks are led by a bunch of racists. "Skyrim belongs to the Nords", I mean, come on people, wtf. On the other hand, can we get to help the Thalamor die in a fire? Maybe in the next Elder Scrolls game? Thanks.

"When is the last time we had a good bandit raid?" Excellent observation there, mr town guard. Also, isn't there a bloody civil war supposed to be going on? It bugs me that I can travel blithely between towns without ever fearing for my life, getting robbed and left naked in a ditch, or forcibly conscripted into abovementioned racist army.

On a related note, can civilians please stop trying to punch dragons? Or anything hostile, for that matter? They should immediately flee indoors and cower until the coast is clear, with the sole exception of guards and soldiers, who live expressly to die horribly.

I know it isn't fun to be forced to eat or sleep in games because screw realism, but can I at least have the option of taking a bath? I don't want to think how badly that hide armor (fresh off the corpse!) smells after a whole game month. No, seriously. Also, NPCs don't care about hygiene, that bothers me. The guards should toss my filthy ass back out on the streets if I try to show up at the Jarl's place covered in weeks' worth of gore. Also, those pansy elves should be able to smell me coming from a mile away, I don't care that my sneak skill is level 100. And immersion was completely shattered for me when I discovered I could get married wearing naught but a loincloth. PLEASE. (Let's not get into the whole comfort thing either.)

How do I start out knowing all those recipes, but don't know a single alchemical recipe? We should know some basic ones, then the rest left to lore books. I like the flavour text books, but there's way too many of them. Make more of them do useful stuff, like teaching you recipes. I shouldn't need a mod to confirm that, yes, cow ball soup is good for your manly bits.

Blah spell variety. Where's the crowd control stuff? Stunning, blinding, dizzying. Speaking of which, what's up with critical hits anyway, "extra damage" is so lame, I could just stab the target one more time if I wanted that. Crits should do interesting things. Like when I smash my heavy shield into someone's face, he could be knocked off his feet. Also, why can arrow killing shots fling bodies as if they weighed nothing, but bodies often appear to get stuck in parts of the terrain and I can't even budge them?

Speaking of bodies, why do raised dead crumble into ashes, that's discriminatory against necrophiliacs. "Oi, I hadn't finished with that!"

The world is so underpopulated, how is there even an economy. Where are the regular traveling caravans, etc. Maybe that's the point of the marriage function, your contribution towards the population. If that was the developers' intention then it seems like they half-assed it, since they left out the parts of the game where you actually do something about contributing to the population. Looks like I'll have to fall back on studio Illusion games for that.

There's a calendar, right? What happened to it? How about NPCs actually doing something different on weekends and holidays? I get it, guards are faceless sacrificial meat bags, but I don't think the other NPCs enjoy repeating the same things every day, day in and day out. Where are the festivals? The little gatherings, telling ghost stories over the bonfires for kids, and telling lewd jokes for the old people? Their lives are so monotone and meaningless, I think I'll stop here and go to a corner and be sad for them now.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined the Legion because the Stormcloaks are led by a bunch of racists. "Skyrim belongs to the Nords", I mean, come on people, wtf.

And the Imperials are SO much better with their whole "White Man's Burden" approach. Nords are just barbarians and Skyrim would be total chaos if it weren't for the Empire giving them rules. The Empire tries so hard to be a civilizing influence, but all these Nords, Bretons, Bosmer, etc. (not to mention those darned animal races) just don't appreciate it. Right.

Edited by BrettM

I been using magic. And it really has been bugging me. Quite a lot.

It was fun in Oblivion. In Skyrim you can't even defend yourself. Take a mace to the face while your doing silly charges. Magic in one hand, and a weapon in the other, and you can't even block! Then to add insult to injury your magicka doesn't even regen while charging a spell so if you keep casting and casting it doesn't regen, period. You want it recharged, you drink a stupid potion, or wait a bit and take yet another mace to the face :facepalm:

Just kinda wanted to post this and see if I'm not the only one...

Things that really irritate me in Skyrim:

Loading Screens: This is def my top irritant in the game and there isn't much we can do about it. Like you say- can't do anything

Did you notice that the first 2 people you see die in Skyrim have their hands initially bound, but after they die, their hands are free? Little bug that eats at me...didn't really notice

A Lovely Letter quest: You have 2 initial choices, ruin Camilla's relationship with the elf or the Nord. Later you can also marry Camilla taking away either option. So what's wrong with this quest? I don't think either deserve Camilla, but you don't get to make that choice! there's no choice to get her drunk, have her face tattooed purple, and sell her to a travelling circus either...

House of Horrors: You can initially tell the Daedra you will not help him, but then are forced to do so in order to finish the quest. (This also applies for most Daedra quests) Like any quest, you can choose not to pursue it. In order to complete the quest, you must do the deeds. I went to college, and they told me if I choose to, I can graduate, or I could give them money and not go to class anyway. Turns out I had to do all sorts of stuff to graduate. It was required for that Quest, don't you see

A Chance Arrangement: So I'm a good Dovah; I don't steal, I rarely pick locks, and I never pick pockets, and yet as I enter Riften, I am bombarded by thieves. "Never done and honest day's work for all that gold your carrying lass." Excuse me? I earned this gold, all 5,000 of it! Why must we be forced into joining or ignoring the Thieve's Guild? We have the option to destroy the Brotherhood, so why not the guild? So some guy tells you that, and you believe him? Maybe he's full of baloney. So the dude is wrong. I meet lots of people who are wrong, in real life. They say lots of things

Lack of voice actors: I love hearing Kovu (Jason Marsden fyi) in every town I visit. I love Perth's voice however, does he play any others? there's actually lots of voice actors, but maybe more was possible

Lack of marriage candidates: Console users are pretty much outta luck, and same things to pc players without mods. (How many PC users don't use mods anyway?) THANK YOU MODS!!!!!! settling down with a wife isn't my thing in a video game, so it never bothers me

So, these are just a few. Bethesda made an absolutely great game...but I think they got lazy on certain areas...again, THANK YOU MODS!!!! (And Modders) I agree. But they can;t make the game all things to all people. That's why we have mods :0)

Edited by Riprock

It was fun in Oblivion. In Skyrim you can't even defend yourself. Take a mace to the face while your doing silly charges. Magic in one hand, and a weapon in the other, and you can't even block! Then to add insult to injury your magicka doesn't even regen while charging a spell so if you keep casting and casting it doesn't regen, period. You want it recharged, you drink a stupid potion, or wait a bit and take yet another mace to the face :facepalm:

The idea, I think, was that you would then spend perk points on supporting skills, like Enchanting

And the Imperials are SO much better with their whole "White Man's Burden" approach. Nords are just barbarians and Skyrim would be total chaos if it weren't for the Empire giving them rules. The Empire tries so hard to be a civilizing influence, but all these Nords, Bretons, Bosmer, etc. (not to mention those darned animal races) just don't appreciate it. Right.

"Civilizing influence"? Nowhere in lore does the Legion mention that, you managed to miss the point as various NPCs (repeatedly) mention: if not for the Empire, the Thalamor would roll over everyone. And last I checked, the Legion didn't have racial requirements for joining; better them than Ulfric "if you're not a Nord then gtfo" Stormcloak. Also, /sarc ;)

The idea, I think, was that you would then spend perk points on supporting skills, like Enchanting

Some of us use a shield in the other hand instead of trying to do both magic/melee.

Edited by Trucidation

Spellswords need Dual Wield Parrying

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9247

(requires script dragon)

"Civilizing influence"? Nowhere in lore does the Legion mention that, you managed to miss the point as various NPCs (repeatedly) mention: if not for the Empire, the Thalamor would roll over everyone. And last I checked, the Legion didn't have racial requirements for joining; better them than Ulfric "if you're not a Nord then gtfo" Stormcloak. Also, /sarc ;)

Yeah, no. I mean, I could progressively explain to you why you're wrong here, but I'd rather not start that argument up again.

The voice acting is what annoys me the most in this game i L O V E D the acting in IV. Another thing is how the civil war quest line went down i loved the battle for white run...but lets just say it was very dissapointing after that.And the last thing that annoyed me was how everyone in the game treats you like trash even after you become a thane :(

@Trucidation

W...what? Loading screens too fast????? lol

@Lawlacaust

I haven't played any other Elder Scroll's games, so I have nothing to compare the voice acting too, but it is funny to listen too regardless. The guard's line about Redguard swords cracks me up every time I hear it.

@BrettM

I had a hard time picking a side for the war. I ended up choosing the Stormcloaks initially. With my latest play through's I've been choosing the Legion or ignoring the war all together (f as long as possible at least). Both sides had their ups and downs, but in the end like most other quests, you gotta make a choice anyway (since limited on other choices)

@Ghoulz

Never been one for a magic character. What magic I do use is rather simple like Flames or Shock.

And finally @Riprock

...wow....lol