New to ALL of this

KingCuddly

Hi there, King(or Cuddly) here. I'm brand new to all of this modding stuff (HardCore PS3 lover but decided to give PC games a try) and none of the Mods I have installed (With the NexusModManager) seem to be working for me, I.E. I am trying to get the dreadra race mod to work but it doesn't show up in the Character creation menu. And also just some mods in gen I should get to help with graphics and smoother game play(And all around fun/awesomeness) I have beat the game before so any thing that would be epic is appreciated.

This may sound glaringly simple, but did you activate the ESPs?

I personally dislike NMM, it is very temperamental and can make mods not work right completely randomly(though most of the time it works just fine), despite making it a breeze to install and uninstall them. But, I've been installing mods the old fashion way for years...

The problem with installing mods the "old fashioned way" is that it can be a terrifying experience (even if it's merely extracting files from an archive and pasting them somewhere) for people who don't normally mess around with files (op also said he usually games on consoles). The only issue I had with NMM was it getting mods confused if I used it in offline mode. No idea why, but logging in worked.

But I'm curious, what exactly mods were loaded, and why don't they work? Will need to be specific, as different types of mods can cause different issues.

Edited by Trucidation

The problem with installing mods the "old fashioned way" is that it can be a terrifying experience (even if it's merely extracting files from an archive and pasting them somewhere) for people who don't normally mess around with files (op also said he usually games on consoles). The only issue I had with NMM was it getting mods confused if I used it in offline mode. No idea why, but logging in worked.

But I'm curious, what exactly mods were loaded, and why don't they work? Will need to be specific, as different types of mods can cause different issues.

True. I started out on computers, went to consoles, then back to computers. Even when i was like, 12 I was installing mods for zoo tycoon, and I had to do the drag and drop thing then. To me, it's the simplest thing in the world... just drag and drop. If NMM didn't decided to randomly refuse to launch, or download things, or move or activate my files, I'd probably use it more. Seriously though, I swear that thing has PMS or something, if it's a bad day for it's just NOT going to cooperate, but the next day, it works perfectly fine... Maybe it just doesn't like me.

SKSE makes it just close as soon as i try to load a game (I know because i tried them one at a time) and I have no problem C/P them into the file, I am computer fluent, just not mod fluent lol as for what mods were on, All in pic. Also much more my first time (like 30sum) and I learned that doesn't work lol so I cut way back, but I can't figure out how to use the custom classes. and to answer your question no, I don't even know what the ESPs are. This is literally my 1st time modding ever.

SKSE makes it just close as soon as i try to load a game (I know because i tried them one at a time) and I have no problem C/P them into the file, I am computer fluent, just not mod fluent lol as for what mods were on, All in pic. Also much more my first time (like 30sum) and I learned that doesn't work lol so I cut way back, but I can't figure out how to use the custom classes. and to answer your question no, I don't even know what the ESPs are. This is literally my 1st time modding ever.

Well there's your problem.

Each line in that box is an ESP or ESM, if it is unchecked, it is not activated. Simply check the box next to every ESP you wish to be active in the game, and then load the game.

You don't "turn on SKSE"; you launch the game using the SKSE loader executable, instead of using the game executable or the SkyrimLauncher executable.

Edit:

What happens when you doubleclick the SKSE loader? The game should launch, and take you to Skyrim's main menu just like if you used the game's executable.

Edit 2:

Okay, big d'oh on my part, I didn't see he has SKSE as a mod. That's weird. That never happens to me, SKSE is SKSE, it doesn't show up in NMM.

What version SKSE do you have, and what version Skyrim do you have? You find the former from the SKSE download documentation, you find the latter when you launch Skyrim, play, then hit ESC to get the menu window - the game version is displayed in the lower left.

Edited by Trucidation

Don't install SKSE with NMM. It does not go in the data folder, it goes in the same folder where TESV.exe is.

Then, as mentioned before, doubleclick SKSE.exe to start skyrim, not tesv.exe Read the SKSE readme it should give you the excact details.

Same goes for HiAlgo boost.

Also, in NMM your picture shows the mods tab, that's where you can install mods, i.e. tell NMM to copy them to your skyrim installation. On the top left corner switch to the plugins tab, that's where you activate the mods. Texture replacers don't need to be activated, they won't show up in that list. Mods that add items will, you need to check the appropiate boxes.

Edited by Grimoa

You don't "turn on SKSE"; you launch the game using the SKSE loader executable, instead of using the game executable or the SkyrimLauncher executable.

Edit:

What happens when you doubleclick the SKSE loader? The game should launch, and take you to Skyrim's main menu just like if you used the game's executable.

Edit 2:

Okay, big d'oh on my part, I didn't see he has SKSE as a mod. That's weird. That never happens to me, SKSE is SKSE, it doesn't show up in NMM.

What version SKSE do you have, and what version Skyrim do you have? You find the former from the SKSE download documentation, you find the latter when you launch Skyrim, play, then hit ESC to get the menu window - the game version is displayed in the lower left.

TY!!!! got it, but when I run with Skse.exe it say i need updated skyrim or w/e Pic included