What you miss from oblivion that skyrim doesn't have .

Misakichun

I found Oblivion lockpicking to be infuriating, personally. There didn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to how the tumblers moved. The Skyrim version is less rage inducing, though also not very challenging. Frankly, I've never bothered to level Lockpicking with any of my characters, because even the hardest locks can be opened with no perks as long as you are patient enough and have a good supply of picks.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Oblivion lockpicking to be infuriating, personally. There didn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to how the tumblers moved. The Skyrim version is less rage inducing, though also not very challenging. Frankly, I've never bothered to level Lockpicking with any of my characters, because even the hardest locks can be opened with no perks as long as you are patient enough and have a good supply of picks.

In OB, you have a visual clue as well as an audio clue- there's a 'double click' sound

In OB, you could use 'auto attempt', and if you had a lot of picks, just like in Skyrim....

In OB, you have a visual clue as well as an audio clue- there's a 'double click' sound

In OB, you could use 'auto attempt', and if you had a lot of picks, just like in Skyrim....

The Visual part of OB Lockpicking was Better for me.

my game must be messed up i dont have an auto attempt with skyrim like I did with Ob..... thank you to the modders that made the lock pick hacks I got tired of using the consol "unlock"

Something I miss isthe diversity of creatures from Ob.... in Skyrim we have wolves and drauger... I do enjoy hunting dragons

Something I miss isthe diversity of creatures from Ob.... in Skyrim we have wolves and drauger... I do enjoy hunting dragons

Oblivion;

Goblins

Skeletons

Ghosts

Wraiths

Bears

Cats

Rats

Minotaur

Ogres

Imps

Zombies

Dreugh

Slaughterfish

Whisps

Spriggan (? Been awhile since i played Oblivion)

Trolls

Skyrim;

Draugr

Wolves

Bears

Cats

Skeever

Slaughterfish

Giants

Mammoth

Whisps

Whisp Mothers

Spriggan

Horkers

Ice Wraith

Hag Ravens

Trolls

Spiders

Without counting varieties of Daedra-vs-Dragons, critters and humanoids, its 16-S, 16-O. Not a bad matchup, if you ask me. I can't remember if Oblivion had spiders mind you...

Oblivion;

Goblins

Skeletons

Ghosts

Wraiths

Bears

Cats

Rats

Minotaur

Ogres

Imps

Zombies

Dreugh

Slaughterfish

Whisps

Spriggan (? Been awhile since i played Oblivion)

Trolls

Skyrim;

Draugr

Wolves

Bears

Cats

Skeever

Slaughterfish

Giants

Mammoth

Whisps

Whisp Mothers

Spriggan

Horkers

Ice Wraith

Hag Ravens

Trolls

Spiders

Without counting varieties of Daedra-vs-Dragons, critters and humanoids, its 16-S, 16-O. Not a bad matchup, if you ask me. I can't remember if Oblivion had spiders mind you...

Yeah it had Spider Daedras.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110621230329/elderscrolls/images/3/34/SpiderDaedra.jpg

As a disclaimer I will say I have liked every Elder Scrolls game with the exceptions of Battlespire, Shadowkey, and Redguard. I think Skyrim is still a fine game with many technical improvements but it has lost some luster the previous titles had. So if I may get on my soapbox for a moment...

Attributes Being a long time RPG player I am fond of statistics that differentiate characters like strength or agility. Orcs should be stronger than Bosmer by default, etc.

Removed Skills Even though many like acrobatics were sub par I liked having them on a RP basis.

Spell Variety Elemental Shields, Reflect, Absorb, Fortify, Damage, Drain, etc. All gone, why, hell if I know.

Summons 4 Daedra, 2 familliars, 3 Undead(Dawnguard), and 1 Resurrection spell is pathetic compared to 20+ summons we had in Oblivion like Xivilai, Hungers, Spider Daedra, and Liches.

Spell Crafting Kinda goes without saying.

Enemy Variety Elder Scrolls has wiki pages full of fascinating and strange creatures yet we get very little of that in Skyrim. I miss all the types of undead, daedra, and mythical creatures. Drauger while neat get old fast and I would kill to see some Minotaurs, Wraiths, Zombies, Scamps, Imps, Ogres, Goblins, Liches, etc.

Linear Dungeons I really like that every dungeon has a written or implied story to it so this is a minor gripe overall. However I have to state that never getting lost or always without fail taking a secret backdoor to get out severely cheapens the experience. So much potential and so much done right with Skyrim's dungeons and then they botch the one thing that has never been a problem before.

Large Cities Not that they have ever been massive, but the cities in Skyrim look like copy/pasted villages far too small to be the places we read about in lore. Triple the size even if it is copy/pasted buildings and you can make the districts different cells because of the toasters that are consoles.

Population Skyrim has only 784 npcs compared to 3244 in Morrowind. Because of this most people are important to a quest and thus immortal and have a "requires key" house. I am not asking for 5000 fleshed out characters, even generated names, faces, and houses with phoned in "Arrow in the knee" dialogue would be nice so I at least got people to steal from or get a sense of "This is a large population center". If I can name every single NPC a town off the top of my head you are doing something wrong.

Size Whether it be the forest of Falkreath Hold or the marshes of Hjaalmarch you never feel lost in the wilderness since a settlement is always in sight. I would have liked a world about 4 times the size but with the same amount of locations as vanilla. Not more content wise but simply more distance to give the areas some scale and adventure. I mean Movarth's Lair in like 100yards away from Morthal and we can see the ugly square edge of the map from atop Hrothgar. They could have at least added some non computing intensive, super low res water and land around the play area so you are not taken out of the immersion.

Quest Hand Holding Want quest markers? That is fine with me, the Sherlock Holmes play style of Morrowind wasn't for everyone. However don't write your quest with the assumption that "They don't need any semblance of where they are going, the magic marker will show them". At least add something like "You need to save Dan. He is being held by necromancers in a lair along the northern cliffs of the Jerral Mountains by Falkreath." instead of "Save Dan" *insert mystical arrow*. I mean for f*#@s sake you are not breaking the forth wall at that point you are going through it like the Kool Aid Man and making the clairvoyance spell, which was an awesome idea, completely obsolete.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I honestly believe most of these problems are due to consoles and the player base they incubate. Horse power wise the 360 and PS3 are holding back what an open world RPG could be and are likely the cause of a lot of the loop holes and what appears to be lazy design in the visuals department. Lastly, while this is a negative stereotype, it is still one I feel holds true from my own first hand experience that a very large portion of the console player base is young, impatient, or what I call Bro-Gamers. With games like Call of Duty perpetuating the market they want instant gratification and mouthbreathingly simple mechanics in games. Classics like Baldur's Gate or even Morrowind would never retain the complexity that made them great in todays day and age because the market share of gamers wouldn't be willing to commit the braincells to silly things like stats or riddles.

So I don't end sounding like a Negative Nancy I will again state that I still think Skyrim is an awesome game and what it did commit to it did very well. It just dropped the ball on some key aspects that would have made it Bethesda's godly contribution to mankind.

Edited by NAPALM13092

As a disclaimer I will say I have liked every Elder Scrolls game with the exceptions of Battlespire, Shadowkey, and Redguard. I think Skyrim is still a fine game with many technical improvements but it has lost some luster the previous titles had. So if I may get on my soapbox for a moment...

Attributes Being a long time RPG player I am fond of statistics that differentiate characters like strength or agility. Orcs should be stronger than Bosmer by default, etc.

Removed Skills Even though many like acrobatics were sub par I liked having them on a RP basis.

Spell Variety Elemental Shields, Reflect, Absorb, Fortify, Damage, Drain, etc. All gone, why, hell if I know.

Summons 4 Daedra, 2 familliars, 3 Undead(Dawnguard), and 1 Resurrection spell is pathetic compared to 20+ summons we had in Oblivion like Xivilai, Hungers, Spider Daedra, and Liches.

Enemy Variety Elder Scrolls has wiki pages full of fascinating and strange creatures yet we get very little of that in Skyrim. I miss all the types of undead, daedra, and mythical creatures. Drauger while neat get old fast and I would kill to see some Minotaurs, Wraiths, Zombies, Scamps, Imps, Ogres, Goblins, Liches, etc.

Linear Dungeons I really like that every dungeon has a written or implied story to it so this is a minor gripe overall. However I have to state that never getting lost or always without fail taking a secret backdoor to get out severely cheapens the experience. So much potential and so much done right with Skyrim's dungeons and then they botch the one thing that has never been a problem before.

Large Cities Not that they have ever been massive, but the cities in Skyrim look like copy/pasted villages far too small to be the places we read about in lore. Triple the size even if it is copy/pasted buildings and you can make the districts different cells because of the toasters that are consoles.

Population Skyrim has only 784 npcs compared to 3244 in Morrowind. Because of this most people are important to a quest and thus immortal and have a "requires key" house. I am not asking for 5000 fleshed out characters, even generated names, faces, and houses with phoned in "Arrow in the knee" dialogue would be nice so I at least got people to steal from or get a sense of "This is a large population center". If I can name every single NPC a town off the top of my head you are doing something wrong.

Size Whether it be the forest of Falkreath Hold or the marshes of Hjaalmarch you never feel lost in the wilderness since a settlement is always in sight. I would have liked a world about 4 times the size but with the same amount of locations as vanilla. Not more content wise but simply more distance to give the areas some scale and adventure. I mean Movarth's Lair in like 100yards away from Morthal and we can see the ugly square edge of the map from atop Hrothgar. They could have at least added some non computing intensive, super low res water and land around the play area so you are not taken out of the immersion.

Quest Hand Holding Want quest markers? That is fine with me, the Sherlock Holmes play style of Morrowind wasn't for everyone. However don't write your quest with the assumption that "They don't need any semblance of where they are going, the magic marker will show them". At least add something like "You need to save Dan. He is being held by necromancers in a lair along the northern cliffs of the Jerral Mountains by Falkreath." instead of "Save Dan" *insert mystical arrow*. I mean for f*#@s sake you are not breaking the forth wall at that point you are going through it like the Kool Aid Man and making the clairvoyance spell, which was an awesome idea, completely obsolete.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I honestly believe most of these problems are due to consoles and the player base they incubate. Horse power wise the 360 and PS3 are holding back what an open world RPG could be and are likely the cause of a lot of the loop holes and what appears to be lazy design in the visuals department. Lastly, while this is a negative stereotype, it is still one I feel holds true from my own first hand experience that a very large portion of the console player base is young, impatient, or what I call Bro-Gamers. With games like Call of Duty perpetuating the market they want instant gratification and mouthbreathingly simple mechanics in games. Classics like Baldur's Gate or even Morrowind would never retain the complexity that made them great in todays day and age because the market share of gamers wouldn't be willing to commit the braincells to silly things like stats or riddles.

So I don't end sounding like a Negative Nancy I will again state that I still think Skyrim is an awesome game and what it did commit to it did very well. It just dropped the ball on some key aspects that would have made it Bethesda's godly contribution to mankind.

Maybe Bethesda Should make a High Rock or Hammerfell DLC or Both so that you get more Gameplay Experience.

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/gallery_files/minibigmaproadslore31gv.jpg

my god.. your opinions are exactly that of my own. *sigh* i miss the days when you could sell or lose the first quest item you get and be completely unable to even start the main quest.. is the community getting more dimwitted? the deterioration was measurable.

in morrowind it was almost work it out for yourself, the oblivion was hand holding but almost not in your face and was sort of covered by the "here ,i'll mark it on your map" to avoid breaking the fourth wall too much, and then skyrim.

even the creation kit is simplified.. leaving us with tons of armour mods by new modders swamping over the great quest mods and new embs when we are all waiting for some amazing quest mods *cough* tearsofthefiendskyrimedition *cough* is it only going to get worse from here on? :ohdear:

my god.. your opinions are exactly that of my own. *sigh* i miss the days when you could sell or lose the first quest item you get and be completely unable to even start the main quest.. is the community getting more dimwitted? the deterioration was measurable.

in morrowind it was almost work it out for yourself, the oblivion was hand holding but almost not in your face and was sort of covered by the "here ,i'll mark it on your map" to avoid breaking the fourth wall too much, and then skyrim.

even the creation kit is simplified.. leaving us with tons of armour mods by new modders swamping over the great quest mods and new embs when we are all waiting for some amazing quest mods *cough* tearsofthefiendskyrimedition *cough* is it only going to get worse from here on? :ohdear:

Its terrible that people play games to unwind after a stressful day and don't want to have to think too much about a game. Absolutely shocking, it should be illegal.