Help: Strange Transparent Squares

vollach

Hi,

I recently returned to play Fallout 3 after a long time, I seems to have a strange graphical problem, there's these long diagonal line of transparent squares across the screen that moves with me, it's visible mostly over grass because of the color of the grass.

My game is set to Ultra graphic settings, all maxed out, I am using quite a long list of mods as well.

Here's a couple of screenshots displaying the problem:

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/445/screenshot0do.th.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/5431/screenshot1rm.th.png

Any idea what could be the cause for the issue?

I'm running the game on Windows 7 X64, Core i5 CPU (4 cores), 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon 7870 Graphic Card with the latest drivers.

I'm attaching my Load Order from FOMM.

Thank you.

OK, I kept trying multiple things to solve the issue, I eventually found a tweaking guide for Fallout 3 in which every settings in the ini & in the config program for fallout 3 was explained, after reading I disabled Transparency Multisampling in the game's configuration and those annoying semi-transparent squares seems to finally be gone.

The question is, why, I never had this problem before, well, I never used the game with my current machine as well, but I doubt it should happen, could there be a setting in the AMD Control Panel that I can change to fix it so I can re enable Transparency Multisampling?

I'll appreciate an answer.

Thank you.

------EDIT------

Correction: Disabling Transparency Multisampling didn't solve the problem, just made it less noticeable, it did solve major flickering issues with some clothes like the sexy sleepwear and naughty nightwear.

Any ideas?

Edited by vollach

Still don't know what is causing those strange squares but it seems I managed to solve it by installing "Project Reality Cinematic ENB", so far so good at least, I didn't see the problem yet since installing that mod, now if I could just get rid of those random crashes I have.

I use FOMM and use it to toggle archive invalidation on, that is not my problem, mods works correctly, at lease most mods.

I think the square issue I had before installing project reality cinematic ENB was due to antialiasing and/or anisotropic issues the game have with my graphic card, once project reality cinematic ENB and I disabled antialiasing and anisotropic in game settings the problem disappeared.

As for the crashes, they are totally random but they are different, sometimes I get a CTD and sometimes a BSOD, the BSODs I get are all different, some relates to audio card .sys file. others to graphic card dll or sys files and most to DirectX graphic module, all of which have the code page_fault_in_no_paged_area at the top, it's not overheating, I checked, beside some of the BSODs happened seconds after loading my game, my PC didn't have time to overheat and I get no BSODs in other games or any other situation, just fallout 3.

And by random I mean it could take between seconds to a few hours of gameplay to have such a crash.

The only 2 things I can think of I haven't tried yet to solve the crashes & BSODs is lowering the graphic details and/or using normal or 200% version of HD textures mods I installed instead of the 400% variation.

------EDIT------

OK, just and update, it seems that downgrading the HD textures to 200% instead of 400% solved the BSOD, yesterday I had like 3-4 of them, today I had none and I've been playing for hours, also only had 2-3 CTDs within the same time.

------EDIT 2------

Well, After long hours of Gameplay & 4 or 5 CTDs a BSOD happened again, once again in the Directx Graphic Kernel, most crashes & BSODs happened in or around Arefu though, only mod I have that changes arefu is Arefu Expanded.

Lowering the HD textures to 200% from the instead of the 400% variation did help though as previously mentioned.

Edited by vollach

Disable the mod.. and see if you are still experiencing crashes in Arefu. If you don't.. that means you found your problem.

Oh, Great, now I have a problem with my saves, it seems that after save #66 the game started saving again from 0 and then again after 27 in the 2nd set, again started from 0, now I have problem loading my latest saves, with or without arefu expanded enabled in FOMM, it either load and never finish loading or the game freeze or my entire computer freeze with a screeching sound coming from the computer case, in that case, after a few minutes the computer turns off and then back on again, temperatures are still perfectly fine though.

Seems like I'll have to try disabling Arefu Expanded and loading all the way back to Save 66 while deleting all those duplicate numbered saves, hopefully it will work and continue save in the correct order.

------EDIT-----

Well, seems as if it is indeed saving in correct order after doing just that, problem is it set me a whole lot back in the game, also, despite Arefu Expanded set as disabled, the started quests from it still show up in the quests list on the pipboy.

Try editing the quests using these console commands

• movetoqt - move player to current quest target
  • showquestlog - show the quest log, everything the player has encountered and done
  • getqc <base id> - checks if the current quest is complete. if true = 1 false = 0
  • resetquest <base id> - reset quest
  • sqs <base id> - list all quest objective levels (stages). Use with setstage.
  • getstage <base id> - gets the objective level of a quest.
  • setstage <base id> <Quest Objective> - sets a quest to an objective level useful for resetting bugged scripts
  • CompleteAllObjectives <base id> - sets all currently obtained objectives for the quest to a completed status. However, setstage must be used to obtain the next objective level (if any) in order to proceed normally, useful for bypassing a bugged or broken objective
  • sqt - list current quest targets
  • sqv <base id> - list quest variables
  • set <"base id".variable> to <value> - change quest variable to value NOTE: Requires quotes around the base id of the quest
    • Example: In New Vegas, set "000E61A5".MetRangerAndy to 1 will fix Raul's quest if you've already spoken to Ranger Andy before you recruit him.

[*]saq - start all quests[*]SetQuestObject - setquestobject <baseid> <1> will set the NPC or item to quest object or not (1 is, 0 not)

Edited by Valahul

Try editing the quests using these console commands

• movetoqt - move player to current quest target
  • showquestlog - show the quest log, everything the player has encountered and done
  • getqc <base id> - checks if the current quest is complete. if true = 1 false = 0
  • resetquest <base id> - reset quest
  • sqs <base id> - list all quest objective levels (stages). Use with setstage.
  • getstage <base id> - gets the objective level of a quest.
  • setstage <base id> <Quest Objective> - sets a quest to an objective level useful for resetting bugged scripts
  • CompleteAllObjectives <base id> - sets all currently obtained objectives for the quest to a completed status. However, setstage must be used to obtain the next objective level (if any) in order to proceed normally, useful for bypassing a bugged or broken objective
  • sqt - list current quest targets
  • sqv <base id> - list quest variables
  • set <"base id".variable> to <value> - change quest variable to value NOTE: Requires quotes around the base id of the quest
    • Example: In New Vegas, set "000E61A5".MetRangerAndy to 1 will fix Raul's quest if you've already spoken to Ranger Andy before you recruit him.

[*]saq - start all quests[*]SetQuestObject - setquestobject <baseid> <1> will set the NPC or item to quest object or not (1 is, 0 not)

Thanks, I'll try that, I'll also try and see if I can salvage some of my more advanced saves somehow, I mean, the current save that works is when I was on my way from GNR to The Mall to get the dish, I was long after that and was scouting the wasteland to discover places and quests before continuing on to Rivet City, It'll be annoying to redo it all, hopefully some newer save is salvageable and I can do less work over again.

Anyway, I Hope that will indeed be the end of the problem *fingers crossed* but knowing Fallout 3 I won't be surprised if another problem will surface.

Ok, I think I managed to salvage one of my more recent saves and resave it.

Now, as for the console commands you told me to try to fix the issue with the Arefu Expanded quest still being in the pipboy while the mod is disabled, they are all requiring that I know the quest base IDs, I don't.

How can I find out the quests base IDs?

-------EDIT-------

Nevermind, I figured it out using the TESsnip option in FOMM.

Edited by vollach