Simple Nifskope Request

Rennn

I've tried, to no avail, to change where a mesh looks for its texture. I took a mesh from vanilla Skyrim, and made my own texture from a photo. Now, I just need the mesh to use the new texture so it can be standalone from the vanilla mesh.

I'll email you with the mesh and texture, if you want to do this.

Since this is the only standalone mesh in my mod, I thought it'd be much faster to just post it as a request instead of groping my way through Nifskope and messing more stuff up.

Please, I've been trying to get this working over many attempts, and it's really needed for a mod.

Edited by Rennn

Changing where the mesh looks for textures is easy enough...just go to your Skyrim/Data/Textures folder and create a new folder - name it whatever you're calling the weapon like "Bob's Big Sword" or whatever, now copy and paste your textures into there. Load the mesh you want to retexture in Nifskope, open two instances of NifSkope...one for the 1st Person weapon and one for the weapon...like in my example I'm using the greatsword so I'd load one Nifskope with 1stpersonsteelgreatsword.nif and the second with steelgreatsword.nif...these are the first person sword and its worn/sheathed version...you need both.

Now in Nifskope:

Click the BSFadeNode to expand it by clicking the little arrow next to it.

Look for the Nitrishape with the weapon name by it...ignore the others. So I'm going to expand the one with 1stpersonsteelgreatsword by it.

Under that look for the BSLightingPropertyShader, expand it.

Click on BSShaderTextureSet

In the window below labeled Block Details you'll see Textures, expand it.

You've now found the textures...lets replace them. You'll see three that you need to worry about - in my case its:

Steelclaymore.dds - This is the texture

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/steelclaymore.jpg

SteelClaymore_n - This is the normal map it controls how lighting interacts with the mesh and adding texture details that aren't actually modeled onto the mesh itself.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/steelclaymore_n.jpg

SteelClaymore_m - This is the specular may and determines what areas are shiny or dull, light areas are shinier than dark areas.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/steelclaymore_m.jpg

To replace a texture right click its path and select Texture then Choose. A window will pop open and you can browse to your Skyrim/Data/Textures/Your Weapon Folder you created and select your texture.

If you created a normal and specular map do the same thing to replace them. Your first person weapon will now have your texture on it in Nifskope. Repeat this for the other Nifskope windows with the worn weapon.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/NifskopeTexture.jpg

Now go back to your Skyrim folder and in Data/Meshes folder create a new folder with your weapon name...Again like Bob's Big Sword or whatever you want. Save your .nif files to this folder naming them1stpersonBobsBigSword and BobsbigSword respectively.

Now open the Creation kit and

by ghosu to create new forms and finish adding your custom textured weapon into Skyrim by saving your own .esp plugin.

If you still can't get it or just don't want to bother let me know and I'll do it.

Edited by Jennifur68

If you still can't get it or just don't want to bother let me know and I'll do it.

I've done exactly that many times, but the CK tosses up a warning about the mesh being invalid when I try to load it in the ck, and the plant ends up invisible. Thank you for offering to help, I'm hoping it's just a random bug for me.

For some reason I can't upload the file to attach it to this post, so if you pm me with your email I'll send the mesh and texture. If you don't want to do that, I could always upload them as a resource mod on the Nexus.

Edited by Rennn