Jin Roh Power Armor

greatbigjerk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The original picture almost looks German. Like Stormtrooper power armor. I'm sure the gun helps that.

In the storyline that the protect gear comes from, the design actually IS German. Near the end of the war, a German unit makes its way from the Eastern Front to Japan and delivers the armor, MG42s and StG44s.

TheOutlander - that picture is missing at least one key element from the '50s Protect Gear in Jin-Roh - the belt guide on the left forearm guard.

Hi I'm a huge Oshii fan and I'd love to see this project turn out, but I think that the whole concept of the Kerberos saga is radically different than that of Fallout 3 and a direct conversion wouldn't work very well. If we follow the Jin Roh chronology we can see that Japan was actually occupied by Germany after WWII in the Kerberos alternate universe, this would have course contradict the FO3 timeline.

However the Kerberos Power Armor is inspired by WWII gear, so it falls in well with the Fallout universe!

Just my two cents, but I think getting the Emperor involved in the whole thing is a mistake. Kerberos' stories are about the "dogs" who carry out the will of the powerful, not the powerful themselves. They are stories about the troubled nature of political loyalties in a world of intricate politics and bureaucracy. This has little to do with the emperor, who is indeed generally well respected by most Japanese as a representative of the sanctity of Japanese culture and tradition, but is not seriously worshiped as a god any longer.

In the unlikely case of the rise of a totalitarian Japan (as in Kerberos) it is possible that the Emperor would be once again co-opted by powerful military figures in collusion with the Imperial Household Agency (who have effective control over the Imperial family, and may play a similar role to that played by the nobility in the Meiji Restoration) but it is highly unlikely he would play an exceedingly direct role in politics, and mostly just act as a head of state. Certainly the idea of him going to America seems out of the question given world conditions in Fallout. (unless there is some lore I missed!)

The idea of a military group stranded in America makes a lot of sense, since Japan trains extensively with the American military, and so having a Colonel with his men would be completely reasonable. Japan would also be very worried about an aggressive China, and would likely look to America for help. Furthermore, it would be a nice nod to the Kerberos concept to have the troops stranded by their superiors and forced to fend for themselves as "Stray Dogs." Having a quest related to their faction dealing with the concept of loyalty would work well too. And remember, these are not knights in shining armor, they'll do what their mission requires, even if it's morally reprehensible!

Best of luck!

I'm still for a European force that uses protect-gear (unless someone's working on setting stuff on the West Coast?)...

That and one could then justify putting in panzers in-game (I'd love to see a creative modder's take on 'modernized' panzers, along the line of a 'what if the West Germans stuck w/ the angular armour designs of WW2, instead of the more curved armour in the Cold War era'). ;D

Wouldn't Japan be better represented w/ the cliched advanced cyberpunk-ish stuff? (*cheers on ghost in the shell/sec. 9-esque mods*) ;D

if you want a good example of what power amror should be look no further than this

http://www.figurerealm.com/Customs/7000/6959-1.jpg

the jin roh armor would be better suited as just a superior type of cobat armor. . .. mybe with some advanced alloy that makes it better than the armors we wear now or that are common in the wasteland :thumbsup:

Well I'm close to having a working version of the mask and helmet done (as separate items) for male characters, though it's not 100% accurate due to not having very accurate reference images to go by - optimally you'd need images from the side and front to do an accurate model, but I've been stuck using promo-images of the Tanaka toy model as reference, which have made it quite difficult getting the angles and curvature right on the elements and seeing areas obscured by helmets and whatnot.

I reckon the two items should be ready for release sometime around the first week or two after New Years depending on how much "real life" stuff I need to do, and how many problems I run into getting the thing GECK'ified. I don't have any screenshots to show right now of the model as I'm away o holidays, but I'll see if I can dig some good ones up for feedback. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived