Dx10/11 Effects in Skyrim

Oblivious12

So, we've got ENB, which is great, don't get me wrong, but it still has one major flaw that irritates me no end: It's directX9. Matter of fact, the entire game is in DirectX9. DirectX11 has been out for a while now, and game developers still won't use it, despite the beautiful 3D modeling you can get using it. Everything from mobile hair, to realistic fur, (fur that looks soft and fuzzy instead of like it's dirty and covered in god-knows-what), and a whole lot more.

So my question is, why haven't any of us modders done any work to push skyrim into DX10 or 11? Realisticly, it's not only a lot more resource-efficient from a computer standpoint, and it would not take that great an amount of fiddling to modify Oblivion's graphics engine to be in DX11, and even less to put it into DX10.

So... please? Can some team of coders out there have pity on a tech junky and add DX10/11 rendering to skyrim? I'll even happily do all the paperwork, organizing, whatever!

From what I understand, the engine already supports DX11, but the shaders only use DX9-based effects.

Perhaps one day there will be a Skyrim Graphics Extender (SKGE?), just like there was an Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE). But I don't quite understand what you mean about ENB Series. With the right settings, it can look absolutely phenomenal - better than pretty much any DX11 games currently out there.

lol

Most constructive.

Edited by demidekidasu

From what I understand, the engine already supports DX11, but the shaders only use DX9-based effects.

Perhaps one day there will be a Skyrim Graphics Extender (SKGE?), just like there was an Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE). But I don't quite understand what you mean about ENB Series. With the right settings, it can look absolutely phenomenal - better than pretty much any DX11 games currently out there.

lol

Most constructive.

Because ENB is all postprocess... DX11 shaders are preprocess. it's the difference between fur looking volumetric and fuzzy versus it looking flat.

DX11 is much more than shaders, and fur can be done fuzzy without DX11.

I feel a little bad about the lol, but there's a billion of these threads, and it's not a feasible task. (with very little gain, IMO)

a) rewrite great portions of the engine code to use DX11 code.

b) do this without actually modifying the exe.

c) and not introduce a thousand new issues.

Art assets don't magically become fantastically jaw-droppingly DX11'fied, much work to be done there too.

I know it's easy to get excited about seeing tech demos, but keep in mind those aren't created with actual gameplay scenarios in mind. I'm still not sold on tessellation either, unless there's some amount of interactivity, like that alien-blasting demo (from nVidia, I think), I don't see much point. Why spend cycles on a whole mesh when we could use a high res asset that makes judicious use of polygons?

Just wait for TES6?

Also, random side note here, I use the name 'Throttle Kitty' on another website, I always see people talking about you on here and think it's me for a split second, then remember no one cares that exist on here. :mellow: Something tells me you didn't get the idea from a furry on a motorcycle though. :whistling:

lol

Most constructive.

Because ENB is all postprocess... DX11 shaders are preprocess. it's the difference between fur looking volumetric and fuzzy versus it looking flat.

I was essentially saying what throttlekitty went on to say. Just because DX11 has more advanced effects does not instantly make it look better. Skyrim is an ugly game with putrified colours and lighting - ENB Series has more impact on how "good" a scene looks than DX11 effects would.

lol

Most constructive.

I was essentially saying what throttlekitty went on to say. Just because DX11 has more advanced effects does not instantly make it look better. Skyrim is an ugly game with putrified colours and lighting - ENB Series has more impact on how "good" a scene looks than DX11 effects would.

All I want is fuzzy fur T.T