S.t.a.l.k.e.r like shooting

zmily

hi.. um.. well.. i find the shooting portion of this game just plain stupid.. i actually hate the fact that i can aim at a raider's center mass from 100 meters with a sniper and shoot maybe 10 shots before i get a hit that only makes the raider pissed off.. my small gun skill is at 98 and i am not a bad shooter.. in stalker i can hit a running dog in the head from 300 meters and kill it instantly... and wtf is this poo with 6 head shots at point blank with a 10mm pistol, thes suddenly after shot 6 the head explodes?? thats just dumb...

soo.. my mod request is that someone would help a fellow sniper out and put some realistic bullet physics in this other wise great game.. and remove the awfull auto aim.. i seriously hate auto aim.. it just takes the fun out of shooting.. all in all this game is alot like stalker in many ways, it's just a different story.. imo atleast.. so please! put the fun back in shooting..

i'm sorry for bad spelling and sutch.. but im from norway, and here we write like this:

faen.. skulle ønske noen tok bort auto aim, hater det skikkelig hardt.. det er ikke noe gøy å skyte når kulene spruter alle veier bortsett fra der hvor jeg sikter... død over auto aim...

Enig med deg !

I played Stalker as a Warmup to Fallout and in many ways that game is better. The aiming in STALKER is by far superior. Fallout doesnt even have iron sigths. I find myself using only the scoped weapons or the smg on spray and pray mode. Still love the game but they didnt get ranged weapons rigth.

I still have fallout 1 & 2 installed and I was playing fallout 1 right up to release, so I understand that the originals were not fps's. I appreciate that about them. The turn-based nature meant even if I wasn't paying attention and was randomly swarmed by an overwhelming force, I could take my sweet time and decide what to do. Fallout 3 is not those games, however, and what we have now is an unsatisfying compromise between Oblivion and fallout, with the shooting mechanics of GUN. It just isn't satisfying to know that so many things are not right about the shooting.

Agreed, something must be done about the auto-aim. It provides a disincentive to actually try to hit the enemy, which is plain wrong. After playing Fallout 3 for a week, I find myself playing Counterstrike:Source clicking when the crosshair is just near the person but not lined up - much to my chagrin. I cannot express with a keyboard the amount of frustration I feel in this game with the auto-aim and stupid zoom mode which should have just been iron sights to begin with. Iron sights are the correct way to aim a gun that doesn't have a scope unless you are shooting from the hip. Iron sights would serve exactly the same purpose as the zoom-in, but would be much more satisfying, esp with auto-aim off.

That said, there is a major technical hurdle to making accurate gun mechanics in this game: The guns do not all actually even point at the same place as the crosshair, the game uses the auto-aim to make up for this. I think the 3rd person models would need to be changed as well. Disabling auto-aim may also completely disable VATS- fine by me, but many people consider it part of the core gameplay. Also, has anyone noticed that your character aims the hunting rifle at the ground about 10 ft in front of him/herself whenever you look at them in 3d person?

There are tons of problems with the shooting in the game, like a complete lack of a sense of recoil. Having beaten the game and maxed my small guns skill very early, I was extremely let down that I still couldn't hit an enemy with my sniper rifle at ranges that frankly, are not even approaching real sniping range. A true sniper with good equipment (bipod, rifle, scope) can hit a target in excess of a mile away ( I know OP already knows this but some reading my not). While we're at it, how about deployable bipods on the weapons that should have them. I would like to see "zoom in" replaced for the gatling-type guns and replaced with "deploy bipod". And if you start shooting one of those without deploying the bipod, it should start pointing into the dirt really fast due to the weight. We should be able to cook grenades so they explode at the target and don't bounce around a bunch first. But we should be forced to get the timing right and pay the price if we don't throw it soon enough.While moving, weapons should have much less accuracy, and while running the gun should be held realistically not straight forward. Higher-velocity rounds should actually appear to move faster to the target than their slower cousins. Leaning around corners would be nice eventually. I know people are working on some of these things but maybe if we can get some kind of "realism roundtable" or something going we can get agreement and cooperation and make this happen.

Other things I'd like to see in this mod

+ breathing should cause rifle sway consistent with the circumstances - it should be worst while standing after sprinting and easier while crouched or standing still, etc.

+ make the scroll wheel function as next / prev weapon - I see this being based on the 8 hotkeys you assign from within the pip-boy.

+ add a bind for throwing a grenade without having the unequip your primary weapon. maybe all rifles need slings so that this makes sense instead of dropping the weapon or just somehow stashing it instantly.

+ better enemy AI - I would love it if I constantly had to worry about being outflanked and outmaneuvered by the AI instead of them being so predictable.

+ destructable items!!!!! - how come explosives never hurt wooden doors in this game? Even the original Fallout games had that!

Let's have some more people weigh in on this, please. I also wonder just what is possible depending on if they release the construction set or not.

Her var det visst noen nordmenn, ja :D

I have managed to kill several people from far distances with my sniper rifle with only a few shots, so imo, it's not a big problem, but i understand what you mean, it can get annoying from time to time.

What I meant was that my character was unable to hit predictably with a sniper rifle at those ranges due to the retarded bullet spread even at 100% small guns. No, I don't want my accuracy in the game tied to my character's stats, I want to feel like I am the character, which means I hit or miss on my own aiming skill. The Small Guns skill should modify the chance to score a critical, nothing more. It makes more sense based on how it is animated as well - why is the crosshair perfectly motionless in the center if my character can't keep the gun steady for 2 secs? Guns do not randomly kick in different directions during a given burst, either. Most guns should travel up and maybe slightly to the left or right based on condition, but always in that same direction b/c the path the bullet takes before leaving the barrel does not magically rotate or change properties after each shot - this is esp noticable if you just fire single shots from the assault rifles or smgs. I'm sorry but after playing COD4, Insurgency, and Far Cry 2, I can't stand this crap. :wallbash: It's like D&D with guns but in realtime, the worst of both worlds.

"WTF why did the bullet just miss that super mutant? I lined up the shot perfectly!"

"Dude, you rolled a 3."

"WTF? NO THIS ISN'T HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK"

That dice-based stuff was necessary in the turn based days to account for any of the possible conditions that could not be properly simulated back then, to represent the chaos of combat. Well now we have this thing here called a combat simulator aka "vidyagame" and we can now accurately represent the chaos of combat and have been for some time in recent games. I love the first 2 games for what they are, but this game is not that, not by a long shot. It needs to be made proper in one way or another. I think we have basically two camps that need 2 different mods: one to make the combat actually turn-based to please those folks, and one to make the FPS mechanics more satisfying and realistic for those of us who are not "Lobster-clawed accountants" as Yatze put it. Did I mention I love Fallout 1 & 2 dearly?

• 3 weeks later...
What I meant was that my character was unable to hit predictably with a sniper rifle at those ranges due to the retarded bullet spread even at 100% small guns. No, I don't want my accuracy in the game tied to my character's stats, I want to feel like I am the character, which means I hit or miss on my own aiming skill. The Small Guns skill should modify the chance to score a critical, nothing more. It makes more sense based on how it is animated as well - why is the crosshair perfectly motionless in the center if my character can't keep the gun steady for 2 secs? Guns do not randomly kick in different directions during a given burst, either. Most guns should travel up and maybe slightly to the left or right based on condition, but always in that same direction b/c the path the bullet takes before leaving the barrel does not magically rotate or change properties after each shot - this is esp noticable if you just fire single shots from the assault rifles or smgs. I'm sorry but after playing COD4, Insurgency, and Far Cry 2, I can't stand this crap. :wallbash: It's like D&D with guns but in realtime, the worst of both worlds.

"WTF why did the bullet just miss that super mutant? I lined up the shot perfectly!"

"Dude, you rolled a 3."

"WTF? NO THIS ISN'T HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK"

That dice-based stuff was necessary in the turn based days to account for any of the possible conditions that could not be properly simulated back then, to represent the chaos of combat. Well now we have this thing here called a combat simulator aka "vidyagame" and we can now accurately represent the chaos of combat and have been for some time in recent games. I love the first 2 games for what they are, but this game is not that, not by a long shot. It needs to be made proper in one way or another. I think we have basically two camps that need 2 different mods: one to make the combat actually turn-based to please those folks, and one to make the FPS mechanics more satisfying and realistic for those of us who are not "Lobster-clawed accountants" as Yatze put it. Did I mention I love Fallout 1 & 2 dearly?

Why did you play Fallout 3, a RPG? When you want aiming on your skills, play a shooter, not Fallout 3. RPG are disigned to evolve you ingame skills and not to rely on reality skills. If this is you problem, fallout 3 wasn't the right game for you to begin with. And another info: Weapons in reality are not so accurate you might think and 200 years old weapon are even worse.

I agree the firefights in stalker were top notch. If someone were able to bring it up to that level I'd be a happy camper.

Iron sights are good.

I don't think that increasing your accuracy as you level up is such a bad idea. In the real world, with experience you're able to hold a rifle steadier, etc.

Archived